Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Microsoft discounts cost of Windows 8 by 70%
I still like DOS 5 !!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 11:33 AM)me50 Wrote: If we have to tolerate win 8, and we do as new laptops don't have win 7 anymore, then I want office to be included in the package. We deserve to have that to ease the pain of win 8. As it stands now, if we want office, we have to pay extra for it.

But what are you going to take to ease the pain of using MS Office?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2014, 12:09 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 11:33 AM)me50 Wrote: If we have to tolerate win 8, and we do as new laptops don't have win 7 anymore, then I want office to be included in the package. We deserve to have that to ease the pain of win 8. As it stands now, if we want office, we have to pay extra for it.

But what are you going to take to ease the pain of using MS Office?

I never had issues with MS office with any of my old PCs/laptops
Post Reply Post Reply

Linux is still free. LinuxMint KDE is my flavor of choice.

Try Libre Office. It's free; reads and writes MS Office files just fine.

There is always a choice, at least at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 09:21 PM)Rhymer Wrote: Linux is still free. LinuxMint KDE is my flavor of choice.

thx for the info.

One of the points I am making is that with Win 8, we don't get office included like with the previous versions of windows
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 11:51 PM)me50 Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 09:21 PM)Rhymer Wrote: Linux is still free. LinuxMint KDE is my flavor of choice.

thx for the info.

One of the points I am making is that with Win 8, we don't get office included like with the previous versions of windows
Actually I don't recall Office ever being bundled in with the operating system by Microsoft. Some manufacturers (Dell, may HP) delivered it bundled together on a new build. But it wasn't because Microsoft included it in the op sys.

Post Reply Post Reply

(03-05-2014, 12:04 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 11:51 PM)me50 Wrote:

thx for the info.

Actually I don't recall Office ever being bundled in with the operating system by Microsoft. Some manufacturers (Dell, may HP) delivered it bundled together on a new build. But it wasn't because Microsoft included it in the op sys.

All I can say is that every laptop that we bought had office included on the machine. I don't remember the brand of the last laptop that we bought but the one we have now is Fujitsu and it didn't come with office but did come with win 8 (wish the other laptop still worked b/c it had win 7 on it)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it used to be the manufacturers thought you needed something to help you write letters, thesis's's (oh term papers....) and such. Now they know if you can get to Facebook it's all good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Windows always came with a lite version of Office, as I recall. The full-blown version costs extra.
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Windows 8.x is the new Vista -- neither could be given away.

As for Linux. Getting the right drivers for your hardware can be a challenge.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 Update 10/2017 SarcasticDave94 17 644 11-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  December 2016 security monthly quality rollup for Windows 7 justMongo 8 1,102 12-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Last Post: JonC
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 537 09-23-2016, 07:23 PM
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 1,366 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 768 07-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,559 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 552 01-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader