Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Minute Vent Question
Minute Vent Question
I see my machine, as one of the alarm settings, has a Minute Vent alarm. 

It has from 1 - 99 choice/capability. 

I look at my Minute Vent in OSCAR and see normal 95% is around 11 to 14. 

Minimum is usually 7 to 8. 

Would say 9 be a good setting where I should set the alarm?

Is this even something to be interested in as Minimum 8 is fine.
Thanks
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Minute Vent Question
Adding my chart. 
NOTE: OSCAR and my machine are not completely in sync yet, so results may or not be correct.

[attachment=12479]
Post Reply Post Reply
The results shown don't really make any sense. Your min respiratory rate is recorded as 29 breaths per minute, which is highly unlikely unless you secretly are an infant or a cat. Or the settings on the machine are causing you to hyperventilate. That in turn effects the values shown for minute ventilation, since minute ventilation is simply the product of Tidal Volume X Respiratory Rate. I don't think the DreamStation line works very well with software yet.

You can ignore the max minute ventilation statistic, as that is usually the result of an artifact spike.

What is the goal of setting an alarm, aside from disturbing you from your sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 12:37 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: The results shown don't really make any sense. Your min respiratory rate is recorded as 29 breaths per minute, which is highly unlikely unless you secretly are an infant or a cat. Or the settings on the machine are causing you to hyperventilate. That in turn effects the values shown for minute ventilation, since minute ventilation is simply the product of Tidal Volume X Respiratory Rate. I don't think the DreamStation line works very well with software yet.

You can ignore the max minute ventilation statistic, as that is usually the result of an artifact spike.

What is the goal of setting an alarm, aside from disturbing you from your sleep?

That is also my understanding that they are working on integrating my machine into OSCAR. Sent in my SD Zip file. 

I do believe the flow rate chart is working. I use the experimental setting in CPAP to show events.

Reviewing the thread below you will see I am working on what I can do to improve sleep. I am only getting events when I sleep on my back. I'd rather be slightly woke up as a reminder to move back to stomach sleeping. With the alarm I can limit the events. The events wake me up anyway.

I'm working on sleep training to eliminate sleeping on my back as much as possible. It may not work, but I'm giving it a try... Big Grin

Now that I have identified a problem source I've already made real improvements and sleeping much less on my back. 

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-yourself
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 12:37 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: The results shown don't really make any sense. Your min respiratory rate is recorded as 29 breaths per minute, which is highly unlikely unless you secretly are an infant or a cat. Or the settings on the machine are causing you to hyperventilate. That in turn effects the values shown for minute ventilation, since minute ventilation is simply the product of Tidal Volume X Respiratory Rate. I don't think the DreamStation line works very well with software yet.

That is also my understanding that they are working on integrating my machine into OSCAR. Sent in my SD Zip file. 

I do believe the flow rate chart is working. I use the experimental setting in CPAP to show events.

Reviewing the thread below you will see I am working on what I can do to improve sleep. I am only getting events when I sleep on my back. I'd rather be slightly woke up as a reminder to move back to stomach sleeping. With the alarm I can limit the events. The events wake me up anyway.

I'm working on sleep training to eliminate sleeping on my back as much as possible. It may not work, but I'm giving it a try... Big Grin

Now that I have identified a problem source I've already made real improvements and sleeping much less on my back. 

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-yourself
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m not sure why higher MV would indicate you’ve turned onto your back. Could you explain your line of thought about that?

Also, your very high respiratory rate may just reflect a not-uncommon anomaly in your flow rate. Could you zoom in so that that the flow rate shows about one minute’s worth of breaths, then post a screenshot?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your breaths per minute can be calculated as (Minute Vent L/min / Tidal Volume mL) *1000 mL/L

So 9.0/520=0.17*1000 = 17.3 BPM. To check this, 17.3 BPM*(520mL/1000)=9 BPM. The 1000 is to convert mL to L and vice versa. So we know that someone put the wrong equation into Sleepyhead for BPM or it is reading the incorrect hexadecimal data.

As far as setting Mv alarms, I would not do it, but if you insist, then something around 5 L/min, which is half your median Mv is where I would go.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 03:10 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I’m not sure why higher MV would indicate you’ve turned onto your back. Could you explain your line of thought about that?

Also, your very high respiratory rate may just reflect a not-uncommon anomaly in your flow rate. Could you zoom in so that that the flow rate shows about one minute’s worth of breaths, then post a screenshot?

060219 About 1 min of breathing.

I just wanted to be alerted whenever I incur an apnea event. I plan on only sleeping on my stomach. I started a few days ago with the apnea alarm and it has only gone off twice one night, once last night and none one night. I don't even wake up really as it is a pretty soft alarm. Since starting the alarm my AHI on DreamMapper, which records false positives, has been under 1.4

Last night I had 0 OA's and 0 CA's with a few Hypo's.

It was 0.4 night before last.

I found that I only incur apneas when I am on my back. Sides and stomach I incur no apneas.

I have two alarms in my machine. One is an apnea alarm and the other is for MV.

The apnea alarm seems to be working great.
Any info you can add is appreciated... Thanks 

PS If you check my thread on filming during sleep you will see where I'm coming from and hopefully going to... Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 03:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your breaths per minute can be calculated as (Minute Vent L/min / Tidal Volume mL) *1000 mL/L

So 9.0/520=0.17*1000 = 17.3 BPM.   To check this, 17.3 BPM*(520mL/1000)=9 BPM.  The 1000 is to convert mL to L and vice versa.  So we know that someone put the wrong equation into Sleepyhead for BPM or it is reading the incorrect hexadecimal data.

As far as setting Mv alarms, I would not do it, but if you insist, then something around 5 L/min, which is half your median Mv is where I would go.

I'll hold off as you suggest. I just wanted to be alerted ASAP whenever I have any type of abnormality. I'll run with what I'm doing for now and watch it over time. My intention is to never turn back on my back while sleeping... Dielaughing 

Thanks for looking in and providing your thoughts...Gary
PS If you check my thread on filming during sleep you will see where I'm coming from and hopefully going to... Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 03:10 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I’m not sure why higher MV would indicate you’ve turned onto your back. Could you explain your line of thought about that?

I have looked through and this one is like most. Some are quite different. If you want more let me know.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 467 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,798 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,417 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.