Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Misplaced SD Card
RE: Misplaced SD Card
Geez, people, get it right.

I just put a 8 GB SDHC card into my PRS1 550 machine, recorded some data and read it correctly in SleepyHead.

There are basically 3 flavors of SD card.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

SD - up to 2 GB
SDHC - up to 32 GB
SDXC - up to 2 TB

SD and SDHC seem to work OK in Philips Respironics System One and ResMed S9 machines.

I think cards larger than 2 GB (or maybe 1 GB) will not give you any more data recording capability.

I haven't heard reports from people trying SDXC cards yet.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having now learned about the 2gb card, I can't figure out how to get it into my (new to me) S9. Duh!
frmike (newbie)
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day frmike - welcome to Apnea Board!

The card slot is on the back of the machine, just above the filter. If you got you machine new there should already be a card in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2014, 07:43 PM)frmike Wrote: Having now learned about the 2gb card, I can't figure out how to get it into my (new to me) S9. Duh!
frmike (newbie)
If you have a cellular modem on the back of the machine you'll have to remove it to access the SD Card slot. You can put it back once you insert the card.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 10:33 PM)archangle Wrote: Geez, people, get it right.

I just put a 8 GB SDHC card into my PRS1 550 machine, recorded some data and read it correctly in SleepyHead.

There are basically 3 flavors of SD card.

<<<clip>>>

SD - up to 2 GB
SDHC - up to 32 GB
SDXC - up to 2 TB

SD and SDHC seem to work OK in Philips Respironics System One and ResMed S9 machines.

Well, if we're gonna get it right.......

The blanket statement that SDHC cards will work OK in Respironics [disclaim any experience] and ResMed S9 machines [a lot of experience], is wrong, well, maybe not wrong, but not entirely right either. When I misplaced the original 1GB SD card, I tried for several weeks to get three different 4GB SDHC cards to work in the Resmed S9. Good quality Samsung and SanDisc cards. No dice. Had trouble finding plain old SD cards but ordered a few 2 GB SanDisc cards off Amazon. They worked perfectly.

Some newer S9s with newer firmware MAY run SDHC, but why go that route if you don't know or unless you already have the small capacity SDHC card to try in your sleep-deprived hands? Go safe and get the SD card that tops out at 2 G. 1 GB is really all you need for the CPAP machine, at least for the S9.

SDHC might work for some; SD will work for all.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 06:02 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Well, if we're gonna get it right.......

The blanket statement that SDHC cards will work OK in Respironics [disclaim any experience] and ResMed S9 machines [a lot of experience], is wrong, well, maybe not wrong, but not entirely right either. When I misplaced the original 1GB SD card, I tried for several weeks to get three different 4GB SDHC cards to work in the Resmed S9. Good quality Samsung and SanDisc cards. No dice. Had trouble finding plain old SD cards but ordered a few 2 GB SanDisc cards off Amazon. They worked perfectly.

Some newer S9s with newer firmware MAY run SDHC, but why go that route if you don't know or unless you already have the small capacity SDHC card to try in your sleep-deprived hands? Go safe and get the SD card that tops out at 2 G. 1 GB is really all you need for the CPAP machine, at least for the S9.

SDHC might work for some; SD will work for all.

OMyMyOHellYes

Thanks. You're the first person I've heard from who has tried more than one SDHC card and had it fail.

What's the software release and date on your S9?

Mine are SX474-0602 and SX474-0903. Both of them work with SDHC. SW number shows up on the info screen if you turn the knob. The second two numbers of the serial number are the manufacture year. Mine are 2011 and 2010.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
From ResMed: Therapy data card FAQs
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/sup...-faqs.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 06:06 PM)zonk Wrote: From ResMed: Therapy data card FAQs
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/sup...-faqs.html

Good find, Zonk!

I'll re-post it here, just in case the link goes bad:

Therapy data card FAQs

Got questions about device data cards, and what SD cards can be used with your device? Find the answers to your most frequently asked questions about device data here.

Q. Which SD cards can be used with S9™ therapy devices?

A. The SD (Secure Digital) cards we recommend are those supplied by ResMed with the S9 therapy device, or available as an accessory.

Q. Why do you recommend using only ResMed-supplied SD cards?

A. ResMed-supplied SD cards should be used in order to meet safety standards (e.g., IEC 60601-1). The electrical safety test authority has determined that S9 therapy devices that use SD cards need to have appropriate clearance from the accessible part of the card to the electronic parts inside the card. ResMed has selected several SD cards that meet the necessary safety requirement and supplies these with the therapy device or as accessories. Not all SD cards on the market meet the clearance requirement or have been tested and validated to work with S9 devices.

Q. How much storage does the S9 therapy device use on the SD card?

A. This varies depending on the size of the card. A 1GB SD card easily stores 365 days of usage data, 30 days of detailed data, and seven days of high-resolution data.

Q. Can I use miniSD or microSD cards with my S9?

A. No. While these SD cards, used with an adapter, would work with an S9, they have not been shown to meet the IEC 60601-1 medical electrical equipment safety requirements for this therapy device. As a result, ResMed recommends that they shouldn’t be used.

Q. Can I use SDHC, mini SDHC, micro SDHC, or SDXC cards with S9 therapy devices?

A. No. Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) cards, as well as mini and micro SDHC cards, and SDXC cards, do not work with S9 therapy devices.

Q. Which SD speed classes work with S9 therapy devices?

A. The SD Speed Class is marked on most SD cards. Class 2 has a guaranteed transfer speed of 2MB per second; Class 4 achieves 4MB; and Class 6 provides 6MB. Note that while S9 therapy devices will work with SD cards at these speeds, only ResMed-supplied SD cards should be used.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 09:48 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Q. Can I use SDHC, mini SDHC, micro SDHC, or SDXC cards with S9 therapy devices?

A. No. Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) cards, as well as mini and micro SDHC cards, and SDXC cards, do not work with S9 therapy devices.

Darn, they forgot to tell my 2010 and 2011 model S9 AutoSet machines and they work fine with SDHC cards as well as micro SDHC cards as well. Dozens of others have reported the same thing.

OMMOHY is the first person I've heard from on this board and cpapcough who has actually tried multiple SDHC cards and had them fail.

(07-21-2014, 09:48 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Q. Why do you recommend using only ResMed-supplied SD cards?

A. ResMed-supplied SD cards should be used in order to meet safety standards (e.g., IEC 60601-1). The electrical safety test authority has determined that S9 therapy devices that use SD cards need to have appropriate clearance from the accessible part of the card to the electronic parts inside the card. ResMed has selected several SD cards that meet the necessary safety requirement and supplies these with the therapy device or as accessories. Not all SD cards on the market meet the clearance requirement or have been tested and validated to work with S9 devices.

I used to do electrical safety and homologation work. Gee, it's been a long time since I've used that word.

The European safety standards are batstuff crazy. Think of the officiousness of the stereotypical German bureaucrat, the stuffiness of the English, the rudeness of the French, the efficiency of the Italian government, and the attention to detail of the Swiss all rolled into one.

Overdoing it in safety is a good thing in some cases, but often it's just silly.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Discovered granddaughter's hiding place. Misplaced SD card found.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 921 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,867 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  ResMed lost/misplaced SD card Liteheart1 7 2,165 02-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: mjphyi
  Downloading data to SD card of Resmed for nights that SD card not in ResMed machine Robert6 8 9,326 06-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: estgad
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.