Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Memory problem with S9 Data Card
Memory problem with S9 Data Card
I seem to have a memory problem with my Resmed S9 Data Card.
When I move it from the S9 to my computer to read the data, I can't seem to remember to put it back in the S9.
I also have a problem with the lock on the card. I always lock it when I put it in the computer and unlock it when I return it to the S9, but the S9 often (usually) tells me it is still locked. I have to lock/unlock it several (5 or 10) times before the S9 recognizes it is unlocked.

First question if I used two data cards and put one in as soon as I removed one, would I then have partial data on each card? this week on one next week on the other? Any problem with that?

Does anyone else have a problem with the unlock on the data card?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Memory problem with S9 Data Card
The S9s only write on the card the night it happens. What is stores in memory for later is minimal. I would think the program you use will have problems with two cards on the same machine. It won't know which data to transfer over.

I have found that I have to put the card in rather straight in. Too much of an angle and it will lock the card as I slip it in. Annoying as heck. I finally one day just messed with putting it in and taking it out and figured out how to do it.

Instead of looking at a second card, work like mad to train yourself to put the card back in. As soon as you are done with it, put it back. Get into a routine.

I have a habit now that when I reach over to push the ON button, I slide my hand over and make sure the card is there first. You can feel it easy enough. It has saved my butt several times! I only download the data twice a week (Wed and Sat). That way I am sure to not go too long (it only keeps detailed data for 7 days, the biggest flaw the S9 has).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 02:03 PM)bwexler Wrote: I can't seem to remember to put it back in the S9.

Try putting a reminder note on your computer and see if that helps you remember.

Does anyone else have a problem with the unlock on the data card?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 06:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The S9s only write on the card the night it happens. What is stores in memory for later is minimal. I would think the program you use will have problems with two cards on the same machine. It won't know which data to transfer over.

I only download the data twice a week (Wed and Sat). That way I am sure to not go too long (it only keeps detailed data for 7 days, the biggest flaw the S9 has).

I wonder if I don't understand your post. When I started using ResScan and Sleepyhead, I put the SD card in and imported the data (which went back to 2011).

Then, I took the SD card out of the new CPAP machine that I had just started using and imported it.

Just trying to figure out the detailed data only being kept for 7 days. That would make it difficult for a doctor, etc. to monitor how the CPAP therapy is going if it only keeps detailed info for 7 days. Most DME's here want the patients to mail their SD card to them to download/review.

What am I missing? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 07:53 PM)me50 Wrote:
(09-22-2013, 06:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The S9s only write on the card the night it happens. What is stores in memory for later is minimal. I would think the program you use will have problems with two cards on the same machine. It won't know which data to transfer over.

I only download the data twice a week (Wed and Sat). That way I am sure to not go too long (it only keeps detailed data for 7 days, the biggest flaw the S9 has).

I wonder if I don't understand your post. When I started using ResScan and Sleepyhead, I put the SD card in and imported the data (which went back to 2011).

Then, I took the SD card out of the new CPAP machine that I had just started using and imported it.

Just trying to figure out the detailed data only being kept for 7 days. That would make it difficult for a doctor, etc. to monitor how the CPAP therapy is going if it only keeps detailed info for 7 days. Most DME's here want the patients to mail their SD card to them to download/review.

1. I never lock the SD card before I put it in my card reader, and haven't had any problems as long as I Eject the card before removing from card reader.

2. I think there would be no problem using two cards.

3. The S9 machines internally store nightly statistical data for at least a year, and nightly summary data (bar charts) for a month before they are overwritten by new data.

Detailed plots (for every second) are stored only on the card and are overwritten after 7 days. As PaulaO2 said, its the machine's greatest flaw, along with lack of support for Bluetooth or other wireless saving of the data and lack of support for an affordable oximeter.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 07:53 PM)me50 Wrote: Just trying to figure out the detailed data only being kept for 7 days. That would make it difficult for a doctor, etc. to monitor how the CPAP therapy is going if it only keeps detailed info for 7 days. Most DME's here want the patients to mail their SD card to them to download/review.

I think most clinicians don't really care for the high-resolution flow data. After all, many machines don't even record it. They probably just use whatever is available on the greatest number of machines... and that would be AHI, leak, and usage hours.

(my guess... not fact)

I've tried leaving sticky notes on the monitor (not for this, but for other things I wanted to remember). What ended up happening is that I learned to ignore the sticky note. Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2013, 03:24 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(09-22-2013, 07:53 PM)me50 Wrote: Just trying to figure out the detailed data only being kept for 7 days. That would make it difficult for a doctor, etc. to monitor how the CPAP therapy is going if it only keeps detailed info for 7 days. Most DME's here want the patients to mail their SD card to them to download/review.

I think most clinicians don't really care for the high-resolution flow data. After all, many machines don't even record it. They probably just use whatever is available on the greatest number of machines... and that would be AHI, leak, and usage hours.

(my guess... not fact)

I've tried leaving sticky notes on the monitor (not for this, but for other things I wanted to remember). What ended up happening is that I learned to ignore the sticky note. Tongue

When I have gone in, I get a print out from my DME that we discuss together.

Things they are looking at are AHI, leaks (only avg, 95% and max), usage and pressure (again only avg, 95% and max). They aren't looking at the detailed info....they just want to confirm you're using the machine and not having major issues (i.e. massive leaks - time to replace the mask or hose, is the pressure holding you still, are you under the 5 AHI they like).

For us, the detailed info can be nice...pick out issues that we see on the day-to-day basis that may not be important to the DME (like I know my AHI goes up considerably when I sleep flat on my back, or if a mask doesn't do well when I sleep on my side).

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why do you lock the card - I don't and have had no problems, after all you are only reading the card in the computer - its not like you will remove it with half a file written and corrupt it.

As for using 2 cards - I cannot see why it will not work - sounds like your card might be getting to the end of its life anyway - how old is it as they only last so long (i.e. only so many writes).

As far as putting it back in the machine - use memory aids - get into a routine - get your wife/partner to remind you, takeout the humidifier tray when the cards out - unhook your mask/hose/ unplug the machine when the card is out. whatever works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The card is about 3 years old , nov 2010.
I like your idea to remove the humidifier water tray. That will stop everything cold and make me think.
My first DME taught me to lock the card to prevent accidental format, erase, write to the card while in the computer.
I know the memory can only be written so many times to a particular address in memory, but I have never erased anything on the card and believe it has only written once to each spot. I could be wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,571 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  SD Card in AirSense 11 missing data larryh 2 170 03-06-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: larryh
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,332 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,469 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 550 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.