Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Minor Success Story. Kinda.
Minor Success Story. Kinda.
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, be gentle! Big Grin

I just wanted to share a minor success that I've had with Sleep Apnea. But I'll start with my failure. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive Sleep Apnea. I tried, and tried using my CPAP machine, but I couldn't get used to it. I kept waking up at 1AM having it feel like it was overpowering my breathing, but in a bad way. Having talked with others since I believe it might have been the ramp up feature that was causing my issue. But I eventually gave up on it.

What I did do was lose 10 pounds, and I bought an adjustable bed. It was really expensive, but it's helped me a lot. It's way more comfy than sleeping in a chair (which I did for a while) And by angling the bed upwards at just the right angle, my symptoms reduced dramatically. And I can even sleep on my back, which I hadn't been able to do for years because of my symptoms. I feel a lot better now. The downside is we couldn't afford a bed that adjusted on both side independently, and my wife finds sleeping at that angle uncomfortable sometimes. She's really good about it, but I hate inconveniencing her. So with that in mind, I'm thinking on trying the CPAP machine again without the ramp up feature.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if this info will help anyone else, but I just wanted to put it out there just in case.

Cheers,
Moe
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Minor Success Story. Kinda.
I have had my cpap for about a month now and initially found myself feeling suffocated ( even though air was coming in fine) so I decided to turn off the ramp feature and have and have had much better luck, I would give that a shot for sure before giving up, I have found myself feeling so much better than I have in years that the effort has been worth it, I am working out 3 times a week again and lost 19 lbs so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cyan02,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss, keep up the good work.
Hopefully, your second go 'round with your CPAP machine will go better for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with the ramp feature is generally not the ramp itself but the starting pressure for the ramp which is often left at the factory setting which is 4 cm/H2O. If one raises the ramp start pressure one can usually do away with the feeling of suffocating. It can be a useful tool but many people prefer it to be turned off. Plus if you are using an Auto PAP and your minimum pressure setting is anywhere in the area of 4 to 7 cm then the ramp is kind of redundant.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Great progress on the weight loss, I'm hoping to get inspired by your story and others and get rid of some pounds!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2015, 02:31 PM)Cyan02 Wrote: So with that in mind, I'm thinking on trying the CPAP machine again without the ramp up feature.
Which machine and model is it?
Fill your profile, so we can get an idea of the machine, mask, CPAP pressure, humidifier, ....

Ramp is one the features, you can decide starting pressure and duration to ramp to therapy pressure and whether to use it or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone, thanks for all of the great feedback!

Nytro_Mike - Congrats on the weightloss, 19 lbs must be really helping! (and probably nice for the waistline too)

trish6hundred - Thanks for the warm welcome. Smile

PaytonA - I appreciate the info, I wish I'd posted here back when I was initially on the CPAP ... I'm sure it would have helped. I'll keep that in mind when I go for round 2 with the CPAP machine.

stanleydean - Even losing a bit of weight can make a surprising difference. Promise you won't regret it!

Zonk - Ok, I've updated what I remember, it's been a few months since I was on the CPAP machine. It was a ResMed S9 AutoSet with a humidifier and full face mask. I don't know the settings, it was being managed by the sleep clinic that I was going to. I just remember initially I was fine, but I'd inevitably wake up at around 1AM with too much air flow and feeling like I was suffocating. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,981 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,057 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 903 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,023 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.