Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Mirage Quattro Full-Face Mask
RE: Mirage Quattro Full-Face Mask
I would love to be able to wear this mask and heaven only knows how hard I've tried. The med. is a little too wide and the sm. is a little too short. Liners didn't help. Followed every instruction for fitting I could find and have not been able to control leaks into my eyes without turning the bridge of my nose into hamburger or at the outside corners without, again, over tightening. I just don't think I have a Resmed face as every Resmed mask I have tried hasn't fit. The search for a ffm mask continues...

Suz
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the problem I had as well. Constant leaking at the top that blew air into my eyes. I tried a hybrid at one point but couldn't stand the chapped lips.

I use nasal pillows. If I were a mouth breather, I'd have to use a chin strap. There's no way I could wear anything but nasal pillows.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Quattro IMO is without doubt the best mask on the market bar none. I have also the fx which can go in the bin for me as its useless. The mask is comfortable, leak free and as strong as they come as I stood on mine a few times. Problem is with declaring its the best is that there is always someone behind you which will dis everything you have said and hate the mask. Thats why there will never be a top 10 list of masks not unless you can find 100 people with identicle faces. You can do a list of the best sellers but again that could change depending on where you live. I have used the quattro since day one and I am now completely at ease with my mask so why would I change.

To me its the only mask and could never aquire a title of the best mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had heard about nasal pillows for the first time?? What type of pillows are they actually and what's the difference between normal pillows and nasal pillows???

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 06:42 AM)michaelevans Wrote: I had heard about nasal pillows for the first time?? What type of pillows are they actually and what's the difference between normal pillows and nasal pillows???

Nasal pillows are not pillows like you sleep on... rather, they are a type of CPAP mask that have small plastic inserts that look like headphone earbuds that slip directly into the nostrils.

Here's some pictures:

[Image: 11-l.jpg]

[Image: 02-l.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with nasal pillows and nose only masks is that they do nothing to address mouth breathing and that is a huge issue. They also have virtually variable leak rates making it almost impossible for your XPAP to maintain an even degree of positive airway pressure during the night. I can perhaps see using pillows or nosebags for sitting up and sleeping while watching television or reading but if I am going to bed (the best place to be sleeping in the first place) the only mask that I have found that will maintain a constant seal and leak rate is the full face mask and in particular the Quattro, with all due respect to those that use others. Without a constant for your XPAP to deal with in terms of leakage rate (and seal) there can be no efficient XPAP performance and therefore no efficiency in maintaining an open airway, the pathway to REM sleep and a good night of rest.

The idiots that developed nasal pillows should be drawn and quartered as far as I am concerned. The designers of the nasal only masks are thieving money grubbers as far as I am concerned. Spending some time in hospital on life support it occurs to me that at no time did they attempt to use nasal pillows nor nasal masks to maintain my breathing and there is a reason for that; they simply don't work well.

Anyone that feels otherwise is either ill informed or fooling themselves.

I sincerely hope that I have offended nobody in the making of this post and attest that no animals were harmed in the drawing up of its contents.

You want a properly operating XPAP system and relief of apnea conditions then you need to be thinking very seriously about full face masks; perhaps the Quattro in particular. The contraptions being used for the other types of masks are laughable... everything from beanies with velcro straps to keep one's mouth closed; to ductape; to people wearing underwear over their heads (seriously) to maintain a constant seal and leak rate. Sic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-well
(05-25-2012, 01:18 AM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 05:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Cleaning instructions should have been included with the user manuals.

Some use a mild dish detergent (not dishwasher) and warm water. Just swish them in the water or let soak, rinse very well, and let air dry.

Some use a vinegar and water solution and do a quick swish and rinse.

Others put the stuff in the dishwasher (not the mask parts, the humidifier). Just don't let the dishwasher do a heat dry.

They make CPAP wipes to clean the mask and stuff but I could never tolerate the smell.

I think Control II is overkill but works if a person is a germ fanatic.

Go to the website of your mask manufacturer to see if they have any videos or manuals you can view/download.

Control II is cheap insurance from one who spent three weeks on full life support with bacterial pneumonia - I am indeed a germ fanatic with only 65-70% lung capacity and Atrial Fibrillation.... a good bout of pneumonia today would kill me. Control II is cheap enough and I use FOUR masks and FOUR hoses and rotate them through the month using each for one week before putting it aside to let the germs breed.

I find that ANY odour will throw off my sleep. Control II is pretty much odour free. For cleaning I use one of the odourless detergent soaps and allow the masks and hoses to soak for a while (varies from 20 minutes to several hours). I use a long and soft bristled paintbrush (very plush and soft) to clean my gear... the Quattro is a pain to clean as one needs to get between two layers of silicone rubber and into the crevices. A quick swish around and then I rinse with PLENTY of warm water (sink drain open a bit and water running through everything). And use the paintbrush and plain water to make sure all the soap is gone and the bits and pieces are clean ... squeaky clean.

