Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Memory Loss
Memory Loss
Hi

I've been on this journey since March this year. While I no longer get headaches when I wake up, I seem to be experiencing some memory loss - definitely much more than last year.

Has anyone experienced this after starting cpap treatment?

And please don't tell me it due to aging Too-funny. I've yet to hit the big 50.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Memory Loss
I had loss of memory, but mine was before CPAP. Are you taking a statin for colesterol? After many years of a statin, I found a lot of excercise lowered my colesterol and I stopped the statin.

Guess what! My memory came back along with other side affects. I will never take a statin again. Nasty stuff.

CPAP has done nothing but improve life.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
There is also a link between sleep apnea and "bad" cholesterol : http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol...ive-sleep/

CPAP may improve your cholesterol levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2016, 09:19 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Hi

I've been on this journey since March this year. While I no longer get headaches when I wake up, I seem to be experiencing some memory loss - definitely much more than last year.

Has anyone experienced this after starting cpap treatment?

And please don't tell me it due to aging Too-funny. I've yet to hit the big 50.

Actually, my memory is sharper since I've been on cpap therapy. This may be something to discuss with your doctor since you are still pretty young. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually have high triglyceride and cholesterol levels and am on fenofibrate medication. It did cross my mind that there may be a link between the two as I started taking fenofibrate early last year.

Rcgop, did you have tinnitus when you were taking the statin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Note that fenofibrate is not in the statin family. It is in a class known as fibrates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrate
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the doc decided to prescribe it as the dominant issue was high triglycerides followed by elevated LDL. Supposed to reduce chances of heart disease due to plague buildup in the arteries, etc. But could jolly well end up with something else just as bad or worse!

I read somewhere the brain needs cholesterol to function properly. All these statin, fibrate and stuff, I wonder if it's counter to the body's natural function as the body produces what it needs. As I understand it, it's the liver that produces the cholesterol in the blood stream. How the liver reacts to different foods, e.g. egg yolks, shrimp, squid, saturated fats, etc, is another story.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2016, 06:18 PM)Newbee2016 Wrote: I actually have high triglyceride and cholesterol levels and am on fenofibrate medication. It did cross my mind that there may be a link between the two as I started taking fenofibrate early last year.

Rcgop, did you have tinnitus when you were taking the statin?

Yes! But that was before the statins. Hadn't thought about the statin making the tinnitus worse. I had many side effects from the statins but the Dr. said they weren't related. But they all went away when I stopped taking them. I don't see that Dr. any more either. Since I already had tinnitus when I started the statin, I didn't pay any attention to it getting worse.

Thanks for the heads up.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2016, 08:27 PM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Yes, the doc decided to prescribe it as the dominant issue was high triglycerides followed by elevated LDL. Supposed to reduce chances of heart disease due to plague buildup in the arteries, etc. But could jolly well end up with something else just as bad or worse!

I read somewhere the brain needs cholesterol to function properly. All these statin, fibrate and stuff, I wonder if it's counter to the body's natural function as the body produces what it needs. As I understand it, it's the liver that produces the cholesterol in the blood stream. How the liver reacts to different foods, e.g. egg yolks, shrimp, squid, saturated fats, etc, is another story.

Cholesterol is brainfood.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! My tinnitus has been going up and the ENT suggested audio music to help the brain adjust. Short of going around with earphones on, or disturbing people in the office with flowing water music, chirping birds, etc, it's not so practical.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 694 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 511 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss Apnea23 3 578 03-11-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.