Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Milk and congestion connection
Milk and congestion connection
Its said that consuming diary food products like milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream can make the symptoms of congestion worse.
I enjoy eating all the above - cheese and wine a marriage made in heaven, wondering is there a relationship or just waffles by some...any thought
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Milk and congestion connection
Well there's Chicken and Waffles....oh...wait...not what you meant! Smile I can't have dairy products any more and I still have chronic post nasal drip. With the CPAP it is bad because it dries up the PND, but it still happens just not as (...um...okay I apologize ahead of time... )loose, so about an hour or two after I wake up I spend a half hour coughing up a lung. Not pleasant at all. And that is without dairy! Problem is that the dairy is a recent thing so I really miss my cheese so bad! If you never had it that would be one thing, but I know what I am missing!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, dairy products can cause mucus build up in most people. You should stay away from milk products when congested, especially when the throat is involved.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
According to Australian study by university of Adelaide did not show a significant relationship between mucus production and milk consumption
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2154152
Post Reply Post Reply
That's odd. I wonder if those who are sensitive to lactose would be the ones with the mucus issue?

But give it another year. They'll change their minds and say milk is evil again.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly, I just read that to relieve acid reflux you can mix half a glass of milk with half 7up for immediate relief. But I have yet to try that. I do know aloe vera juice helps. 1/4 cup usually does the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2012, 11:55 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: Oddly, I just read that to relieve acid reflux you can mix half a glass of milk with half 7up for immediate relief. But I have yet to try that. I do know aloe vera juice helps. 1/4 cup usually does the trick.

I have never tried it with 7up, but I will drink milk to soothe bad reflux. Milk is a base so it will neutralize the acid.

Post Reply Post Reply
And yet for some people, it causes the acid to get worse!

As for the milk and 7up, that sounds so very gross. I don't think I could drink that....but, like I have said, I am weird.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor gave some long explanation of why dairy before bed might cause congestion.....

Though what I found was that its something about my medication that I take at bedtime, that causes congestion if I've had dairy within the last couple of hours.

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 09:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And yet for some people, it causes the acid to get worse!

As for the milk and 7up, that sounds so very gross. I don't think I could drink that....but, like I have said, I am weird.

No, on this particular item you are not weird...not saying a word about weirdness in general, that is up to you...even though I cannot have milk anymore that does not diminish my love for it and there is no way I would mix 7-up with Milk, even if I could have milk. That is just wrong on so many levels!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 391 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 387 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 407 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 583 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamstation1 battery connection kit good on DS2? OneSnorer 0 426 06-10-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: OneSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.