Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP doesn't seem to be helping - any suggestions?
CPAP doesn't seem to be helping - any suggestions?
Hi Folks

I'm new to using CPAP, I use a FP SleepStyle CPAP machine. It took me weeks to get use to it, as I had to keep tinkering with the settings to find the perfect settings, and then also switched to the DreamWear mask which is very good as I can now turn on my sides much easier. 

Settings:
min pressure: set to 6.5 
max pressure: set to 11.
Expiratory Relief: Turned on slightly (only 1/3 just to make it a bit easier to breathe out)

SensAwake: Turned off as I heard that resetting the pressure while sleeping is not good
Humidity: 3/7

AHI: Usually between 1.5 and 3.3 with CPAP (Prior to CPAP I was monitored at 38 AHI events per hour)

I sleep for about 8h. I haven't seen much improvement in my energy/alertness since going on CPAP. 

Is there anything else that I should be doing to improve the quality of my sleep? Also how do I know that the CPAP is working? Does AHI give enough indicator that my sleep apnea isn't an issue anymore?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP doesn't seem to be helping - any suggestions?
While your summary looks very good you can download OSCAR and post your daily charts, use F12 as it performs some temp minor formatting for the screenshot. This is what will give us the best data to see what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Gideon says, it will be very helpful if you can get going with Oscar and post a screenshot of a daily chart.

Meanwhile, be really honest with yourself about the extent to which you follow this advice for better sleep:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

I have to confess I ignored this stuff until I got desperate. Then I changed several habits (reading in bed, screen time too close to bed time, coffee in the afternoon, irregular schedule for going to bed and getting up), and lo and behold, that helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Gideon Ok thanks for that. I've added some attachments. 

@Dormeo Thanks for the tips, I can certainly improve on some of those things.

Additional attachments added. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know whether your machine lumps together obstructive and central apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
@Dormeo, I wouldn't know sorry
Post Reply Post Reply
If those are all obstructive apnea events, then I would say you need to raise your minimum a fair amount. Try increasing it by 1 to start and see how that goes.

I'm also seeing a bit of clustering, which might be due to your tucking your chin down toward your chest. This can slightly constrict the airway and make it easier for obstructive events to occur. If you use a high pillow, try using a flatter one. And try noticing whether you are doing any chin-tucking. More about that here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,919 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 244 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 195 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 303 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.