Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mirage Softgel
Mirage Softgel
I recently switched to a Mirage Softgel. After some tinkering I got it to fit well. All was great until the first time I took it apart to clean it. I seperated the cushion and the cushion clip. It took some fumbling around to get it back together what I thought was correctly. The first couple nights I used it something didn't feel right. I noted that the bottom of the cushion was leaking. Thought I fixed that when I discovered it was still leaking from the bottom. I tried reassembling it several times but to no avail. The leaking is from the bottom where there isn't a groove in the cushion to connect it to the cushion clip. What am I missing? Or is this a typical problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mirage Softgel
(10-14-2012, 04:09 PM)Masked Man Wrote: I tried reassembling it several times but to no avail. The leaking is from the bottom where there isn't a groove in the cushion to connect it to the cushion clip. What am I missing? Or is this a typical problem?
its the way the mask designed and should not leak from the bottom
the Activa LT cushion fit on the same frame ... slightly lighter and without the groove
[Image: 08-l.jpg]

make sure the clip properly inserted into the cushion and the three taps locks in place into the frame
you can adjust the straps and wind out the forehead dial if leaks at the bottom or wind in if leak at the top
its normal to leak from the vents holes at the center of the mask

Post Reply Post Reply
check mask assembled as shown here and no parts missing including the ports cap (item #9)
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

this Activa assembly might also help
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/multimed...50x300.swf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Masked Man
was the info provided any help at all
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Alas no. I looked closely at the material on the links. The conclusion I came to was that the cushion doesn't have a grove along the bottom to accept the cushion clip like the rest of the cushion. The lack of that groove allows the cushion to flex causing a gap and therefore a leak. The only way I could get it to stay sealed was to barely put any pressure on the lower part of the mask using either the strap tightness and/or by the dial. However as soon as I moved at all, it started to leak. Going back to the Comfortgel.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2012, 02:22 PM)Masked Man Wrote: Going back to the Comfortgel.
finding the right mask is the key to successful PAP therapy
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask, excluding the head the gear, the mask consists of only 3 pieces and does not have any clips. It is easy to assemble and disassemble and I can sleep on my back or sides with very little tweaking of the mask should it begin to leak after I have changed position. The machines data shows my leakage is a constant 8L per night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well my dme sent me an activa lt cushion which fits the same frame as the softgel. I wasn't sure if it would work for me because in the distant past I never could get this type of cushion to work. Last night I decided to try it out anyway. I couldn't believe it. No leaks at all no matter whether I was on my back or side!! I've never had any mask seal this well right out of the box. Amazing the progress they've made in mask technology over the last decade. I'll be very interest to see if this holds up over time or was just a fluke.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 04:09 PM)Masked Man Wrote: I recently switched to a Mirage Softgel. After some tinkering I got it to fit well. All was great until the first time I took it apart to clean it. I seperated the cushion and the cushion clip. It took some fumbling around to get it back together what I thought was correctly. The first couple nights I used it something didn't feel right. I noted that the bottom of the cushion was leaking. Thought I fixed that when I discovered it was still leaking from the bottom. I tried reassembling it several times but to no avail. The leaking is from the bottom where there isn't a groove in the cushion to connect it to the cushion clip. What am I missing? Or is this a typical problem?

I've had the exact same problem with mine. I noticed the missing edge on the mask and was sure that had to be a defect. It's not. It boggles my mind why they designed it that way. Air will leak where there is the least resistance. There is nothing to prevent air from escaping from the bottom. The SoftGel is useless. I'm back to using the Mirage LT but it won't stay on my face. I am constantly waking up to re-position the mask on my face. Part of the problem I find is that the headgear slides towards the top of my head. I haven't found a mask that is trouble-free yet. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 10:07 PM)Lukus Wrote: I've had the exact same problem with mine. I noticed the missing edge on the mask and was sure that had to be a defect. It's not. It boggles my mind why they designed it that way. Air will leak where there is the least resistance. There is nothing to prevent air from escaping from the bottom. The SoftGel is useless. I'm back to using the Mirage LT but it won't stay on my face. I am constantly waking up to re-position the mask on my face. Part of the problem I find is that the headgear slides towards the top of my head. I haven't found a mask that is trouble-free yet. Sad

The mask is by far the hardest part of the CPAP trip to come to grips with. I went through eight masks before I found one that works reasonably well for me, and I'm not unusual. There are dozens and dozens of makes and models out there, so just keep trying. It takes a lot of patience.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mirage FX Vs Eson 2 mask jblkiller 0 470 07-27-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: jblkiller
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 477 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  Mirage FX mask: Wide or Standard HappyCpappySmile 0 558 08-24-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: HappyCpappySmile
  [Equipment] Thinking about trying Mirage Liberty kingpin 5 1,032 06-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
Surprised Mirage Quatro Cushion cleaning Redorchid2404 7 869 04-12-2022, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed Mirage Liberty hybrid mask leaking prob. boondockbob 2 874 03-31-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  [CPAP] Mirage Activa LT mask discontinued. Xeraphax 6 2,766 02-09-2022, 12:51 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.