Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moderate Apnea
Moderate Apnea
Hi,
Due to often feeling tired during the day, despite a long night's sleep - and also being told that I often have difficulty exhaling while asleep - I recently did a sleep study. The consultant told me that I have moderate apnea - 15.3, but that a CPAP is not recommended unless the apnea is over 20. She suggested that I attend ENT consultant and I will do this. However, I am not confident that this will show anything up as I don't think I have any throat/ear/nose problems in general. She also said that I should get a sleep study done again in 5 years time as the likelihood is that this will get worse as I age. I am now 39 years old, and I really have no practical suggestions as to what to do. I do not want to continue feeling generally tired for the next 5 years! I am not overweight and am in good health overall. The apnea happens when I am on my back, and I am trying to ensure that I fall asleep on my side, but of course I do end up turning onto my back during the night. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I might try to deal with this problem?
Many thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moderate Apnea
(01-11-2016, 09:17 AM)eoinpat Wrote: Hi,
Due to often feeling tired during the day, despite a long night's sleep - and also being told that I often have difficulty exhaling while asleep - I recently did a sleep study. The consultant told me that I have moderate apnea - 15.3, but that a CPAP is not recommended unless the apnea is over 20. She suggested that I attend ENT consultant and I will do this. However, I am not confident that this will show anything up as I don't think I have any throat/ear/nose problems in general. She also said that I should get a sleep study done again in 5 years time as the likelihood is that this will get worse as I age. I am now 39 years old, and I really have no practical suggestions as to what to do. I do not want to continue feeling generally tired for the next 5 years! I am not overweight and am in good health overall. The apnea happens when I am on my back, and I am trying to ensure that I fall asleep on my side, but of course I do end up turning onto my back during the night. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I might try to deal with this problem?
Many thanks

OMG, what planet does this consultant come from? If your AHI is 15.3, multiply that by 8 assuming that is the average amount of hours you sleep and you stop breathing 122.4 times. Think of the stress on your body that is causing.

You definitely need treatment but before I go any further, I need to know where you live because when you said "the consultant", it sounded like you might be from the UK. I want to give the appropriate advise.

Yeah, I agree, consulting with an ENT would be a waste of time unless you have specific ENT issues like nasal obstruction that might warrant a consultation. But if you have an AHI of 15, you definitely need treatment, no question about it.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
The consultation took place in Belgium. It is a very recognized university hospital, and I think their standards are very good. Perhaps I misread/misunderstood the results?
If i quote directly from the report perhaps the results will mean more to you:

I know the language is different, but I think the terms are more or less the same as in English.

Under the heading 'Respiratory events':
Obstructief 1 (0,3)
Mixed 0 (0)
Centraal 0(0)
niet-gied 0(0)
Totale A. 1(0.3)
Hypopnoea 47 (14,9)
A +H 48 (15,3)[/b]
Limitation 0(0)
RERAs 0(0)
RDI 48 (15.3)

Thanks for any information you can advice. Perhaps I should just take my report and get a second opinion.
Much appreciate your help
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, there was a little mistake on the previous email (at A + H) - here are the results again:

Obstructief 1 (0,3)
Mixed 0 (0)
Centraal 0(0)
niet-gied 0(0)
Totale A. 1(0.3)
Hypopnoea 47 (14,9)
A +H 48 (15,3)
Limitation 0(0)
RERAs 0(0)
RDI 48 (15.3)

I am a UK expat living in Belgium for a couple of years, which is why the first port of call was to a Belgian centre. Perhaps I should have taken more account of the potential language difficulty, but usually there isn't a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 10:24 AM)eoinpat Wrote: The consultation took place in Belgium. It is a very recognized university hospital, and I think their standards are very good. Perhaps I misread/misunderstood the results?
If i quote directly from the report perhaps the results will mean more to you:

I know the language is different, but I think the terms are more or less the same as in English.

Obstructief 1 (0,3)
Mixed 0 (0)
Centraal 0(0)
niet-gied 0(0)
Totale A. 1(0.3)
Hypopnoea 47 (14,9)
A +H 48 (15,3)[/b]
Limitation 0(0)
RERAs 0(0)
RDI 48 (15.3)

Thanks for any information you can advice. Perhaps I should just take my report and get a second opinion.
Much appreciate your help

If you have the option to get another opinion, that would be the best choice since if they recommend a machine, you wouldn't have to pay full price, right?

If you wanted to buy a machine on your own, do you need a prescription from a doctor? In the US you do, so that is why I was asking.

In case you want to go this route, here is a link to the Cpap supplier lists.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

With supplies number two, you could get a lightly used on at a discount with I believe a 6 month warranty. I have heard great things about the company.

As to which machine to buy, I would look at this link to make sure you get a data capable machine that works with sleepyhead software which is free so you can monitor your therapy and set up the correct pressure with the help of this board.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

If you can afford it, is best to pick an autopap machine as it is easier with a pressure range to dial in on the correct therapy. But if all you can afford is a cpap machine on this list, not a big deal.

I realize this advice may be moot if you decide to seek a 2nd opinion but I did want to let you know this was an option. If you decide to purchase a machine and then need help optimizing your therapy, post again with all your questions.
And of course, if there is anything in my post that isn't clear,ask away.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much 49er for all the information. But do you think, first of all, from the results (do they make sense to you) that a machine will be necessary?
I really hadn't thought it would be.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have an AHI of 15.3 composed almost entirely of hypoapneas.
Total Hypos are 47 and the Hypo index is 14.9
Your total sleep time must have been just over 3 hours.

A hypoapnea is not a total flow stoppage. It's a flow reduction lasting at least 10 seconds.
It's possible in Belgium, A hypoapnea index of 14.9 is not considered for treatment.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Eoinpat, the 15.3 AHI is sufficient to raise concern you should be treated, and certainly CPAP pressure would resolve hypopnea easily. What should be the determining factor regarding treatment is you level of fatigue that you mention in your first post.

If you have a regular physician you see for your general health, he/she should be able to look at this test and with consideration of your fatigue and other medical conditions, write a prescription for auto CPAP. This would be enough for you to obtain equipment and supplies (mask) to start treatment. With that much hypopnea, I have little doubt that you'd benefit with feeling more energetic and you may avoid some complications of obstructive sleep disordered breathing.

It's really up to you. Insurance aside, you have to decide what your tolerance is to continue feeling run-down, and knowing that you have significant stress imposed on you due to moderate obstructive sleep disordered breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the issue here is whether the criteria for treating SA in Belgium is different than the US. It will be up to the OP to check into that, unless someone else here on apnea board knows.

There is no doubt that by US/Medicare and most insurance standards that he/she would qualify for cpap therapy.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I remember correctly, AHI of 5 to 15 is covered for CPAP in the presence of significant symptoms or co-morbidity is the US standard.... High BP, Diabetes, Obesity, Arrhythmia, excessive daytime sleepiness.,,, etc
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Moderate OSA - CPAP Therapy Review Sleepymcsleep 0 342 10-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Sleepymcsleep
  [Diagnosis] nocturnal hypoxemia with hypoventilation, Moderate OSA vgrando 43 3,412 07-01-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Diagnose with Mild to Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea. But Symptom is wrost. ketanerp 10 1,175 09-17-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: ketanerp
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,396 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Diagnosis help. Low AHI Moderate RDI from Lofta samspotting 1 592 07-14-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: samspotting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.