Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Methods to detect apnoea location
Methods to detect apnoea location
I know that the airway behaves differently during sleep, I was wondering is there any device or method that can detect the origin of apnoea during sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Methods to detect apnoea location
endoscope. has to be done in a medical setting though.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 04:18 PM)napnaptime Wrote: I know that the airway behaves differently during sleep, I was wondering is there any device or method that can detect the origin of apnoea during sleep?

Unless you have something unique or troublesome going on, people generally don't care exactly what is collapsing, as long as they get it fixed. 8-)

Do you really need to know for some reason, or are you just curious?

If you're just trying to figure out if you have Central or Obstructive Apneas, they can normally figure that out in a sleep study using brainwave/airflow/muscle data, and the auto machines can take a pretty good guess at it too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 04:54 PM)DariaVader Wrote: endoscope. has to be done in a medical setting though.

I have had this done at ENT but not while I was sleeping.

(11-23-2015, 05:24 PM)Terry Wrote:
(11-23-2015, 04:18 PM)napnaptime Wrote: I know that the airway behaves differently during sleep, I was wondering is there any device or method that can detect the origin of apnoea during sleep?

Unless you have something unique or troublesome going on, people generally don't care exactly what is collapsing, as long as they get it fixed. 8-)

Do you really need to know for some reason, or are you just curious?

If you're just trying to figure out if you have Central or Obstructive Apneas, they can normally figure that out in a sleep study using brainwave/airflow/muscle data, and the auto machines can take a pretty good guess at it too.

I was Dx'd obstructive sleep apnoea but when I went to ENT he could not see any obstruction, he said the airway behaves differently during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 04:57 AM)napnaptime Wrote: I was Dx'd obstructive sleep apnoea but when I went to ENT he could not see any obstruction, he said the airway behaves differently during sleep.

If the ENT could see an obstruction while you're awake it's not sleep apnea Smile Obstructive apnea occurs when the muscles in your airway relax during sleep and allow the soft palate and/or tongue to fall back and block the airway. There are some videos on Youtube which explain what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kmTmXuM6NE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 05:11 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 04:57 AM)napnaptime Wrote: I was Dx'd obstructive sleep apnoea but when I went to ENT he could not see any obstruction, he said the airway behaves differently during sleep.

If the ENT could see an obstruction while you're awake it's not sleep apnea Smile Obstructive apnea occurs when the muscles in your airway relax during sleep and allow the soft palate and/or tongue to fall back and block the airway. There are some videos on Youtube which explain what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kmTmXuM6NE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

Not necessarily true, you can have sleep apnoea from an enlarged tongue, tonsils etc that can be seen from an ENT exam. If your tonsils for example are huge then you can remove them, that for some people is all they need. I have a deviated septum for example but I breath through my mouth so it wasn't considered a source.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 355 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 442 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou
  New Sleep Apnoea test ordered. Ockrocket 11 959 07-30-2023, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea Hroot 31 2,573 03-20-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  CENTRAL APNOEA Pedrx 19 2,600 03-19-2022, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Pedrx
  Causes of Unknown Apnoea events? Ratchick 38 3,205 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Sleep apnoea pillow? Chalkie 8 1,434 05-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.