Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Messy Flow Rate chart questions
Messy Flow Rate chart questions
I'm a new member with questions about my messy flow chart.

I'm 73, no known heart or brain maladies.

My OSCAR data shows I am having a series of AHi events as I am adapting to a new mask.

Is the flow chart pattern I'm seeing typical?  

Ol Sourdough

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Messy Flow Rate chart questions
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Is your flow typical, no. It is not uncommon though.
See how your obstructive events are clustered? That indicates that you are likely tucking your chin, and I have a high confidence that that is what is happening. The solution is a soft cervical collar which will prevent you from doing this. No increase in pressure will fix that. Read the link in my signature, you will see that remarkable improvement has occurred with others. This needs to be fixed before other changes can be considered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sourdough! Soft cervical collar. Your results are classic. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the insights. I picked up a collar and tried it last night...apparently there is a learning curve.
Post Reply Post Reply

Here are the results for the initial try with the collar.  
Post Reply Post Reply
    [attachment=21254][attachment=21254]Received my new machine yesterday ...ResMed Aircurve asv.  The DME set it up per Dr. instructions and sent me home.

I tried it with the N30! mask with limited success.  Lots of leaks but few apneas! Best looking chart in a long time!

Still learning about the mask and the cervical collar but moving in the right direction.

Thanks to all!

Side note:  The DME head tech briefed me on the machine and instructions for it's use.  When I asked him for info on removing the SD card, he said it didn't need one and that it wasn't available to the patient and that the machine would be sending him data and data to Resmed.  I thought OK??

Thankfully the user manual gave me the info needed to find and access the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
There has been remarkable progress in my treatments using the soft cervical collar.  

Nightly AHIs are showing no UA or OA events, just hypopneas. Thanks 

I am noticing more flow limitations and it looks like I am still doing periodic breathing.

Do you have any tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed that you went from an S9 VPAP to and Aircurve 10 ASV. Good move especially with all the centrals you had.

I've increased the EPAP on mine to bring the flow limitations down. I went progressively from a fixed 5 to a range of 7-9.

You are at an EPAP of 8, you can raise it a bit as a fixed EPAP, or set a tight EPAP range of 8-10 and see where you generally run.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

The new ASV machine seems to be working really well.  I have a really good AHI today.

But, my flow limit graph looks a lot like a picket fence.

While I am feeling rested, I'm wondering if there is a concern about lots of flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
On an ASV we ignore the Flow Limitation graph as breaths that are generated by the machine are naturally flat topped so is flagged as flow limited. Nothing to worry about here
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 226 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.