Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Migraines and Apnea
Question 
Migraines and Apnea
Is it common for apnea events to worsen during a migraine?  During the last few weeks of treatment, my episodes have dropped to around one event an hour. I had a migraine earlier this week and my apnea events skyrocketed to nine events per hour during that day and night. I wish Resmed's MyAir broke things down better it seems a cheap way of keeping track of my episodes and leaks. I can't tell when the episodes are occurring during the 10ish hours I normally sleep. I also have noticed if I fail to wake up by a certain time (a 12 hour sleeping night) the last few hours of sleep get rolled over to the next night. It seems to round everything out so I can't tell how many of that 9 an hour was during my nap induced by a headache or that night still suffering from it.  I've read about and watch video's on sleepyhead and I see a lot of people here seem to use it. Is it worth the download? Would it help with tracking how often my migraines cause my apnea to worsen?
Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Migraines and Apnea
Sleepyhead is well worth having and using to track therapy.
You cannot beat the price -- it's free. Developed, open-source by someone who suffers from sleep apnea and can code.

Since true migraine headaches are a process in the brain, I can see that event rate would go up during a migraine -- even during the prodrome to a migraine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with justMongo Sleephead is a big plus.

As for the reports rolling over. It is my understanding that the break point in the reports is noon time. If you are sleeping through this time your report will be on two different days.

It could be that the clock in the machine is set to the wrong time and thinks you are sleeping past noon time.

Sleepyhead has not only great information and charts it has a place you can make notes for each day. By learning to read the charts and making notes you can go back and learn about what is going on. What did you feel like, what did you do, what did the doctor say or do, what were the cpap settings for each day, were any changes made to the settings, and the list goes on.

Did I tell you that I think Sleephead is great stuff like With it and this group of fine folks you can do a lot for yourself if you want to.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hiya Myearthhaven

Welcome to the forum. Definitely download sleepyhead. It is a fantastic programme that gives you and the experienced guys here all you want to know about your sleep issues and MORE.

I have just managed to find out more about the programme and have started to write notes for the past few mornings. This will let me know how my experimentations with settings is making me 'feel' as opposed to accepting numbers. At times it does seem the numbers may look good but you don't!!

Sympathies to you re the migraines, from an ex sufferer. Hang on in there with the PAP therapy and with the fab seniors in this forum, you will find your level.

Cheers.....
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are days I sleep past noon. I'm still waiting for the Daytime fatigue and my 10 to 12-hour sleeping burst to end. I have more issues than apnea in play, like fibromyalgia. The sleep doctor also suspects that I could possibly have another sleeping disorder as well. The symptoms that sent me to get the sleep study started 24 years ago when I was 14. It took so long to get a study done because whenever I told doctors before I always got "You have fibromyalgia, of course, you sleep all the time." and "You have PTSD, It's natural you have dreams you are laying in your bed, can't move and are being suffocated, with weird ass dream-like hallucinations."  Like when I was diagnosed with the fibromyalgia, I think I hit the golden age they start to realize it's more than depression or other conditions you have been labeled with.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is easy and often productive to tread the first thing that comes to mind and not dig any deeper. Take two pills and call my office in the morning we will try to fit you in. Well a lot of folks never call, wow what good advice they must be cured.

Like you I have more than one problem and it has at time been tough to deal with. Just remember the doc's are it training that is why they call it a ? (bet you can guess) However they got a good edjamacation and deploma. No really they are trying to do their best with a ton of problems. You live all day with yourself and have the best seat in the house to see what is going on. But the play is in a strange sounding voice that you may not understand. Keep working on understanding your body and what it is telling you. cpap and Sleephead are tools to help you and your doc make your engine purrr like a indy car on race day.

Now what kind of drugs am I on today ? I have to tell you I feel good from reading a funny book.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible that when you have a migraine, you hold your head differently, like bend your chin toward your chest. This would increase the OSA events.

Do you take a medication to treat the migraine when one hits? If so, that could also be increasing the events.

One thing you may want to do is sit down with either your GP or your pharmacist and go over all of your medications, especially if you get them from different docs. Look at all of them to see if any interfere with sleep. Ask when is the best time of day to take each one. For those of us with chronic conditions that require seeing multiple physicians, it is important that we do this every few years. Sooner if there are a lot of changes. And always get your medications from the same place so they can keep a better eye on interactions for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a med manager I see to keep all my meds in order and make sure none of them interfere with each other. He was the one who contacted my GP to tell him I should have a sleep study done. I was telling him how my paralysis dreams had increased after we took me of one of my antidepressants. As for the meds I take for the migraines, I don't have any at this time beyond my normal meds. They only come on about once a month now and being a housewife so they don't interfere much with work. Locking myself up in a dark room and trying to sleep it off is how I've been handling them these days. If they last more than two days I contact my doctor. When they were more frequent and I was working I did take a migraine-specific medication at onset. I already take so many meds now, two on them a neurological and can be used off-label to control migraines themselves. I also take a med I can't take any other anti-inflammatories with so I even have to be careful with over the counter cold medicines. Most of my migraines pass in a day maybe two and headaches can be knocked down with a tramadol. If they increase in frequency again I will ask my doctor about extra control. I have the hope that after a few months of CPAP therapy I will find my fibromyalgia pain more tolerable. I dream of my health improving enough that I can work outside the home.
Post Reply Post Reply
tramadol has the potential to cause or increase central apnea. Using Sleepyhead may help sort out what type of apnea increases during migraines.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My muscle relaxer does too. I take 2mgs of tizanidine in the morning and again at night. The tramadol I can take 100mg to 150 mg in a day and 15mg meloxicam in the morning. For fibromyalgia, it's a very mild pain management combo. During the 10-hour sleep study, I had a total of 13 central apnea events. All my Obstructive events were hypopneas and I had 132 of those for the night. My sleep was so disrupted by those and random awakenings  My deep sleep time was only 4.2% of my sleep time. That screams a fibromyalgia agitator. I hope as my sleep issues get under control there will be less need to take pain medications.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] 15 year CPAP user, now with migraines FermentationFan 3 458 07-13-2023, 06:00 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,891 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.