Microsoft discounts cost of Windows 8 by 70%
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: Microsoft discounts cost of Windows 8 by 70%
(03-10-2014 08:15 AM)justMongo Wrote:  As for Linux. Getting the right drivers for your hardware can be a challenge.

That may have been true several years ago, but increasingly in my experience, at least the newer versions of Ubuntu Linux (12.04 and up) are allowing you to include proprietary drivers and other software upon install. I've installed Ubuntu Linux on several different computers, both old and new, each with different types of hardware (motherboards, hard drives, DVD drives, video cards, etc), and haven't had a problem with drivers at all, with the exception of all-in-one printers, but even then there was a working driver available, and the only problem I had was getting the scanner part of an all-in-one printer to work properly. But after some searching on the interwebz, I quickly found how to resolve those types of issues.

Most of the Linux installs I've done are for home/desktop or small office environments, and it seems to work generally okay for those types of installs.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

03-10-2014 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(03-10-2014 10:49 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:15 AM)justMongo Wrote:  As for Linux. Getting the right drivers for your hardware can be a challenge.

That may have been true several years ago, but increasingly in my experience, at least the newer versions of Ubuntu Linux (12.04 and up) are allowing you to include proprietary drivers and other software upon install.

Yep. So I installed Ubuntu on a spare 1.5tb. It found all the drivers required except for my Xerox Laser Jet. For that one it had to search and suggest a "replacement" driver, which I installed and which does work fine.

The dual boot thing isn't working right, which apparently is a common problem with Windows 8 machines, but that's fine because I have to stay with Windows 8 for applications that won't migrate to Linux, such as Quickbooks, Foxpro, and a website development package I use. But for internet play time, I'm going to enjoy the Ubuntu package.
03-10-2014 11:16 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-10-2014 10:49 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  

That may have been true several years ago, but increasingly in my experience, at least the newer versions of Ubuntu Linux (12.04 and up) are allowing you to include proprietary drivers and other software upon install. I've installed Ubuntu Linux on several different computers, both old and new, each with different types of hardware (motherboards, hard drives, DVD drives, video cards, etc), and haven't had a problem with drivers at all, with the exception of all-in-one printers, but even then there was a working driver available, and the only problem I had was getting the scanner part of an all-in-one printer to work properly. But after some searching on the interwebz, I quickly found how to resolve those types of issues.

Most of the Linux installs I've done are for home/desktop or small office environments, and it seems to work generally okay for those types of installs.

I have a Dell XPS 630i with the Nvidia 630i chipset and Intel Q6600 processor. 4GB of RAM. I run two 500GB HDDs in Raid Mirror. I have two Nvidia 9800GT graphics cards running in SLI. 8 lanes instead of the 16 lanes they're capable of because Dell wanted to save some copper on the MoBo. All the drivers are Dellified.

Dell will not support me in an upgrade to W7 or W8 because they want to sell hardware.

I do have a bootable version of Ubantu Linux on a CDROM -- but, I've never tried to use it.

I do have a Brother all-in-one that I depend on -- both networked and connected by USB to this machine.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-10-2014 04:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Yep, I understand. That's why if I'm going to build a LAN with higher-end boxen, I first find out if the hardware I need will work properly with Linux. If there's no working drivers for Linux, I don't use that hardware (assuming the customer wants Linux on their machines). But I generally don't have to do that with basic workstations - Ubuntu seems to work with just about everything workstation-wise anyway.

As for Dell, I've not had good experiences with their support either, Linux-wise. Seems like a lot of the more popular PC makers these days don't like to provide much support or drivers for Linux - sometimes they do, but it never comes with any type of support guaranty and comes with the "you're on your own" caveat.

Linux is just plain solid as a rock. There is a reason that Linux/Unix variants have a lead over all other operating systems on web servers, smart phones, tablet PCs and supercomputers.

Our Apnea Board server runs on CentOS, a Linux distro. And all our software here is open-source. I don't know much about CentOS at all, however. Mostly familiar with Ubuntu on the desktop. Servers give me headaches, which is why we pay for a managed server.

SHa_biggrin5

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-10-2014 08:15 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

By the way, for those of you who use WindowsXP, support for WinXP ends in less than a month (April 8, 2014).

Read here for more info:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

If you haven't updated your WinXP machine in a while, I'd do it asap, as after that date, you will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-10-2014 08:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

(03-10-2014 08:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  If you haven't updated your WinXP machine in a while, I'd do it asap, as after that date, you will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update.

