Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moderate Apnea---Almost No Sleep Each Nite
Moderate Apnea---Almost No Sleep Each Nite
Sleep test review, 7+ apneas & hypopneas per hour; Doc is prescribing Resmed AirSense 10; going for titration test next.  Will try to be really faithful to CPAP, and am thinking of getting an adjustable split king bed so I can sleep elevated while wife sleeps flat.

Doc said though assigned moderate, my snoring was constant & loud (5/5 rating), never really got restful sleep.  If asleep I was snoring. Think they were glad to see me leave!   She said I got 3.6 hrs of very poor sleep out of about 6 hrs in bed; never entered REM sleep, seemed to wake me up when trying to enter REM.  Restless legs constantly.  Urinating every 1 1/2 hrs.  O2 levels mostly in 90s, but dipped into 70s at times; only below 90 for 0.6% of time.

Sleep test was typical of a nights sleep for me.  If this does not work, have to do something as I am constantly going w/o meaningful sleep.  Not looking for sympathy, prob worse than me, any comments?  What abt adjustable bed?  Trying to hit this w/all the weapons I can muster.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moderate Apnea---Almost No Sleep Each Nite
I think once you get your Airsense and start treatment you'll find a lot of your concerns will melt away. Your getting probably the best machine made.

Things you can do in the mean time is download sleepyhead and read through the mask primer. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Once you've gotten your machine and used it go ahead and post a chart here for some input if you like.

Enjoy the new machine!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your situation and results sound exactly like mine, was mild to moderate on apneas, but could bring the house down with snoring that could be heard rooms and floors away, kept everyone awake including myself sometimes. Treatment has been a godsend, haven't snored (noticeably) with the machine on, ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sleep doctors don't like this advise: You could pick up the Autoset and self-titrate in about 2-days. It would save a bunch of money, time and an uncomfortable night in the clinic. Best of all you would be treated sooner. Ask for the script for the Airsense 10 Autoset and self-titration. It is very easy and results are better than the clinic unless you have unforeseen complications with complex apnea...even with that, they will still assign a CPAP. Self-titrate and if you have problems, see the doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They say no sign of central sleep apnea, so maybe I could self titrate.  Think it would blow their minds though, an maybe I could use the training as this is all new to me.  I was an engineer, so probably could figure it out OK.

Guess I'm a worry wart, but have been pursuing this problem for a few years now; thought it was prostate until recently when an honest urologist said definitely not prostate, no need to cut on you, go for sleep test.  However, nothing has worked so far, and I have a great fear this will not work either---then what?  I honestly think it has reached the stage that years are being removed from my lifespan.  I'm 80 yrs old; cant afford to lose many! Ha!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, any comments on using adjustable bed to raise trunk of body?  A friend had a bad snoring problem and it stopped it.  At this point I'm firing all the guns I have at the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the ability to download and install the free #Sleepyhead program on a PC, Laptop or Mac, then you will have all the tools you need to self-titrate. This does not cut the doctor out of the process.  You will need to follow-up with the doctor and discuss how you are feeling and convince him the CPAP therapy is effective and necessary. Your DME will likely monitor your usage compliance, and you must use the machine at least 4-hours per day in 21 of 30 consecutive days in the first 90 days of use to demonstrate compliance.  They will also see your AHI and prepare a report for your doctor.

Self-titration does not mean going it alone.  It means you will develop a more technical working knowledge of your therapy, work with your medical team and use data to optimize results.  Usually this results in better results and better compliance.  Your case is very simple and you're an excellent candidate with an engineering background to solve the problem through a series of simple experiments.  

You probably understand exactly what chemical titration is, and CPAP is no different.  You try a pressure and observe the results.  If obstructive apnea are present, you add pressure. You repeat this until obstructive apnea and hypopnea are absent in your results.  If centrals become prominent, you reduce pressure.  Check out this flow chart of the CPAP clinical titration protocol (click to enlarge).  Now this should let you discuss this procedure with your doctor confidently. With auto CPAP, your pressure is set to a range (minimum to maximum). The machine does most of the titration work automatically, but you will need to increase the minimum pressure to minimize the pressure swings and initiate therapy at a more effective pressure.

One last thing. You can schedule a titration evaluation, but request the CPAP prescription be filled immediately. This would allow you to start therapy and decide to either cancel clinical titration if things are going well, or keep the appointment if you need it. As you know, it will be several weeks for the appointment to be scheduled. You could be all done by the time it gets here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You won't need to raise the bed if your using your machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You did not state which Airsense you are getting.

ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)  (DO NOT GET THIS MACHINE)

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet [i](best choice)[/i] (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)   A much better machine and highly recommended.

Just wanted to make sure you are getting a good machine.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2018, 11:46 AM)Snorzz Wrote: Oh, any comments on using adjustable bed to raise trunk of body?  A friend had a bad snoring problem and it stopped it.  At this point I'm firing all the guns I have at the problem.

Use the CPAP first. It's unlikely you will need anything else.  Adjustable beds are expensive and the CPAP will resolve snoring without it. If you want an articulating bed for comfort or other reasons, fine, but not needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 104 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 153 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 274 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 155 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 322 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 226 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 403 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.