Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus Overheat!
Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus Overheat!
Just had a scary incident - my Medistrom CPAP battery sounded its overheating alarm. I had it plugged in to recharge after using it last night during a power outage. 

When I picked it up to switch off the power and investigate, the battery was hot. Hot hot. Hot enough to burn me.

I pulled out the charging cable and have it on a non-combustible surface, cooling. My battery is about five years old. I charge it periodically, it’s never kept in direct sunlight. Never had a problem with the battery before.

I’m just grateful at this point that we were here when the alarm sounded.  I’ve checked the user manual and the alarm was its “operating environment is too hot” signal. It’s about 16C in my home right now and midwinter. If we hadn’t been home to unplug it, though, this could have been very bad, as in housefire kind of bad.

I’ll contact Medistrom about it, but my takeaway is this: this one’s going into the recycling and when I replace it, I will never leave it charging unattended.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus Overheat!
It is not enough to place a hot power supply containing li-ion cells on a non-combustible surface; it must be isolated from everything, preferably outdoors on a concrete pad, to prevent a thermal runaway event (uncontrollable exothermic reaction) from sending a hot self-sustaining fire jet that can travel many feet in any direction. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKF8XfCVKQ
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Will a battery box, of some type, be able to control a lithium ion fire?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not aware of any battery box available that makes that claim. The heat and gases of a runaway reaction would have to be vented to avoid explosive pressure buildup, and the materials would have to contain the extreme heat and not contribute to combustion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have to say no on the battery box! Most are made of some type of molded plastic and would likely catch fire themselves causing an even bigger problem. They may be somewhat chemical resistant but I have not seen one that is fire resistant, at least not the ones I have used.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being a Lithium-ion battery, you should consider that something is sending you a message to get that little sucker outside, away from anything you don't want destroyed. Batteries do have a useful life, and I think you have exceeded it in the Medistorm.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
The vrla batteries seem sort of safe to use beside your bed to power your cpap but do you think there is ANY danger using one of these made-overseas lithium ** 28,000 mili amp hour battery banks beside your bed hooked up to your cpap** from the fire risk standpoint?
Post Reply Post Reply
I store my R/C lipo batteries on the garage floor (bare concrete), inside the interior cavities of a couple of cinderblocks. On top of the cinderblocks, I have plastic bags filled with sand. In the event of a thermal excursion, the concrete on all sides but the top are excellent insulators, and the plastic bag would quickly melt, smothering the batteries in sand. Smothering / cutting off the air supply, is the best way to contain a lithium fire. 

Not sure if this is practical for you, but wanted to pass along.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how much fireproofing is practical for a battery that has to sit by my bed while I’m sleeping. Although I guess I could move my bed into the garage! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I would rig something up with an AGM and trickle charger with the 12VDC connection for the XPAP. Seems safer.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  Pilot-24 no longer recognizes CPAP DanDV 1 623 08-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Medistrom Pilot Charging ? Lindah 1 836 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Lindah
  How Many Nights of Travel with the PILOT-24 LITE battery with Resmed Air Mini dreamstream 1 1,176 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Polarity of Pilot-24 Lite DC output? psteckler 11 1,943 08-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Last Post: psteckler
Question Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus and Co-Pilot 24: Any owners having charging issues? DaveY 6 5,260 11-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Last Post: DaveY

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.