Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Merry Christmas, My CPAP broke.
Merry Christmas, My CPAP broke.
So, I just joined this forum due to the fact that my remstar pro m started to fail on me last night. It was sputtering a bit but then I got it to work for the night. Mind you, this all happened after transporting my CPAP last night to my parents house for Christmas. My machine worked fine the night before as far as I could tell.

This morning the machine cuts off totally. Now it turns on and off about 3 times then says Service Required. It seems like a power supply issue but I cant tell. So, its Christmas. No one is open. Even if they were open the provider that gave me the machine is no longer in business and I have no insurance.

A little history on my machine. Due to the fact that I dont have insurance my machine hasnt been maintenanced in a while and in an effort to save money on distilled water ive been using tap water in my humidifier which has caused build up and my humidifier barely works anymore. My mask is pieced togther with super glue and duct tape. So yeah.

I also have messed with the pressure setting and moved it from 6-7 up to about 15. I did this awhile ago due to not feeling very refreshed while sleeping. It seems to be a bit better but im still tired a decent amount during the day.

First post so this is ALL over the place but Im just a little freaked out. I get pretty bad headaches when I dont use my CPAP. Any thing I might be able to do on a holiday given the circumstances? My folks might be able to help out with money but I dont know where to turn.

Looks like Im gonna go for a long run today. I always sleep better when I stimulate my lungs with a run.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Merry Christmas, My CPAP broke.
Oh by the way, I constantly sleep on my stomach with my machine. Ill try sleeping on my back if i HAVE to but not sure if this matters.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds as thought it's time for a new machine. Fixing a machine as old and with as many problems as yours would cost far more (if even possible) than getting a replacement. And if you get a replacement you can upgrade to present day technology. So the first thing to do is figure out what replacement you need. If you want an automatic machine the best models are the Philips Respironics System One or the Resmed S9 Autoset.

For buying options, start with the supplier list using the link at the top of every page on Apnea Board. I especially recommend Supplier #2 because they sell gently used machines for roughly half what they would cost new. I just bought an S9 Autoset complete with all the accessories for $549, although it won't arrive for a couple days yet. You can get a used Respironics System One for even less.

But, especially as you are in a hurry, once you know what machine you want and need, check out your local Craigslist. I bought a practically new Respironics System One from a local guy on Craigslist for $300, and sometimes you can get a machine even cheaper. One advantage of Craigslist is that you won't need a prescription, which all the commercial suppliers will require.

In the meantime, post back with any additional questions, and Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2012, 12:15 PM)cheeriosandvodka Wrote: Oh by the way, I constantly sleep on my stomach with my machine. Ill try sleeping on my back if i HAVE to but not sure if this matters.

For most of us apnea is always worst when sleeping on the back, not so bad on the side, and the least problem when on the stomach. That's because it is most commonly caused by the tongue falling back against the pharynx during sleep, blocking the airway. When you're on your stomach you have at least gravity in your favor.

But if your apnea is caused by something else, then the position may not make so much difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you took it to your mom's house, did you empty the humidifier tank? Service Required on Remstars are usually saying water damage. It also means major error.

Did you try to unplug it, wait a minute or so, then plug it back in?

And, a jump from 7 to 15 is not recommended. That's a huge, huge leap. Usually when changes need to be made, they are done in small increments, especially when it is the user doing the changes. Some do it in baby steps, going just a half point at a time. The main issue is such a big jump can cause more central events.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ive been on 15 for maybe 2 years now and I dont notice any real issues. Do you think I should still go back down to 7 or 8 maybe? Thank you both for your suggestions by the way. I need all the help i can get. Its VERY much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
You use the software. What's the data say? If you made the change 2 yrs ago, there's no reason to go back.

How is the machine doing? Is it still borked?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
oh and im pretty sure my apnea is caused by two sources, nasal passages (deviated septum) and a big neck. Im not a super big guy, aroud 225 and I run about 25 miles a week on average. If I had insurance Id get checked up on more regularly, but its hard to get a good job that has insurance when your energy levels fluctuate like mine do. But Im tryin!
still keeps cutting in and out. Water damage does seem to be a good culprit but I did empty the humidifier before transporting. However, I noticed some dampness when I unpacked the machine last night
Post Reply Post Reply
Your septum is not helping but isn't a cause of your sleep apnea. OSA is a throat thing. Big necks don't help any, that's for sure!

The septum is making it difficult for the air to do its thing.

Without insurance, your best bet for a new machine is through SecondWind (Supplier #2). However, you are going to need a prescription for it. If your original DME still has the script, you can ask them to send it to you. I got mine by telling them I was doing my filing and realized I didn't have a copy of it. They sent it to me the same day via email.

And also due to lack of insurance, and autoPAP is your best bet. The PRS1 Auto is cheaper than the Resmed S9. Do not get a Respironics with the word "Plus" in the name or a Resmed with the word "Escape" in the name. These machines only collect compliance data. Intellipap Auto is another machine but I can never remember which to avoid.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2012, 12:28 PM)JJJ Wrote: For buying options, start with the supplier list using the link at the top of every page on Apnea Board. I especially recommend Supplier #2 because they sell gently used machines for roughly half what they would cost new. I just bought an S9 Autoset complete with all the accessories for $549, although it won't arrive for a couple days yet. You can get a used Respironics System One for even less.

Hi cheeriosandvodka, welcome to the forum!

If you do buy a machine on-line, since your present machine is not working it would make sense to pay a little more to get delivery expedited as much as you can manage. With the Christmas rush slowing down deliveries, it could be weeks before you would receive a machine if shipped with "standard" delivery.

One of our Master Members (Archangle) made this page offering recommendations on which machines to avoid and which ones are best:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question My CMS50I Broke Brewskie 8 291 01-10-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Brewskie
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  mask broke jammer521 3 1,442 12-24-2020, 02:12 AM
Last Post: jammer521
  I did something really stupid and I think I broke my machine cbcbcbcb 22 3,547 03-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Broke my Resmed 10 autoset isuckatsleeping 4 1,894 03-13-2020, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Christmas Rash: Airfit P10 Headgear gregger 18 2,692 12-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Last Post: 217manor
  TSA broke part of my machine JohnnyGobbs 26 4,710 03-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Maniac007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.