Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Missing Time (no, it's not alien abduction!)
RE: Missing Time (no, it's not alien abduction!)
(12-17-2013, 09:20 PM)GeezerScouter Wrote: RockABye,

I've had my S9 Autoset for 4 days now (loaner). There have been two times I've woken up and realized that my S9 wasn't running. It is set to auto-start which means it also auto-stops.
Hi GeezerScouter, welcome to the forum
From S9 information guide http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf
Device does not start when you breathe into the mask

Problem/Possible cause: Breath is not deep enough to trigger SmartStart/Stop
Solution: Take a deep breath in and out through the mask

Problem/Possible cause: There is excessive leak
Solution: Adjust position of mask and headgear.
Air tubing not connected properly. Connect firmly at both ends.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 09:11 PM)RockABye Wrote: I am going to move the plug from the surge suppressor strip tonight and plug it directly into the outlet to see if that makes any difference.
If S9 usage is different than SH usage times, than the problem is to to do with SH

On the hand if both S9 and SH usage times are the same, wait until tomorrow download before blaming the aliens
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry - but I don't think you have properly ruled out the Alien hypothesis...

...but if you persist in going off on a tangent you could try tracking blower hours against the hours with data recorded. That would prove/disprove the DME's theory - which is wrong.

I had problems with aliens for the first few months I was on CPAP - I would wake up with my mask off and the machine shut down... but the data showed the flow disturbance for the time it took for the auto off to kick in.

I now use auto on but have the auto off disabled so that I get woken up by the air noise when the aliens pull my mask off.

Just remember - AHI stands for Alien Home Invasion....
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 06:42 AM)Moriarty Wrote: I now use auto on but have the auto off disabled so that I get woken up by the air noise when the aliens pull my mask off.
That's an option on the PR System One machines where Auto ON and Auto OFF are controlled independently.

On the Resmed S9 machines, however, the setting is Auto ON/OFF and you can't turn one on without turning both on. And the OP has a Resmed S9.

Post Reply Post Reply
What's weird, is I have those kind of graphs almost every day. I write down start, stop, and bio break times - and yet rescan will show gaps in a graph like the machine was off, even on single session days where I only went to sleep once, and never got up - trust me, if the flow stopped (like machine turned off) both I and my lovely wife would wake!

I just figured it was a glitch of some kind, as it's not every day, but it happens a lot on mine.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
quote='robysue' pid='52717' dateline='1387343919']
RockABye,

Those leaks are largish, but they're still well below the 24 L/min line. In other words, according to Resmed the machine should have no real problems compensating for leaks in that range.

Could you post the Flow Rate graph for us? We don't need the Respiratory Rate graph, the Mask Pressure graph or the Snore graph. Also could you show the Sessions data? That's at the bottom of the left side bar of the SleepyHead Daily Data page. You may have to scroll down to see it. The Sessions data includes time stamps for every time the machine was turned on and turned off.

It would also be useful if you could take another screen shot that shows a close up of the Flow Rate graph just before the big gap starts---a ten minute window would be about the right amount of data to show. I'd like to see the individual breaths just before that big gap. There's a lot of things that might potentially show up in that Flow Rate data.
[/quote]

Thinking-about
Just a short question that is probably too simple, but since I won't start with my ResMed AutoSelect until Friday, does "Usage" in Sleepy Head equate to "Compliance" data that's on the SD Card you send to your DME for insurance purposes.

How about "Sessions" data. For example, does Insurance and/or DME use Session or Usage data to make sure you're meeting compliance requirements,

If so, then insurance figures could be significantly downgraded.

Could one check in the machine's window and see if the compliance data is O.K. even though SH usage data is less than the time you actually put in?eeew
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 01:02 PM)drmick3 Wrote: Just a short question that is probably too simple, but since I won't start with my ResMed AutoSelect until Friday, does "Usage" in Sleepy Head equate to "Compliance" data that's on the SD Card you send to your DME for insurance purposes.
"Usage" in Sleepy Head seems to be "total time the machine was turned on"----at least that's true for the System One machines. "Usage" or "Therapy hours" in ResScan or Encore (the official software packages) are when the machine is turned on and breathing is detected. Under most normal circumstances, "total time the machine was turned on" will equal the "therapy hours" or they'll be within a few minutes of each other if you are regularly taking the mask off without turning the machine off to go to the bathroom for a few minutes each night.

