Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medication/s for OSA
Medication/s for OSA
Afternoon,
Anyone take any medication in addition to doing CPAP therapy? I'm talking about medications like Provigil, etc.

I am curious. I did a search but didn't find too much information and what I did find was years old.

I'm on Provigil and it was great at first (while waiting for sleep study, CPAP, etc) but it seems to be wearing off. I am only like 7 days on CPAP and still take it. I think I was hoping to end the medication when I felt "instantly" better with CPAP, but the latter just isn't happeing. I know it's early and it can take time, so I'll take both until I reach some sort of equilibrium. Then again, does anyone do both and just have that as thheir treatment modality?

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medication/s for OSA
I think you should talk to your doctor about that. This isn't something a non medically trained person is likely to be able to give you good advice about.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, jedirye. I've been a member of this forum for about 6 months now, and I have seen an occasional post from people taking Provigil or Nuvigil. The ones that I remember were from people who still had excessive daytime sleepiness even after CPAP therapy, but it doesn't seem to be a very common topic of discussion.

I hope that your CPAP therapy will soon be having a stronger effect for you. The speed of response seems to vary greatly for different people.

Welcome

(07-21-2016, 08:06 AM)jedirye Wrote: Afternoon,
Anyone take any medication in addition to doing CPAP therapy? I'm talking about medications like Provigil, etc.

I am curious. I did a search but didn't find too much information and what I did find was years old.

I'm on Provigil and it was great at first (while waiting for sleep study, CPAP, etc) but it seems to be wearing off. I am only like 7 days on CPAP and still take it. I think I was hoping to end the medication when I felt "instantly" better with CPAP, but the latter just isn't happeing. I know it's early and it can take time, so I'll take both until I reach some sort of equilibrium. Then again, does anyone do both and just have that as thheir treatment modality?

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
Jedirye - You are not alone. At night, machine wise I am on a Bi-Pap ASV with full face mask set at EPAP of 15 and IPAP of +4 to max with 600mg of Gabapentin. PLUS, in the AM I take 400mg Provigil and 30mg Vyvanse. I sometimes wonder if the Provigil is still really doing anything and I will take only 200mg. Wow, there is a big difference. Even though we still may be tired a lot, we forget how bad it was without the Pap and drugs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool, was just wondering if people use both and continue to use both.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2016, 08:06 AM)jedirye Wrote: I think I was hoping to end the medication when I felt "instantly" better with CPAP, but the latter just isn't happeing. I know it's early and it can take time, so I'll take both until I reach some sort of equilibrium.

It takes time for some of us to adapt to sleeping with mask and hose. Until that happens we just have to be patient and wait for that good night's sleep. It helps to know that CPAP directly addresses the cause whereas medications only treat the symptoms.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're not alone. I've been on CPAP since 10/2014. My SA is successfully treated, using AHI as the best indicator, but I seldom get through the day without serious sleepiness. My sleep doc wrote me a prescription for 50 mg Trazodone on Friday. I'll be taking it along with .25 mg Xanax as a test for thirty days. If it doesn't help, we'll try something else. Stay tuned....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 259 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,485 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Apnimed - New OSA medication? Cpalms 1 614 07-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Medication affects on OSCAR data coldfeet7 1 497 03-20-2022, 10:50 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  CPAP medication Big Guy 4 954 01-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Medication, a cautionary tale tinyobject 4 1,025 09-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.