Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mirage Quatro Cushion cleaning
Surprised 
Mirage Quatro Cushion cleaning
Hi All, 

So happy to have found this useful forum!

So for the first time ever I decided to start hand cleaning my mask, cushion, etc. I had been using an ozone machine which I recently heard is not good. 

I disassembled the mask unit and let it soak in warm, soapy (dish soap) water for about 40 minutes or so. I rinsed thoroughly and dried. It looked super clean. I put it down and returned to it an hour later and the clear parts of the face cushion had turned chalky white!  Horrors!

What does this mean and do I need to replace it?

I would love to hear from someone who is familiar with this issue. 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mirage Quatro Cushion cleaning
Hi Redorchid2404!  -  Welcome
What did you use to wash it, ammonia?   A mild liquid soap, like Dawn, Shampoo, or liquid hand soap, is all that is needed. Your description reminds me of my friend's wife calling from her work, desperately asking how to remove the white frost from an LCD monitor screen after cleaning it with ammonia.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What did you use to wash it, ammonia?”

I actually used mild dish washing liquid. I’m just sick about this. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Certain plastics will turn white when exposed to ammonia.  Based off of your initial description, this was the first thing that came to mind. Another thought, was it in direct sunlight? The color change shouldn't affect its operational capability, though.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Certain plastics will turn white when exposed to ammonia."
When you said "plastics", it made me double-check what I initially wrote.   Oh-jeez

I should clarify.  It's the silicon cushion that turned pasty, not the mask itself.  Clear descriptions matter!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned a Resmed silicon cushion white by cleaning it in a baby's bottle steriliser. It didn't seem to harm it in any way, though I replaced it a couple of months later just because it looked gross.

I now just hand wash my cushions in warm soapy (dishwashing liquid) water and rinse before air-drying. I find the cushions late a year or more, though I have noticed other Resmed mask cushions are made from a different type of silicon - firmer and less pliable. I have no idea what works with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm. I wonder if the water was just too hot…?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about silicone, but many of the plastics used in mask manufacture are made with a low-temp recipe. This is usually in the areas, or the parts, where they attach to the silicone. The best rule-of-thumb is, if you can't comfortably put your hands in the water, then it's too hot.

A while back I tried to dry a P10 nasal pillow in the microwave. It's all plastic and silicone, right? I got a blob of something for my effort. I quickly learned that a microwave destroys P10 pillows as fast as they can destroy a CD or DVD.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.