Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration
Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration
Well, today I was shown 10 masks and tried some of them hooked to a machine to see how they worked.

The ones I tried:

Respironics Comfort Fushion nasal mask. I tried this one first and felt it leaked at the bottom so I ended up rejecting that one.

Respironics Wisp nasal mask. I love this one as the short time I had it on it did not leak and the head gear is silicone which I like because it is sturdier and it is easy to take off with the clips but I just slipped it over my head.

Fisher & Paykel Zest nasal mask. This one, when I tried it hooked to the machine, I felt air blowing inside the mask on my nose. Not sure why but I have enough issues waking up all night long and didn’t want the added issue of waking up because I felt air on my nose.

The ones I rejected from the start:

Amara Gel FFM
Resmed Quattro FX
Resmed Mirage FX for Her
Resmed Swift FX Nano Nasal

The other masks that he brought but I did not try because I decided to try the Wisp:

Respironics Easy Life Nasal Mask
Fisher & Paykel Pilario Nasal Pillows
Respironics Nuance Pro Gel Pillow Mask

He gave me the wisp to take home and use and I will bring it to use for my sleep titration next week and I get to keep it. Have too much to do to try it right now but can't wait to see how it does during the night. Hopefully, I won't open my mouth but if I do, I will call and ask for the chin strap he showed me (he showed me 2 types and one of them looked along the same lines as using an ace bandage).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration
Hi me50,
Good luck with the new mask, I look forward to hearing how well you do with it.
Edit: I use the one with the silicon frame and like it very much.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration
(11-26-2013, 08:15 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi me50,
Good luck with the new mask, I look forward to hearing how well you do with it.

Thanks.

Me too! I was told today that when getting sleep studies, they should try nasal masks first and that ffm are as a last resort. There wasn't anything I didn't like about it during the short time I was hooked up to a machine with it on. The first 2, it was hard for me to talk and tell the tech that I wanted to turn the machine off and try another mask lol

The plus to a ffm is that you can talk with it on and many times, I got phone calls when I was taking a nap and was able to talk with the mask on.

I will let you all know how it goes tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
At the sleep lab where I went, they started me on a nasal mask, (The respironics Comfort Jell,) (the original one,) so I'd have an easier time getting adjusted and I'm glad they did that because I have trouble with too much on my face.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 07:51 PM)me50 Wrote: Well, today I was shown 10 masks and tried some of them hooked to a machine to see how they worked.

The ones I tried:

Respironics Comfort Fushion nasal mask. I tried this one first and felt it leaked at the bottom so I ended up rejecting that one.

Respironics Wisp nasal mask. I love this one as the short time I had it on it did not leak and the head gear is silicone which I like because it is sturdier and it is easy to take off with the clips but I just slipped it over my head.

Fisher & Paykel Zest nasal mask. This one, when I tried it hooked to the machine, I felt air blowing inside the mask on my nose. Not sure why but I have enough issues waking up all night long and didn’t want the added issue of waking up because I felt air on my nose.

The ones I rejected from the start:

Amara Gel FFM
Resmed Quattro FX
Resmed Mirage FX for Her
Resmed Swift FX Nano Nasal

The other masks that he brought but I did not try because I decided to try the Wisp:

Respironics Easy Life Nasal Mask
Fisher & Paykel Pilario Nasal Pillows
Respironics Nuance Pro Gel Pillow Mask

He gave me the wisp to take home and use and I will bring it to use for my sleep titration next week and I get to keep it. Have too much to do to try it right now but can't wait to see how it does during the night. Hopefully, I won't open my mouth but if I do, I will call and ask for the chin strap he showed me (he showed me 2 types and one of them looked along the same lines as using an ace bandage).
Good luck to you if you are a mouth breather. The chin strap did not keep me from dropping my jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like this mask. I slept 3.5 hours and then woke up with a very dry mouth so obviously I do open my mouth when sleeping but I didn't do that until after I had been asleep for an hour or so. Then the leaks started but they didn't wake me up. The dry mouth did. I have a call in to see if I can get a chin strap from the sleep lab since the DME doesn't have any. If not, I will improvise

I never went back to sleep though b/c I had to finish getting ready for a repair person to come and after all of that, he was sick and isn't coming. Now I am very tired and have a dr. appt. at 11. Ain't that the way!!

The good thing is, I had NO AHIs!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the wisp since last Tuesday. For the most part, my AHI has been 0 every time I sleep.

I have read that it is unusual to have 0 AHI's nightly so I wanted to check in with the members here to see if anyone else has 0 AHI's most of the time.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been bouncing between the Wisp and the Swift LT (nose pillows). I just bought a tried a 'chin strap', but have found that it pulls my lower jaw back and increases my overbite. Very uncomfortable.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2013, 04:28 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I've been bouncing between the Wisp and the Swift LT (nose pillows). I just bought a tried a 'chin strap', but have found that it pulls my lower jaw back and increases my overbite. Very uncomfortable.

what kind of chin strap did you try? I love the wisp and my chin strap even though my nose looks like a pig's nose lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 sells a 'Ruby' chinstrap - first one I've tried in bout ten years.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation Frequent Jolting in Sleep Pawpri 1 30 5 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,763 9 hours ago
Last Post: Quitethe1
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 10 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 65 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.