Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Melatonin dosages
Melatonin dosages
I tried taking Benedryl (diphenhydramine) to help me break my sleep cycle but it didn't work. Instead of making me sleepy, it just made me sleep for freakin' ever. As in 11-14hrs. That's not going to help my crazy sleep cycle!

Now I move on to Melatonin. I did a Google search for dosages and found a huge list of indications (reasons) and doses on the Mayo Clinic site. Here's the ones just for sleep related:

Quote:The below doses are based on scientific research, publications, traditional use, or expert opinion. Many herbs and supplements have not been thoroughly tested, and safety and effectiveness may not be proven. Brands may be made differently, with variable ingredients, even within the same brand. The below doses may not apply to all products. You should read product labels, and discuss doses with a qualified healthcare provider before starting therapy.

Adults (over 18 years old)

The time of day that melatonin is taken is important. Melatonin impacts circadian rhythms (the internal body clock) differently depending on whether it is taken in the morning, afternoon, or early evening.

For circadian rhythm sleep disorders in people with and without vision problems, melatonin has been taken by mouth as a single dose of 0.5-5 milligrams before bed or as a daily dose for 1-3 months.

For delayed sleep phase syndrome, melatonin has been taken by mouth in doses of 0.3-6 milligrams, with five milligrams being most common, daily before sleeping for two weeks to three months.

For periodic limb movement disorder, three milligrams of melatonin has been taken by mouth nightly for six weeks.

For REM sleep behavior disorder, 3-12 milligrams of melatonin has been taken by mouth daily for four weeks.

For restless leg syndrome, a single dose of three milligrams of melatonin has been taken by mouth.

For sleep (general), doses of melatonin taken by mouth were 0.3-10 milligrams.

For sleep disturbance in healthy people, 0.1-80 milligrams of melatonin has been taken by mouth, generally nightly before bed for one or several days up to 26 weeks. A dose of 50 milligrams has been injected into the vein.

For work shift sleep disorder, 1.8-10 milligrams of melatonin has been taken by mouth up to three times daily for up to six days before daytime sleep after a night shift.

Another article on Talk About Sleep has a short list about how to use it correctly. But the information it had was what I needed: the WHEN

Quote:Induce sleep or shift sleep to an earlier schedule (1hr+)
If you take more than an hour to fall asleep, or you need to shift your sleep more than an hour, consider taking time-released melatonin. It is also important to use a high-quality, standardized melatonin supplement. Try to find the lowest dose available and do not cut the pill . Since melatonin tablets are coated to provide slow release, cutting them will ruin their long-term potency.

When to take: Depending on the severity of the sleep problem, take time-released melatonin 1 to 3 hours prior to the time you usually fall asleep. Since time release melatonin only lasts for 3 – 4 hours, any need to shift sleep schedules more than 3 hours may require taking another pill in 3 or 4 hours.

Induce sleep (less than 1hr)
If it takes an hour or less to fall asleep, then standard melatonin in the lowest mg size is a good option.

When to take: One to two hours before desired sleep time.

I picked up the stuff a while back and got it in the 300mcg size. I will start out with 3 (just under 1mg) for a week then I'll increase it to 5 or 6. If that doesn't work, I'll go for the Ambien.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Melatonin dosages
I've had an even split of patients who have success with melatonin and then the ones that do not. I hope it works for you! Your plan to start on a low dose and work your way up is a great idea, that way if it works you can hone in on the lowest effective dose. Make sure you check the expiration on the bottle if you got them awhile back as expired meds tend to lose their potency. Good luck on your journey!
Post Reply Post Reply
The circadian rhythm is modulated by exposure to blue light. The endogenous synthesis of melatonin is shut off by the eye being stimulated by blue light. And, as most know, white light is a spectral band of visible wavelengths; including blue.

I switch room light to red LED light in the evening. Computers and TVs off.
For me, it helps.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2,
Melatonin must be very powerful stuff. After reading the excerpt about "For delayed sleep phase syndrome" from your post it states; "five milligrams. . . before sleeping for two weeks to three months". That's not sleeping; that's hibernation! Dancing
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried 5mg, then 10mg for 30 days. It didn't help at all. Perhaps the dose was still too small.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take 1mg after I lie down and all lights are off. The best way to describe how it works on me, is it "clears my head" of all the stuff from the day, tomorrow's to-do list, etc. It just lets me turn off for the day. I'm usually out in 10 minutes.

