Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Minor mod to help keep Swift FX headgear on.
Minor mod to help keep Swift FX headgear on.
So I was googling how to keep my Swift FX Nasal Pillows mask on better and I found a picture of what looks like a strap you can buy to keep the headgear on more secure and stop it from riding up the back of my head while I'm sleeping. I'm sure my medium length hair doesn't help that.

I wasn't sure if that item could be found for purchase anywhere but then decided to fashion my own. So after a trip to Fabricland and paying just over $4, I picked up some heavy duty cloth strap or heavy duty ribbon (not sure what else to call it as I'm not really into sewing) and some round stick-on velcro. With my hubby's help we made an addition to the Swift FX's headgear that I hope will work well. I sewed the velcro pieces onto the strap or ribbon which may need to be replaced with heavier velcro pieces, but I'll try what I've done so far and see how it goes.

I didn't know if anyone else might be interested in this so I thought I'd post it in case it helps someone else out. You'll have to excuse how rough it looks, and you can probably see the pencil marks from where he measured it on me so I could cut the right length and also where to put the velcro pieces.

[attachment=1733]

[attachment=1734]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Minor mod to help keep Swift FX headgear on.
Well, I'll be back to the drawing board not because it didn't work well, cause it did! However, when I wake up in the night for a quick washroom break getting it off and back on is too much of a chore when I'm half asleep. So I have some ideas of what I might try.
Post Reply Post Reply
So here's today's mod. I cut an old stretchy hairband that just happened to be the right size and sewed each end to the slit in the rubber band part of the Swift FX headgear, closest to where the nasal pillows attach. Then sewed some material to keep the new hairband attached to the blue velcro strap of the headgear thereby keeping the velcro band lower on the back of the head. Seems to work well and is easily put on and taken off. Will see tonight how it does for a night's wear.

[attachment=1738]

Post Reply Post Reply
i just put the bottom strap under my hair - first on the fx, and then on the p10 which is what i use now. there is nothing as easy off and on as the p10 Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
DariaVader - Does the P10 stay on ok that way? I like the simplicity of the P10, but chose to try the Swift FX because I thought it would stay on my head better. Now I'm not sure it does. Are the P10's more comfortable than the Swift FX? The P10's don't slide down if under your hair at night?

Hoping to decide as I have the Swift FX and the Wisp home to try along with my loaner machine. I have not even tried the Wisp yet as I like the nasal pillows better than having my entire nose covered-I had the AirFit N10's on during my sleep lab titration test.

I have not bought any of them yet. So hearing an opinion based on how they stay on the head during the night would be really helpful!

Maybe when I buy, if the P10's stay on at least as well as the Swift and the P10's which people seem to love are even more comfortable than the Swift, then I would buy them instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, it stays in place nicely. people without hair like them too - but I like the way my hair keeps it in place. I put the whole thing on over my head with the back strap under my hair. then i use the top strap like a headband to pull back the front hair, then i place the nose piece. I can do this easily in the middle of the night. It was a slight issue learning not to put it on upside down, but then i learned how to feel the little smooth dot on the bottom of the nose piece Smile

I thought that the swift frame was very comfy - but i gave up on it because of the torrent of air that comes out of the vent! The p10 is more diffused and much more comfortable for me. I hate air blowing on me; pathologically!

as far as the masks staying on - somehow you become comfortable with them and they do. try not to overtighten... what feels loose and wonky at first will give you the most comfy therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just watched a video on YouTube demonstrating the P10. The only thing I wonder is with having the swivel at the bottom of the hose that's attached to the mask, instead of up close to the mask like on the Swift FX, does it get tangled or bothersome at all? That was really the reason I chose to try the Swift instead of the P10 as I had the option of either one.

So if the swivel being further down on the hose isn't an issue (???) then I would go with the P10. What's your opinion on the location of the swivel?
Post Reply Post Reply
i don't have any issue with tangle. I do use a hose hanger to make the tubing fall from above, but that is just to keep me from pulling the cpap onto my head at night. (i have done that!)

Post Reply Post Reply
OK DariaVader, thanks for all the helpful info. I have also noticed the strong airflow coming out of the diffuser and find it bothersome. I'm going to get the P10 when I buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK so I'm done with sewing on extra straps. Now that I've tried DariaVader's suggestion of putting the lower strap under my hair - and tightening the top strap, the FX mask is staying put.
Still kind of wondering if the P10 headgear will stay on as well. Hmmm. SOOOOO many people have remarked how much more comfortable the P10's are but I would need to have them both at home to try out. Had the P10's on for a couple of minutes at the DME's when I got my machine, but that's definitely not the way to test drive something.

About the diffuser on the FX. I was thinking of wrapping it with gauze to stop it from coming out like a jetstream. Would this be safe?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,658 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 439 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 351 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 422 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Apparent worsening of symptoms during minor illness TryingToGetItRight 0 255 09-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  Adaptor to fix a Evora headgear on a Brevida mask BeauPetitNez 3 1,009 03-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Nickman111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.