Actually, updating it could be a problem. One of the latest updates has caused XP systems to run like Ms. Piggy, which has resulted in many people buying a new machine. All for something not really needed. Google "XP update makes machine run like Ms. Piggy," or something like that. When/if I find the patch number, I'll post it here.
03-10-2014 10:44 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(03-10-2014 10:44 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Actually, updating it could be a problem. One of the latest updates has caused XP systems to run like Ms. Piggy, which has resulted in many people buying a new machine.

Great... another wonderful Micro$oft "feature". Oh-jeez

Let me know what you find out about this... I was going to do some updates soon to several WinXP PCs... Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-11-2014 09:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Just a heads-up... word on the geek street is that major banks are not happy with Micro$soft's ending support for XP on April 8th. A ton of banks still use XP... and I mean a ton...

So they're putting pressure on MS to extend at least the date for critical updates to address malware and security vulnerabilities into next year.

Money talks, I guess... we'll see what happens.

Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-24-2014 05:09 PM
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(03-10-2014 10:44 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  If you haven't updated your WinXP machine in a while, I'd do it asap, as after that date, you will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update.

Actually, updating it could be a problem. One of the latest updates has caused XP systems to run like Ms. Piggy, which has resulted in many people buying a new machine. All for something not really needed. Google "XP update makes machine run like Ms. Piggy," or something like that. When/if I find the patch number, I'll post it here.

I don't know the precise date when this happened, but within the last couple of months, there was an XP update that caused the "Automatic Updates" service to hog nearly all the CPU. In my company (we manage hundreds of these machines, both physical and virtual), we have simply disabled the "Automatic Updates" service, both in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003 (closely related). Normally this service is set to start automatically when the machine is booted. Updates, whether run manually or automatically, will not work unless this service is enabled and running. In our case, it is set to Disabled, and only enabled and started when we want to run updates.

If Microsoft does what they have done in the past, the April 8 date is when they will stop posting new updates to their site. Updates already in place should continue to be available. Of course, there is no guarantee that Microsoft won't change their methods.

As for Linux, I work a great deal in Linux, and most of my Linux servers don't even have the Graphic Interface installed. The main issue with Linux is that many manufacturers of devices (printers, scanners, Multifunction units, whatever) automatically write a Windows driver, and call it done. After all, they have just addressed over 90% of their market. In response, the Linux community has gone about building subsystems that are rather capable of auto-recognizing many types of hardware, and building drivers that can operate many similar devices. Linux users will not have the breadth of device support that Windows users enjoy, until the manufacturers see a monetary reason to change their approach. Happily, the worse the acceptance of Windows 8 (coming so soon after the Vista debacle), the more folks may shift to Linux where practical. That will help persuade manufacturers to pay more attention to the Linux community - a very good thing.

By the way, CentOS stands for Community ENTerprise Operating System, and is a re-branded free version of Redhat Enterprise Linux, possibly the most dominant enterprise version of Linux. This is done with Redhat's consent and cooperation. We use CentOS extensively at my company.
03-24-2014 08:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

(03-24-2014 08:52 PM)becker44a Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 10:44 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  

I don't know the precise date when this happened, but within the last couple of months, there was an XP update that caused the "Automatic Updates" service to hog nearly all the CPU. In my company (we manage hundreds of these machines, both physical and virtual), we have simply disabled the "Automatic Updates" service, both in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003 (closely related). Normally this service is set to start automatically when the machine is booted. Updates, whether run manually or automatically, will not work unless this service is enabled and running. In our case, it is set to Disabled, and only enabled and started when we want to run updates.

Thanks Becker.. I tried to find the update that was causing the problem but didn't get it done and forgot to post back.

I have a lot of friends and customers who are "alarmed" by the dropping of XP support. I generally tell them to relax. Unless they were planning on calling Microsoft anytime soon and ask some question they really don't need to worry so much about no support on XP. Keep the virus programs updated and go on with life. Perhaps a different matter for a big bank or something, but for grandma susie down the street the idea of moving to a new computer running windows 8.1 with a 3 tera-byte hard drive just so she can see the latest grandbabies pics is a little ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2014 09:06 PM by retired_guy.)
03-24-2014 09:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 220 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 773 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 442 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,105 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 379 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,055 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,806 09-16-2015 10:46 AM