Not oral, but sublingual. I get a peppermint flavored 1mg from Amazon. If you go this route, let it dissolve as slowly as possible so you are absorbing it instead of swallowing it. But don't take it while the lights (including tv, cell phone, etc.) are still on or your body will just break it down right away.

Oral absorption is not very good, but dissolved under the tongue it hits pretty fast. Much smaller dosage is used this way too. A large dose regularly can interfere with your own melatonin production. I just give my own level a jump start.

I have a red led night light in the bathroom so those middle of the night trips don't undo my melatonin levels. (but I can still see what I'm doing...)
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yeah, and f.lux running on all the pc's and phone too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend trying light therapy in addition to melatonin. Your body may be producing enough melatonin already but perhaps at the wrong time of day. I suggest you set up a regimen wherein you refrain from watching TV or using the computer for 90 minutes prior to your normal bedtime. At the start of that period, take one 1mg melatonin normal release pill. During that period, reduce the room lighting by using a single 30 watt incandescent bulb in the room light fixture. A dimmer may be used on an existing higher wattage fixture to get the desired level while still having a higher level available for other purposes. Do not read or engage in any physical activity during that period. Instead try to relax your body and and think of pleasant things that you would like to have happen. If you prefer, sit in a completely dark room. Either way will send the correct signal to your body that sleep time is coming soon. That will cause you body to release the natural hormone melatonin into your blood stream and prepare you for sleep. Take a second 1 mg. slow release pill right before bedtime.

Melatonin by itself will not make you sleep so it's up to you to help it along. It merely signals your body to start winding down whereupon you must start your normal routine that puts you in the condition and position to fall asleep.

A very important point to remember when taking melatonin is that taking it and continuing to sit in a well lighted environment is sending mixed signals to your body. I also would never recommend taking the higher dosage pills that are commonly available unless your doctor has found that your system doesn't produce any melatonin or is producing insufficient amounts, which can happen to older people. Having too much melatonin can be worse than having too little and can cause depression and irritability and a hangover feeling that may last all through your day.

Good luck, Dude

ps. I have tried varying levels of melatonin and for me the reduced lighting therapy is more effective than melatonin, although the low dosage slow release melatonin helps me enough that I use it occasionally.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use f.lux as well and it seems to help, especially in the winter. I have a huge window here in the office so it gets flooded with natural light.

I probably could be diagnosed with the delayed sleep phase syndrome since this is something I've had trouble with for a very long time. The problem now, though, is I lay down and my brain suddenly wakes up. My body is exhausted but my brain is off on its own somewhere. That's new. Sure, it's happened before but not like this. Makes me want to drink again just to numb it.

I'm doing more meditation, doing more of the tricks I learned for insomnia. Except for when I am zonked out on the Benedryl, I get up at about the same time each day, no matter what time I went to bed.

I switched back to the Nuance and chin strap because of the Simplus noises. It seems it was leaking at my eyes more than I thought it was. I just slept through it but she couldn't. I have some Remzzz liners but not tried them yet. Not motivated enough. I'm not waking up rested. My AHI is below 5 and I'm not hitting the max pressure but I don't wake up all zippity doo dah. I just want to go back to sleep. It's weird, really. I don't want to go to bed but once I get there, I don't want to get up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found that even when melatonin worked, I'd get sleepy, but had a tendency to wake up a few hours later.

It also made me have move vivid dreams, often unpleasant.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Melatonin: Yea, Nay, or other Rcgop 20 1,149 02-27-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Melatonin kubakat 3 484 10-12-2023, 12:57 PM
Last Post: kubakat
  Melatonin + CPAP = Success gainerfull 4 1,151 04-25-2022, 08:30 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Health] Blue light kills your melatonin levels Omercpap 19 2,375 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Melatonin recommendation for Senior luckydxx 5 1,624 04-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Last Post: luckydxx
  Melatonin Judy1843 10 2,381 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.