Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare - how do you get backup supplies
Medicare - how do you get backup supplies
I would like to keep a backup of various supplies (mask,nasal cushion,hose, filters) so that when they wear out or become disfunctional, I can replace them without a wait.  When I call my supplier, they ask me questions required by medicare:  Is your mask torn, discolored? Is hose torn, discolored? and so on...and then they ask a final question that asks "do you have any of these supplies on hand unopened?  Since I am trying to get recommended backups, I must essentially answer each question inaccurately, or they won't send me the supplies.

I actually order supplies well beyond the medicare recommended replacement periods, but I still get the same questions and have to give the same answers.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare - how do you get backup supplies
That's just weird. Medicare has a replacement schedule and, as far as I know, it doesn't mean your supplies have to be dead.

I need to call mine to get supplies. If I remember to do it, that is. Curious as to what they ask me.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I get the same drill when I call my DME.

I wanted a replacement water chamber.  They wanted to know what was wrong with mine.

I asked for a new heated hose.  They asked if my current one had leaks.  

I asked for replacement nasal pillows.  They asked me if something was wrong with my current pillows.

I then asked them why they keep badgering me with the same questions every month.  
They said it is Medicare policy that they ask. Oh-jeez

I don’t buy into their crap, but you sort of have to play along if you want insurance to pay.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the same questions. I don't know if that's a requirement from Medicare because the automated system does all the asking of questions. When I get a real person calling or when visiting the DME, they simply ask if I want the supplies available per the schedule.

I compare it to unemployment's automated system that has to ask the job search and availability questions. The difference being the unemployment's automation gets answers as sworn statement and carry a penalty for false answers obviously because of fraud. The unemployment office will also collect those answers on a signed form which serves as an affidavit.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
During 18 years and 5 DMEs I was only asked this type of question one time having to do with a new CPAP machine when I was due according to the schedule. I told the DME that I had to keep the filter in place with a rubber band and she said "if ti's held together with rubber bands you need a new one". Otherwise, I just email my DME when the schedule shows that I am due for supplies, they get approval from my insurance (Medicare Advantage) and I pick up the supplies. In a year I will be eligible for a new machine and a new O2 concentrator, it'll be interesting to see how that goes. It is important to build up a stash of supplies to avoid interruptions.

If you are otherwise satisfied with your DME you can usually work around the questions. Otherwise, you could consider checking with a different DME if that is an option in your area. It's crazy that there is so little consistency from one DME to another. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I could see their questioning if you're asking for supplies off schedule. Otherwise, doesn't make sense. FWIW my DME asked the usage question (literally Are you using your ASV?) and that's about it. I do believe my schedule emulates Medicare for replacement parts. lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the usual replacement schedule.  Not sure if it is complete or up to date.

A7034  CPAP Mask                      (Every 3 months)
A7035  CPAP Headgear               (Every 3-6 months)
A7036  CPAP Chin Strap              (Every 6 months)
A7037  CPAP Tubing                   (Every 3 months)
A7038  Disposable Filter              (2 new filters every month)
A7039  Non-disposable Filters      (1 new filter every 6 months)
A7030  Full Face Mask                 (Every 3 months)
A7029  Nasal Pillows                   (2 per month)
A7046  Humidifier Chamber        (Every 6 months)
E0601  CPAP                             Generally, 3 to 5 years.)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been getting those questions from my DME in just the last year. I assumed they were now documenting orders better to protect themselves, since they had previously been accused of pushing supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2018, 10:58 AM)OpalRose Wrote: This is the usual replacement schedule.  Not sure if it is complete or up to date.

A7034  CPAP Mask                      (Every 3 months)
A7035  CPAP Headgear               (Every 3-6 months)
A7036  CPAP Chin Strap              (Every 6 months)
A7037  CPAP Tubing                   (Every 3 months)
A7038  Disposable Filter              (2 new filters every month)
A7039  Non-disposable Filters      (1 new filter every 6 months)
A7030  Full Face Mask                 (Every 3 months)
A7029  Nasal Pillows                   (2 per month)
A7046  Humidifier Chamber        (Every 6 months)
E0601  CPAP                             Generally, 3 to 5 years.)

That's pretty much what I see from my DME except my current DME is providing one Full Face Mask plus one replaceable cushion every three months. I clean my mask daily using a disposable wipe and can easily get three months without the extra cushion but it's nice for backup. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine almost follows that schedule. I get several disposable filters per order, random number. Mask cushion similar. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 280 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 294 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,824 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 211 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 241 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 269 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 234 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.