Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: S8
CPAP Pressure: 14.2
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Minimum settings on Resmed S9
Hello - I have used an S8 for six years, and recently purchased an S9 auto. I have never had a sleep consultant, but after my sleep study the clinician there told me I probably needed a setting of 13. I varied between 12 and 14, and recently was at 14. I am absolutely on my own.

The S9 has so far exceeded my expectations, and my question is about minimum pressure settings. I used the machine the first night with the minimum at 4. I thought the way it worked was that the machine supplied pressure as needed, but mid night I found I was gasping for air. Then I adjusted the minimum to my old pressure (14) and it was way too much. So I upped the minimum to 5 and awoke myself snoring, which I thought the machine wouldn't let happen.

So the final min adjustment right now is 8, and seems to be working, but I am asking if I have to set that or the machine will judge what I need? Bit convoluted, I'm afraid, but I hope you get the point.

Thanks
Franko
11-07-2013 08:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
robysue Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: PR Dreamstation BiPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: PR Dreamstation humidfier
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 4; max IPAP = 9;
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments: Papping since September 2010

Sex: Female

RE: Minimum settings on Resmed S9
An APAP can adjust the pressure according to your needs, but it adjusts the pressure in response to events. In other words, you want the minimum starting pressure to be somewhere close to the needed pressure. Otherwise too many events will have to happen before the machine raises the pressure up enough for the pressure level to be effective.

In addition, once you are used to breathing with a fair amount of pressure, really minimal pressures (like 4 or 5 cm) may feel like there's not enough air coming in through the mask.

The interesting question is why does the S9's 14cm seem "way too much" when the S8's 14cm was not causing you too many problems. One question that immediately comes to mind: Did you have EPR turn on on the S8? (If so, what was it set at?) Did you forget to turn on EPR on the S9? A second question that comes to mind: Are you using the same humidity settings? A third question: Is it possible that the smaller hose on the S9 is just making the same amount of air feel more forceful?

Finally you ask:
Quote:So the final min adjustment right now is 8, and seems to be working, but I am asking if I have to set that or the machine will judge what I need?
The answer is A bit of both. As you've found out the hard way, it can be uncomfortable to sleep with the machine set wide open or with a very low minimum pressure setting. Manually bumping up the min pressure (as you have done) can make things a lot more comfortable and make the PAP therapy more effective. But at the same time, the data the machine gathers each night can also be examined and analyzed---even by you---and that data can let you see what the machine is doing in terms of adjusting the pressure every night. The trends in how it adjusts the pressure can be quite useful in figuring out what a good minimum pressure setting is for maximizing the effectiveness of your therapy.
11-07-2013 08:23 AM
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

If you are using a Windows or Mac machine, you might do well to download SleepyHead software which you can access the download link HERE. Sleep-well

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-07-2013 09:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

just to make sure I understand some of what you are saying, what is your pressure range settings on your new S9 auto?
11-07-2013 09:38 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Frankofoto,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What robysue said.
Good luck with your new S9AutoSet and hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
11-07-2013 11:09 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Frankofoto Offline

New Members

Machine: S8

Other Comments:

(11-07-2013 08:23 AM)robysue Wrote:  An APAP can adjust the pressure according to your needs, but it adjusts the pressure in response to events. In other words, you want the minimum starting pressure to be somewhere close to the needed pressure. Otherwise too many events will have to happen before the machine raises the pressure up enough for the pressure level to be effective.

In addition, once you are used to breathing with a fair amount of pressure, really minimal pressures (like 4 or 5 cm) may feel like there's not enough air coming in through the mask.

The interesting question is why does the S9's 14cm seem "way too much" when the S8's 14cm was not causing you too many problems. One question that immediately comes to mind: Did you have EPR turn on on the S8? (If so, what was it set at?) Did you forget to turn on EPR on the S9? A second question that comes to mind: Are you using the same humidity settings? A third question: Is it possible that the smaller hose on the S9 is just making the same amount of air feel more forceful?

Finally you ask:
Quote:So the final min adjustment right now is 8, and seems to be working, but I am asking if I have to set that or the machine will judge what I need?
The answer is A bit of both. As you've found out the hard way, it can be uncomfortable to sleep with the machine set wide open or with a very low minimum pressure setting. Manually bumping up the min pressure (as you have done) can make things a lot more comfortable and make the PAP therapy more effective. But at the same time, the data the machine gathers each night can also be examined and analyzed---even by you---and that data can let you see what the machine is doing in terms of adjusting the pressure every night. The trends in how it adjusts the pressure can be quite useful in figuring out what a good minimum pressure setting is for maximizing the effectiveness of your therapy.

Well, when I got my S8, I was a walking Zombie - I would sleep 12 hours and wake up exhausted. I was incapable of making decisions and finally my daughter made the appointment, and I just showed up. All that to say, I didn't even know the S8 had EPR - that certainly would have helpedSmile

So I am only into my first few nights, and I love this machine, and because I have been reading all this wonderful information, I feel like I have a much better handle on the equipment. When I got the S8 all I wanted to do was sleep.

I will use the software and the data to fine tune things, but I am once again sleeping the night through, and everything else is just going to help.

Cheers, and thank you so much.

Frank
(11-07-2013 09:38 AM)me50 Wrote:  just to make sure I understand some of what you are saying, what is your pressure range settings on your new S9 auto?

Min is now 8 and max is 20.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 11:53 AM by Frankofoto.)
11-07-2013 11:53 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(11-07-2013 08:07 AM)Frankofoto Wrote:  Hello - I have used an S8 for six years, and recently purchased an S9 auto.
Hi Frankofoto
What does it say next to stop/start button? ... AutoSet or Escape Auto
Two completely different machines
11-07-2013 03:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Frankofoto Offline

New Members

Machine: S8

Other Comments:

(11-07-2013 03:18 PM)zonk Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 08:07 AM)Frankofoto Wrote:  Hello - I have used an S8 for six years, and recently purchased an S9 auto.
Hi Frankofoto
What does it say next to stop/start button? ... AutoSet or Escape Auto
Two completely different machines

"AutoSet" - supposed to be the Mac Daddy -
11-07-2013 06:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 27 551 Today 09:02 PM
Last Post: Russatrice
  Newbie - need advice on settings and machine tmc712 18 389 12-06-2016 09:04 PM
Last Post: tmc712
  Dream Station Settings Autumnseer 15 562 11-26-2016 07:01 AM
Last Post: Weird Tolkienish Figure
  Who generally is in charge of your CPAP settings? Mezzrow 9 485 11-12-2016 01:47 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  do I have the right machine (and settings) JaminV 4 380 10-31-2016 10:05 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 746 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 532 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider