Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mistake setting pressure
Mistake setting pressure
Hi, I'm embarrassed to say that I was 'experimenting' a bit with my settings (wanted more air for my minimum pressure). I'll blame it on being tired, but I accidentally set my minimum and maximum pressure to be the same. So they were both set at 8 last night. I realized it in the morning and now have it set right for tonight. 

But here's my question: I had very few events, surprisingly. Would my AHI reading in Sleepyhead be accurate? Or because the pressure did not fluctuate was the machine not able to measure the number of events? 

My confusion on the matter is because I don't understand just how the machine determines when you have an event. Perhaps that's my real question. How does the machine know when you have an apnea event?

Thanks in advance - I'm sure many of you know the answer and now I will too.

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mistake setting pressure
You machine will detect events at a constant pressure. I ran mine at constant pressure for several weeks before I switched to auto mode. I saw more events at constant pressure than after the switch because the constant pressure was not adequate to prevent my OAs.

I would not take the values for one night too seriously, however, as values will fluctuate from night to night. You don't mention what your values were. Posting some data would help us evaluate your settings. See the links below for how to organize and post SleepyHead data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
you were using your machine as a fixed pressure cpap of 8 and had a good AHI. I see you normally run 7-12. it maybe the increase of 1cm was enough help with the OA/H you were getting. Do you sometimes get other nights where the auto pressure doesn't vary much and sits around 8-9?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
"Do you sometimes get other nights where the auto pressure doesn't vary much and sits around 8-9?"

No, my pressure for AHIs is in the 10-11 range. I was sleeping on my side and always take care in positioning my head to keep my airway open. I'm thinking that those two things pretty much eliminated the events last night. But I wasn't sure, hence I asked the question. But I know it was just one night and I will continue with the machine regardless of my good night basically without the machine. But if I'm ever without it I will remember to sleep on my side with my chin up (recovery position for CPR.)
Post Reply Post Reply
You could be close to that magical setting that gives you a great nights sleep every night. Leave it there for a few nights and see what happens. While APAP is the best solution for many, some people do very well on the correct constant pressure. You might be one of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I respectfully recommend you switch back to auto. id est -- set min and max press back to where it was before you set both pressures to the same value.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 10:34 PM)sleepytimegal Wrote: Hi, I'm embarrassed to say that I was 'experimenting' a bit with my settings (wanted more air for my minimum pressure). I'll blame it on being tired, but I accidentally set my minimum and maximum pressure to be the same. So they were both set at 8 last night. I realized it in the morning and now have it set right for tonight.

It's not a good idea to base results on one night, but if you are feeling like you need more air, then raising the pressure from 7 to 8cm is reasonable.

But here's my question: I had very few events, surprisingly. Would my AHI reading in Sleepyhead be accurate? Or because the pressure did not fluctuate was the machine not able to measure the number of events? 

I believe you can trust the results from #SleepyHead, although you did limit it's ability to raise the pressure if needed by setting 8-8.

My confusion on the matter is because I don't understand just how the machine determines when you have an event. Perhaps that's my real question. How does the machine know when you have an apnea event?

The Apap can tell when your airway is obstructed.  The machine may also raise pressure due to snores and flow limitations.  It will not raise pressure if you have a clear airway event. (Meaning the airway is open, but your brain is not sending a signal to breath.)

Thanks in advance - I'm sure many of you know the answer and now I will too.

It would really be helpful if you could post a screenshot, mabye one with the 8-8 setting, and one screenshot with the auto setting.  You can follow the tutorials in my signature line.

In the meantime, it won't hurt to try a setting of 8min and 12 max.  This raise by 1cm min pressure will help with the feeling of needing more air.

Sleepytimegal
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your thorough reply Opal Rose. I have my machine set to 8 - 12 now. No reason to not give it the option to go higher (based on one night). I feel things are going well now. I think my conclusion is this: just on that one particular night when I had my machine set at 8-8, sleeping on my side and maintaining my airway (chin up), worked to pretty much eliminate events. But I can't count on that to always be true. And as long as I'm using the machine anyway, there's no reason to limit what it is capable of doing. But it made me feel good that perhaps my apnea (although diagnosed as very severe - AHI 57) is more manageable than I thought. If I'm ever caught without electricity, maybe I can do alright without the machine for a day or two. Before I was worried about that happening and was considering getting a generator. I don't think I will now, but not sure.

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a generator. You need a sealed AGM deep cycle battery with a min rating of 35Ah. Also the Resmed 12V adapter and a trickle charger for the battery. The battery won't be light, but you need something with at least that much of a rating. You cannot run it with humidification or heated hose, or you will drain the battery in 6-7 hours to almost completely empty which would be very bad for the battery. Having a back up power source is good, but make sure you get the right kind of equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you think that keeping your chin up helps, then I'd try wearing a soft cervical collar to bed.  That will prevent any chin tucking.  You want it snug, but not tight : it should stay in place not not restrict your airway.  It has worked well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 149 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  Skipped therapy last night, big mistake tbhausen 4 462 01-02-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,997 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.