Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Minimum settings on Resmed S9
Minimum settings on Resmed S9
Hello - I have used an S8 for six years, and recently purchased an S9 auto. I have never had a sleep consultant, but after my sleep study the clinician there told me I probably needed a setting of 13. I varied between 12 and 14, and recently was at 14. I am absolutely on my own.

The S9 has so far exceeded my expectations, and my question is about minimum pressure settings. I used the machine the first night with the minimum at 4. I thought the way it worked was that the machine supplied pressure as needed, but mid night I found I was gasping for air. Then I adjusted the minimum to my old pressure (14) and it was way too much. So I upped the minimum to 5 and awoke myself snoring, which I thought the machine wouldn't let happen.

So the final min adjustment right now is 8, and seems to be working, but I am asking if I have to set that or the machine will judge what I need? Bit convoluted, I'm afraid, but I hope you get the point.

Thanks
Franko
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Minimum settings on Resmed S9
An APAP can adjust the pressure according to your needs, but it adjusts the pressure in response to events. In other words, you want the minimum starting pressure to be somewhere close to the needed pressure. Otherwise too many events will have to happen before the machine raises the pressure up enough for the pressure level to be effective.

In addition, once you are used to breathing with a fair amount of pressure, really minimal pressures (like 4 or 5 cm) may feel like there's not enough air coming in through the mask.

The interesting question is why does the S9's 14cm seem "way too much" when the S8's 14cm was not causing you too many problems. One question that immediately comes to mind: Did you have EPR turn on on the S8? (If so, what was it set at?) Did you forget to turn on EPR on the S9? A second question that comes to mind: Are you using the same humidity settings? A third question: Is it possible that the smaller hose on the S9 is just making the same amount of air feel more forceful?

Finally you ask:
Quote:So the final min adjustment right now is 8, and seems to be working, but I am asking if I have to set that or the machine will judge what I need?
The answer is A bit of both. As you've found out the hard way, it can be uncomfortable to sleep with the machine set wide open or with a very low minimum pressure setting. Manually bumping up the min pressure (as you have done) can make things a lot more comfortable and make the PAP therapy more effective. But at the same time, the data the machine gathers each night can also be examined and analyzed---even by you---and that data can let you see what the machine is doing in terms of adjusting the pressure every night. The trends in how it adjusts the pressure can be quite useful in figuring out what a good minimum pressure setting is for maximizing the effectiveness of your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

If you are using a Windows or Mac machine, you might do well to download SleepyHead software which you can access the download link HERE. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
just to make sure I understand some of what you are saying, what is your pressure range settings on your new S9 auto?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Frankofoto,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What robysue said.
Good luck with your new S9AutoSet and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 08:23 AM)robysue Wrote: An APAP can adjust the pressure according to your needs, but it adjusts the pressure in response to events. In other words, you want the minimum starting pressure to be somewhere close to the needed pressure. Otherwise too many events will have to happen before the machine raises the pressure up enough for the pressure level to be effective.

In addition, once you are used to breathing with a fair amount of pressure, really minimal pressures (like 4 or 5 cm) may feel like there's not enough air coming in through the mask.

The interesting question is why does the S9's 14cm seem "way too much" when the S8's 14cm was not causing you too many problems. One question that immediately comes to mind: Did you have EPR turn on on the S8? (If so, what was it set at?) Did you forget to turn on EPR on the S9? A second question that comes to mind: Are you using the same humidity settings? A third question: Is it possible that the smaller hose on the S9 is just making the same amount of air feel more forceful?

Finally you ask:
Quote:So the final min adjustment right now is 8, and seems to be working, but I am asking if I have to set that or the machine will judge what I need?
The answer is A bit of both. As you've found out the hard way, it can be uncomfortable to sleep with the machine set wide open or with a very low minimum pressure setting. Manually bumping up the min pressure (as you have done) can make things a lot more comfortable and make the PAP therapy more effective. But at the same time, the data the machine gathers each night can also be examined and analyzed---even by you---and that data can let you see what the machine is doing in terms of adjusting the pressure every night. The trends in how it adjusts the pressure can be quite useful in figuring out what a good minimum pressure setting is for maximizing the effectiveness of your therapy.

Well, when I got my S8, I was a walking Zombie - I would sleep 12 hours and wake up exhausted. I was incapable of making decisions and finally my daughter made the appointment, and I just showed up. All that to say, I didn't even know the S8 had EPR - that certainly would have helpedSmile

So I am only into my first few nights, and I love this machine, and because I have been reading all this wonderful information, I feel like I have a much better handle on the equipment. When I got the S8 all I wanted to do was sleep.

I will use the software and the data to fine tune things, but I am once again sleeping the night through, and everything else is just going to help.

Cheers, and thank you so much.

Frank
(11-07-2013, 09:38 AM)me50 Wrote: just to make sure I understand some of what you are saying, what is your pressure range settings on your new S9 auto?

Min is now 8 and max is 20.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 08:07 AM)Frankofoto Wrote: Hello - I have used an S8 for six years, and recently purchased an S9 auto.
Hi Frankofoto
What does it say next to stop/start button? ... AutoSet or Escape Auto
Two completely different machines

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 03:18 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 08:07 AM)Frankofoto Wrote: Hello - I have used an S8 for six years, and recently purchased an S9 auto.
Hi Frankofoto
What does it say next to stop/start button? ... AutoSet or Escape Auto
Two completely different machines

"AutoSet" - supposed to be the Mac Daddy -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 319 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,071 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the ResMed 'For Her' settings? Robert89 2 503 09-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.