Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Misperceptions and Ignorance about Sleep Apnea
RE: Misperceptions and Ignorance about Sleep Apnea
(12-05-2014, 12:31 AM)kfujioka Wrote: However I am constantly "corrected" by doctors such as my ENT who said, "Kim the CPAP is bad for you." and "don't worry you can wean yourself off of it."

FIND
ANOTHER
DOCTOR

If an ENT, of all types of doctor, believes that, what else is he getting wrong?

Maybe he's old school, but so is bloodletting.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2014, 11:28 AM)archangle Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 12:31 AM)kfujioka Wrote: However I am constantly "corrected" by doctors such as my ENT who said, "Kim the CPAP is bad for you." and "don't worry you can wean yourself off of it."

FIND
ANOTHER
DOCTOR

If an ENT, of all types of doctor, believes that, what else is he getting wrong?

Maybe he's old school, but so is bloodletting.

Yes I agree.
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey kfujioka, I'm sorry to hear that you don't get the support you need at home from fiends, family, doctors, and the like. It makes it a bit harder to muster on when the people around you aren't supportive. I'm glad you found all of us, and we're happy to give you the support you need. Surrogate family and friends like us can be invaluable, I wish you all the best, and the best of health. Anyone who tells you this doesn't work needs to walk a mile in your shoes without it and then they'll understand. It's done wonders for me, and my family.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2014, 08:32 PM)Eurika Wrote: ...The 'I'm right' attitude because I am a highly educated person and I'm not prepared to listen to any other argument but my own, shows a distinct lack of common sense and open mindedness...

Agreed, and if I can expound on that point for a sec, it seems to me that the people who actually end up knowing what is knowable are the ones that don't front that they already know everything.

In my profession, and I have to assume that this extends to any profession, those who are most successful are not those that seem to know it all and never appear to be wrong, but the people who are not afraid to let everyone know that they do not yet know everything, and ask questions, and even question authority when it is appropriate. Those who don't agree usually end up hidebound and stale by their limited knowledge and are eventually unmasked as such.

In my own case, while I am not exactly a chimp, I know enough to know that I would never have ever learned very much if I was busy trying to not let anyone know that I didn't have every answer by pretending to be the guy who knows it all. Admitting you don't know and asking questions seems like a primary method to eventually knowing much more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Archangle too.
In your case an ENT that would insist that CPAP is harming you is a total doofus!

Run do not walk to another Doc!

Cheers!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 214 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 607 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.