It sounds like overkill, I know, but in reality it is not a heap of work and only takes a short while to get everything done. I do the humidifier tank in the same manner. Takes a minute to do.

You can take it from one who has been on the edge of cliff that there is no light at the end of a tunnel. Only darkness. And if you are lucky you wake up and struggle for a few years to get your life back. Today marks the day, exactly three years ago, that the doctors asked my wife to unplug me and were refused. I was being kept alive by machines and was in lala land for three weeks. I was not expected to survive this bacterial pneumonia... I had taps and centrals all over me into my veins and arteries. I had my lungs mechanically suctioned to make room for some oxygen to be absorbed through the gunk in them. It was NOT a great experience. So I am a germ nut. I also buy odourless wipes to clean the mask each morning. A quick wipe and I know that I will have a clean mask when it is time for bed.

Once you get into the habit and get proficient at the cleaning routine it only takes a short while and you will rest easier and sleep better.

And if you are using a heated tank... try not to let it run dry. It tends to smell when that happens and a change in odour tends to arouse a sleeper.

Where can I buy this Control 2 and how much does it cost? Thanks.
albb

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2012, 03:59 AM)albb Wrote: Where can I buy this Control 2 and how much does it cost? Thanks.
albb
welcome to forum albb - Supplier #1 ................16 oz bottle concentrate $16.00
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Please remember when buying and using Control III germicide that one OUNCE is good for a gallon of water. I put about 2 ounces into a sink full of very warm water along with odorless soap and let everything soak for a while (anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours.... you should see the gunk floating on the top after 8 hours!) I bought a case of Control III online for $118 a few weeks ago and it will last me for about three or four YEARS. Like I said in my prior post, after a while spent on FULL life support (intubated with veinous and arterial taps up one arm across the chest and down the other arm) and having my lungs suctioned mechanically to save my life (at one point they asked my wife if they could unplug me. Sic.) I am left with 65% lung capacity. Biggest threats to me are shaking hands with people and what my APAP blows into my lungs at night. Either can produce a cold, flu, whatever and my chances for survival these days are compromised..... so I am just saying, right? Why take chances when for $20 - $25 a YEAR you can eliminate the bacterial threat from your mask, hose and tank, etc. I do not wash the cloth/velcro but once a year or so.... I shower and wash my hair each day so it really does not get dirty. I toss those into the wasing machine with my shirts and double rinse. All the rest goes into the sink in pieces (it all pops apart) as above.

The OP that can't get the ResMed Quattro to fit..... that saddens me. I can wear a medium no problem but have taken to wearing a LARGE because it is wider and sits on my fleshy cheeks, farther apart for stability. I learned this from wearing a holster on my belt and after about two years of experimenting the light bulb came on. The wider the holster the more stable it was. And if I ordered it "inside-out" (i.e. unfinished part on the outside of the holster) it was solid as a rock. Only took me 100 holsters to figure this out. Ditto with the masks/pillows. It only took me about 50 nosebags, pillows and full face masks to figure out a couple of things. First, the larger you can accomodate, the wider the fit on your face, the more stable it is going to be. This immediately took out the nosebags and the nasal pillows. The full face masks with forehead support is a plus. I am a 'face smoosher' and fight with my pillow at night, smooshing my face into the pillow often. The Quattro is the ONLY face mask, nosebag or pillows that give me a solid seal regardless. I'd love to discover an alternative full face mask. I will never go back to nosebags or nasal pillows as my nose gets congested by dust, weeds, etc. and I then mouth breathe. With a FFM it is no issue as you still get positive airway pressure and with APAP and exhalation relief the system will adjust to how you are breathing.

FWIW, just my personal two cents worth. There are, of course, folks that will never wear a FFM for personal reasons. I will never seal my mouth with a nosebag on.... I have a friend had his mouth taped, wound up vomiting during the night and could not get his mouth open in time and inhaled vomit .... and, regretably, died. True story. His name was Kleinberg and his wife and children have gone through life without him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the fx leaked like crazy. The quattro is better but no matter what I do, I get a red mark on the bridge of my nose. I also get a lot of leakage out of the sides. I have to overtighten the straps to eliminate the leaks and then I wake with lines all over my face. I also find that the vent blows right into my eyes. I have the small mask and feel as if I would do better with an extra small. I just got a flexfit with the foam insert and find that it's smaller size leaks less.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 657 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,010 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,298 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,590 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,814 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] F&P Vitera Full Face SarcasticDave94 7 6,231 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Mutineer
Thumbsup [Product Review] Resmed Air TOUCH F20 full-face mask Gooserider 13 5,795 01-01-2021, 05:27 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.