Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medication to help me be less sleepy during the day?
Medication to help me be less sleepy during the day?
Hi forum, Since I started my treatment last July I feel less sleepy, but still usually take a nap daily - sleep about 7 hours at night. The naps are more refreshing than they used to be, but I had hoped I would get past feeling the need. It can really get in the way, especially when you're traveling or have company. And especially since I'm not supposed to nap without the machine.
Anyway, my question is this: Do any of you have this problem and have you asked your doctor for some medication to make you less sleepy during the day? I'm thinking of asking my doctor to prescribe something. I'm disappointed that using the machine hasn't changed my life like I hoped it would.
I know you aren't giving out medical advice and I suppose it sounds like I'm asking for it. But, mainly just wondering about your experiences. Are others out there still sleepy and what are you doing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medication to help me be less sleepy during the day?
We tend to see everything through the prism of sleep apnea, but there may be other reasons for your sleepiness. Most obvious candidates can be detected with a simple blood test, such as low haemoglobin (anaemia), low thyroid output, low levels of critical vitamins and minerals.

There could also be issues of sleep hygene which are preventing you from getting fully refreshing sleep. This might include an uncomfortable bed, too hot / cold bedroom, external noises intruding.

Finally, a lot of people just like to have an afternoon nap and feel refreshed by it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2017, 05:01 PM)sleepytimegal Wrote: Hi forum, Since I started my treatment last July I feel less sleepy, but still usually take a nap daily - sleep about 7 hours at night. The naps are more refreshing than they used to be, but I had hoped I would get past feeling the need. It can really get in the way, especially when you're traveling or have company. And especially since I'm not supposed to nap without the machine.
Anyway, my question is this: Do any of you have this problem and have you asked your doctor for some medication to make you less sleepy during the day? I'm thinking of asking my doctor to prescribe something. I'm disappointed that using the machine hasn't changed my life like I hoped it would.
I know you aren't giving out medical advice and I suppose it sounds like I'm asking for it. But, mainly just wondering about your experiences. Are others out there still sleepy and what are you doing?

I too love a good nap. One and a half hours (on the machine) is like heaven. It's the only thing that gets me through. I must admit things are getting better slowly. Days without a nap are getting better too.

I have been on the machine since last March.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are in situations where sleepiness could be hazardous, modafanil (Provigil) helps some. Discuss with your physician.

Also, be aware that lab tests just inside the limits may not be normal for you, so be sure to review any of them thoroughly.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I started armodafinil last month, after about 6 months on the machine. I was still very tired most days, even though my AHI is in the good range most days, It's somewhat helpful, though the side effects are annoying.

My side effect bag includes upset stomach, gas, and headaches. The doctor is fine with me taking it only on days that I think I'm going to need it, and actually recommended I not take it every day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 542 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 316 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Still Sleepy? HotdogFriendo 4 352 01-15-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHI, compliant but still sleepy jamwin 2 331 11-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jamwin
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 243 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Low AHI, Comfortable w/ APAP but Still Sleepy SJGD7 3 1,095 10-10-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Still sleepy during the day - low tidal, high resp.? mildOA 3 484 09-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.