Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Memorial Day
Memorial Day
In this day and age of instant news and videos, it is sometime difficult to imagine a time when documentation of events, as-it-happened during war time, was captured.   Images and footage can be sparse.  And when film does capture events during that time, especially when set to meaningful hymns, can be very touching. 

To honor fallen comrades and all who have made the ultimate sacrifice, many times I will click on the link of this real-time (at the time) film of a returning gunner who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  This airmen is only one of the many who represent why we observe Memorial Day for the fallen:  Loyce Edward Deen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpt6Bvr2L-s

Quote:A Grumman TBF avenger torpedo bomber of VT-15 Torpedo Air Group, approaches and lands on the deck of the USS Essex (CV-9) during the Battle of Manila Bay, in World War 2. Upon landing, Lt. Robert Cosgrove (Pilot) and Sailor Digby Denzek (Radioman) can be seen in their respective forward and middle crew positions. But the rear gunner position, occupied by Aviation Machinist Mate 2nd Class,Loyce Edward Deen (Gunner) has been completely destroyed by enemy 40mm shell fire.

As the aircraft is parked amongst others, with wings folded, sailors of the Essex take fingerprints and cut dog tags from the body of AMM2C Loyce Deen in the gunner position. Captain Carlos W. Wieber, Commanding Officer of the Essex, and her crew, participate in funeral services on the deck. A chaplain conducts the services from beside the aircraft, where Loyce Deen's remains in the gunner's position have been shrouded. Closeup view of Rear Admiral Frederick C. Sherman during the burial service.

A bugler sounds taps.

Beside the bugler is David L. McDonald, who was XO of the USS Essex (and later Chief of Naval Operations in the 1960s). Deen's remains are then buried at sea in the TBF avenger in which he perished. The aircraft floats off the fantail for a short time before sinking from view. Two TBF Avengers are seen flying overhead , in tribute. Crew members then disband and return to their duties.

The musical is from the BYU Choir,,, A very appropriate hymn for soldiers ,who in the ultimate sacrifice, have gone home.  Here is another longer interpretive composition.  There is such symbolism in opening of gates- be it pearly or wooden: 
Going Home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...U-A1bya2TA
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Memorial Day
Emotive, those of us who have ancestors heroes decorated and dead for an ideal makes me feel proud of this man killed in combat and the Navy's success in burying him in his own plane.

Read my signature in honor of our great-grandfather, decorated with the highest honors that is done in Spain, the medal "Laureate of San Fernando" to the heroism, we must not forget our past and that his action marks the way.
"¡Por España!/ y el que quiera defenderla/ honrado muera/ y el traidor que la abandone/ no encuentre quien le perdone/ ni cobijo en Tierra Santa/ ni una cruz en sus despojos / ni la mano de un buen hijo/ para cerrarle los ojos". 

"For Spain! / And whoever wants to defend it / honored die / and the traitor who abandons it / does not find who forgives / does not find shelters in the Holy Land / or a christian cross in its human waste / or the hand of a good son / to close his eyes. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Memorial Day
Thanks for this S. L. Ping Beauty.
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attending 9/11 Flight 93 Memorial Event Sleeprider 13 216 09-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  City of Mission Viejo Memorial day Ceremony justMongo 2 790 06-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
Video Happy Extended Memorial day weekend SeriousJoker 1 637 05-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.