Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Melatonin dosages
RE: Melatonin dosages
I take 1mg melatonin before bed, but I still lay there an hour or more before falling asleep, only to wake up sometime during the night. Then I don't want to get up in the morning. If I take more than 1mg, I also will have really crazy dreams.

I have a low AHI, varies at .4 to 1.5, but can't say I feel rested in the morning.
I'm still waiting for the day I wake up feeling well rested, not just so so.
I would like to wake up feeling like this banana. Banana

Good luck Paula in finding what works for you.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose, There are many of us just like you. For that group, the treatment may be relieving the root cause of the apnea but it is so invasive as to impose another sleep disruption that will take a very long time to tolerate. I suspect we were light sleepers to start with. Having to hook up to a mask and blower just isn't easily accepted for some of us. I live in hope that by doing it long enough it will eventually be unnoticeable. So far, not so good. Even with an AHI in the .2 and below range, I still have trouble falling asleep and wake up during the night at least twice. I'm sure having to sleep on my side is a contributing factor as well.

Try to tough it out and hope for eventual relief while being secure in the fact that you are doing something that is relieving some of the stress from your vital organs and will benefit you in the long run. Hopefully an interrupted night of peaceful sleep will someday be your reward. It may take weeks or months but it will happen because the human body will adapt and learn to ignore the impositions of the therapy.

E.g., It took several weeks for me to learn how to sleep under the adverse conditions that sleeping in an army barracks imposed. But it finally happened. Same thing when I worked in the oil field and was allowed to take a cat-nap when working the morning tower shift (11pm to 7am) while the diesel engines roared away. Funny thing was when the engines were shut down to make a connection, I woke up immediately. That proves that the human body can and will adopt a new standard that allows restful sleep under unusual conditions. It just takes time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks surferdude2,
I've always been a light sleeper and as long as I can remember, it would take me an hour or more to fall asleep. That's why I thought I would try Melatonin. I have to laugh at myself though...I've always used the P10 nasal pillow mask, but lately have had to start using my chin strap again, and on top of that I started using an eye goggle to keep air out of my eyes. I now have three sets of straps on my head.
It's rediculous. No wonder it takes me forever to fall asleep. Oh-jeez
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man. I don't feel alone. My Doctor prescribes me Trazadone to go to sleep. Which helps me better the melatonin did. I'm still waiting to start my pap therapy after 2 months since my first sleep study
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2015, 05:40 PM)Nyre Wrote: Man. I don't feel alone. My Doctor prescribes me Trazadone to go to sleep. Which helps me better the melatonin did. I'm still waiting to start my pap therapy after 2 months since my first sleep study

Hi Nyre,
It took that long for me too, from sleep study to getting a machine. It shouldn't be that way, but it seems to be different depending where you live. I hope your therapy starts soon.
I think I may try to up my dose of Melatonin. I don't want to take anything stronger if I don't have to. Good luck Nyre!
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2015, 06:00 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(03-21-2015, 05:40 PM)Nyre Wrote: Man. I don't feel alone. My Doctor prescribes me Trazadone to go to sleep. Which helps me better the melatonin did. I'm still waiting to start my pap therapy after 2 months since my first sleep study

Hi Nyre,
It took that long for me too, from sleep study to getting a machine. It shouldn't be that way, but it seems to be different depending where you live. I hope your therapy starts soon.
I think I may try to up my dose of Melatonin. I don't want to take anything stronger if I don't have to. Good luck Nyre!
OpalRose

Thank you for the response
Post Reply Post Reply
Melatonin is for short use only and shouldn't be used for every night. I've been reading a lot about it and I'm not sure it is something for me. But going to give it a go and hope it will!

The good thing is I woke up at 9:30, wide awake and ready(ish) to go. Benedryl really knocked me on my arse. It felt good to sleep just 8hrs or so and wake up clear headed. I doubt one dose of melatonin did it, though.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have pretty good luck falling and staying asleep with a supplement called Deep Sleep by Herbs etc. No hangover the next day. I only take one pill, not two like they recommend on the label.

I can also recommend that you try Cognitive Behavioral treatment for insomnia. If you find someone who knows it well they can help you shut down the mind chatter and help you change your sleep phase if need be.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2015, 09:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Melatonin is for short use only and shouldn't be used for every night. I've been reading a lot about it and I'm not sure it is something for me. But going to give it a go and hope it will!

The good thing is I woke up at 9:30, wide awake and ready(ish) to go. Benedryl really knocked me on my arse. It felt good to sleep just 8hrs or so and wake up clear headed. I doubt one dose of melatonin did it, though.

It seems like I've had difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep for a very long time. A few years ago I mentioned my insomnia to the Nurse Practitioner I was seeing at the time, and she said "You can try it if you want, but don't take anymore than 9 mg at any given time." I did try the Melatonin starting at a lower dose and increasing it to 5 and then to 8 mg.

Every doctor I've seen since that time has read my list of medicines and has never made a comment about it. Maybe over time it just isn't effective anymore because recently I definitely don't feel rested when I wake in the morning in spite of being 100% cpap compliant. I am going to try a chin strap to see if that will help me get better sleep. I also have an insulin pump so I'm really "connected" to two things every night.

Have also been experimenting with pillow sizes to see if that makes a difference. I've not tried Benadryl but if it works - I would sure like to feel better in the morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone use L-Tryptophan? I use it frequently at different dosages, but not every night. Like Melatonin for me, it does not seem to cause me to be groggy in the mornings. Another thing is to make sure your Magnesium levels are normalized. I had an MD a number of years ago suggest an IV drip of Mg and when I took it the relaxation effect was incredible.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Melatonin: Yea, Nay, or other Rcgop 20 1,153 02-27-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Melatonin kubakat 3 484 10-12-2023, 12:57 PM
Last Post: kubakat
  Melatonin + CPAP = Success gainerfull 4 1,152 04-25-2022, 08:30 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Health] Blue light kills your melatonin levels Omercpap 19 2,379 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Melatonin recommendation for Senior luckydxx 5 1,624 04-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Last Post: luckydxx
  Melatonin Judy1843 10 2,383 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.