Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Memory Loss
RE: Memory Loss
Health villains such as fats, cholesterol, etc have probably been wrongly vilified because of health studies that go back to 50s and have not really been refuted. The main reason is that anyone who challenges these are quickly decried as crackpots yet the evidence is almost overhelming that cholesterol levels are not the main cause of arterial plaque. However, if this is accepted then the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry is now going to have some major problems.

After I had my triple bypass I convinced my doctor to find me an alternative to statins and I take a combination of two drugs to keep my levels under 5. One is a statin. The downside has been increasing joint pain and, most importantly, my immune system no longer works as well as it should. There is well documented research that shows that cholesterol is a major factor in how well your immune system works. So do I end up in a situation where I won't have a heart attack but a bout of influenza will kill me?
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a number of books that refute the statin cholesterol thinking.
One is The Cholesterol Delusion by Ernest Curtis. Dr Curtis is a retired cardiologist.
He gave me my last aeromedical physical.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2016, 03:47 AM)holden4th Wrote: Health villains such as fats, cholesterol, etc have probably been wrongly vilified because of health studies that go back to 50s and have not really been refuted. The main reason is that anyone who challenges these are quickly decried as crackpots yet the evidence is almost overhelming that cholesterol levels are not the main cause of arterial plaque. However, if this is accepted then the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry is now going to have some major problems.

After I had my triple bypass I convinced my doctor to find me an alternative to statins and I take a combination of two drugs to keep my levels under 5. One is a statin. The downside has been increasing joint pain and, most importantly, my immune system no longer works as well as it should. There is well documented research that shows that cholesterol is a major factor in how well your immune system works. So do I end up in a situation where I won't have a heart attack but a bout of influenza will kill me?

Google "thalidomide and statins". You will get some interesting articles. If you don't know what thalidomide is, Google "Thalidomide babies". It's worse than the zika virus for birth defects. Both drugs are on the "X" list and cannot be given to pregnant women. I even read one article that mentioned it's the billion dollar industry keeping statins on the market.

Believe what you feel comfortable with, but this one person that will not take a statin ever again.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You wonder how some of the old folks of our parents/grandparents' generation ate bacon or slabs of butter and lived long lives. Sausages bacon eggs and bread fried in bacon fat. The cardiologists today would flip if someone said they were on such a breakfast diet. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
My father, who lived to be in his 90's, lived on red meat, eggs, cheese, bacon, olive oil, and drank red wine daily. He was never sick, and took no medications, he did smoke but quit in his 70,s. Dont-know

I was put on a statin a few years ago. Within two weeks, I was unable to function. Couldn't think straight, had muscle cramps so bad, I had to be helped to get out of bed and walk.

My doc said to get used to it. Well, I took myself off statins after a month was back to normal within a few weeks.

NEVER AGAIN will I take statins!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2016, 10:05 AM)OpalRose Wrote: My father, who lived to be in his 90's, lived on red meat, eggs, cheese, bacon, olive oil, and drank red wine daily. He was never sick, and took no medications, he did smoke but quit in his 70,s. Dont-know

I was put on a statin a few years ago. Within two weeks, I was unable to function. Couldn't think straight, had muscle cramps so bad, I had to be helped to get out of bed and walk.

My doc said to get used to it. Well, I took myself off statins after a month was back to normal within a few weeks.

NEVER AGAIN will I take statins!

My Mom just had her 92nd birthday and still active. My Dad died from complications of MS but his perfect heart kept him alive until 86. As a child he lived on a diary farm, can you say, lard, butter, and whole milk.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who cannot tolerate statins.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Holden4th, so after your triple bypass, what alternatives are you on now?

Rcgop is onto lots of exercise, what's your regime like? I know of a colleague who's on the treadmill every morning so as to keep his cholesterol in check.

So far I haven't had any noticeable side effects from the fenofibrate except some minor leg cramps first few weeks - but, and it's a BIG but, if this seemingly memory loss is due to that, I'm going to go on a different regime altogether.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try reducing your salt intake. A low salt diet is known to improve tinnitus in some folks - me included.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 10 mg of Rosuvostatin and 10 mg of Ezetrol (ezetimibe). The first reduces the production of cholesterol from the liver and the second reduces cholesterol absorption into the bloodstream.

The combination of the two surprised my doctor when they brought my levels down into the low fours (five is considered the benchmark) I had a cholesterol level of 11.3 just before my bypass and this comes from hyper familial cholesterolemia which I inherited from my father.

The research I've read suggests that homocysteine levels and not cholesterol is the main culprit for arterial plaque but no doctor I know will test for it. I have a good doctor and on my next visit I might ask him to organise this as part of my next blood test.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would tell myself that I did not have memory loss. After starting to take better care of myself and being more open minded I must admit to memory loss at times. As I have started to use CPAP and had time to recover some from oxygen loss I find my thinking and memory are improving. The morning head pain that used to take 4 to 6 hours to go away is gone. My oxygen level is improved while sleeping and when awake.

My idea is that with CPAP I have been allowing my body to heal some of the harm done by my stupid idea that I was superman as a younger man. Mom said it best " If you are going to be stupid you had better be tough " I have run out of tough.

Wishing you the best Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 695 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 514 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss Apnea23 3 578 03-11-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.