"Blower hours" is the time the fan is actually blowing. "Blower time" obviously includes all the "Usage" time. It also includes the time the machine is ON, but no breathing is detected. And on the Resmeds, the fan continues to blow (at a very low speed) for several minutes after you turn the machine OFF as a way to try to dry out the inside of the hose, and this time too is recorded in "Blower hours". But the small amount time the fan continues to run after turning the Resmed S9 OFF does NOT show up in the SleepyHead "Usage" numbers since the machine is officially OFF even though its fan is still blowing.

The DME and insurance are going to determine compliance based on the data in ResScan not Sleepy Head. And ResScan is going to make a distinction between "blower hours"---i.e. when the machine is turned on and "usage (therapy hours)"---i.e. when the machine is turned on and breathing is detected. And it's the Rescan "usage (therapy hours)" that count towards compliance. This prevents a user from trying to meet compliance by just turning the machine on for four hours while they are NOT wearing the mask on their face.

The DME and insurance won't care one whit about how many sessions it takes to get up to four therapy hours in a given 24 hour period. And they're not going to look too closely at when those sessions with therapy hours are occurring. In other words, from the DME/insurance point of view, if you use the machine for 2 hours while watching TV in the middle of the afternoon and then for 2 more hours at the beginning of the night and then take the mask off and sleep for the rest of the night, that day's "compliance hours" have been met.

It would be useful for the OP to download ResScan and see what the data looks like in ResScan as well as SleepyHead.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add? If a user is making a sincere effort at compliance, racking up hours is cake. They are trying to not buy the machine for the folks that try it for a night or two, and then put it in the closet.

on a 30 day compliance report, you must have at least XX days with at least fours hours of usage. Some say 28 days, and one company I had demanded a full 30 day period within a 90 day window.

That said, I just opened rescan and ran a 30 day report (nothing selected) and it showed "median daily usage: 9:06". It's a non-issue for a hosehead that actually uses their machine.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing that may be helpful in determining if the machine is just not recording data or it is going on and off via alien intervention would be to enable a ramp time on start up. If the machine is just dropping data it would not show a ramp up to pressure at the beginning of where it's picking back up after a data gap but if the machine was turned off and then back on the ramp would show that. It sort of looks like there is a ramp up at about 12:50 on the EPAP line and nothing at 1:30 or 4:40. I'm on CPAP and have a ramp set for 5 minutes and it show the start up ramp in the pressure graph very clearly. I'm guessing that the EPAP has a ramp up function.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 12:18 AM)robysue Wrote: Could you post the Flow Rate graph for us? We don't need the Respiratory Rate graph, the Mask Pressure graph or the Snore graph.
[Image: Flowrategraph_zpsf8462b0f.jpg]

(12-18-2013, 12:18 AM)robysue Wrote: Also could you show the Sessions data? That's at the bottom of the left side bar of the SleepyHead Daily Data page. You may have to scroll down to see it. The Sessions data includes time stamps for every time the machine was turned on and turned off.
[Image: sessiongraph_zps58e274b4.jpg]

I didn't realize the Sessions data even existed until you told me about it! lol I have SO much to learn! Anyway, the only "off/on" that's legit in those sessions is the 07:36 to 07:39 bathroom break. Other than that, I didn't turn it off all night and never removed my mask until I got up in the morning at 9:15. The big gap from 2:42 to 4:37 is what really concerns me. BTW, I don't usually get to sleep past 6:30 because of my job--this is weekend data. lol

(12-18-2013, 12:18 AM)robysue Wrote: It would also be useful if you could take another screen shot that shows a close up of the Flow Rate graph just before the big gap starts---a ten minute window would be about the right amount of data to show. I'd like to see the individual breaths just before that big gap. There's a lot of things that might potentially show up in that Flow Rate data.
[Image: Flowrate10min_zps537d45bb.jpg]

Last night I changed the plugin so that it was plugged in directly to the wall to eliminate any problem with the surge suppressor/power strip. My data from last night still has big gaps in it. Something just isn't right! Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 5 56 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 997 8 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 177 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 267 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 297 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,962 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.