Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Moderate UARS about to start treatment
Apneaboard is all about patient empowerment. You have control...best wishes and good luck!

Keep us posted.

01-11-2016 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Geniale Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One Auto 60 Series
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 7-7 cm H2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: UARS

Sex: Female

So, I just met with the DME... prices are quite high. A one month trial is $120 (deductible from the purchase price of the machine) + the cost of the mask (about $300). The price of their cheapest CPAP was $1650. They wouldn't consider a bi-level as my prescription specifically says CPAP.

Needless to say I told them I'd think about it. I will most likely purchase online and see if it wouldn't be possible to have the adjustments done in the public sector since I have no idea where to start with all that and the fitting of a mask. I know there might be a wait list, but we're also trying to conceive and I was told it would be important to have and be comfortable with the CPAP prior to getting pregnant, and at the latest by the end of the first trimester... so, that might accelerate wait times.
01-12-2016 03:52 PM
pholynyk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 APAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: included
CPAP Pressure: 11-17

Other Comments:

Geniale, you haven't indicated which province you live in. Each one seems to handle CPAP devices differently. Perhaps we have someone here more familiar with your province's policies, who could give you more advice.
01-13-2016 12:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Geniale Offline

Preferred Members

(01-13-2016 12:35 AM)pholynyk Wrote:  Geniale, you haven't indicated which province you live in. Each one seems to handle CPAP devices differently. Perhaps we have someone here more familiar with your province's policies, who could give you more advice.

I am in Quebec.
01-13-2016 09:21 AM
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Welcome to the forum Genial! Not sure what type of machine you will end up deciding what to get. But I don't think you should have to pay for your rental or shall I call it a trial with a CPAP machine. They should loan it to you until you decide what is best for you. Preferably you choose where you'd like to buy from and get the loaner machine there.

Are you by any chance from Ontario? Because if so, there is a thread under the Commercial Posts section of the forum with vendors who are reasonable in the GTA and I'm sure they ship out also-possibly out of province. Here's the link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Ontario-Suppliers

Near the end of the thread is a discussion about CPAP Clinic. Might be of interest to you.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 10:13 AM by cate1898.)
01-13-2016 10:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Welcome Geniale,

I'm a severe UARS diagnosis (>50 events / hr) that barely fit the "standard" mild OSA definition (AHI = 6). A BiPAP will give you a better "spread" in inhalation vs. exhalation pressure and may be more comfortable, but getting the right pressure and a comfortable mask will likely be more important. I have a Resmed Autoset machine that only allows a difference of 3 between the inhalation pressure and exhalation pressure...not as nice, but I find you can adapt. My doc isn't about to let me change the machine, though...with the right pressure and mask, I've got the AHI down to practically 0.

As for the asthma question....no, as someone with both UARS and asthma, it doesn't seem to be related. That said, though, I do find that humidification is fairly important....if the airways get dried out due to therapy (i.e. run out of water, humidity settings too low), I do find I am a little more wheezy the next day.
01-13-2016 12:38 PM
Geniale Offline

Preferred Members

Thank you everyone! After some new development, I'm feeling much more optimistic and encouraged now!

I managed to get more info from a PSG tech my husband knows. How it works is they usually give a script for the pressure and type of machine, but for the rest, you have to go to a DME. However, one of her colleagues works 1 day a week for one and she says if you go in with your machine and your mask, they'll charge $75 for the instruction and set-up. Alternatively, you can go in with your machine and purchase the mask from them and they will do it for free. So, that seems like a very interesting alternative! Say I purchase the machine from Supplier #2 and the mask from them (if I can get an appointment with this tech, who my husband knows, there's a better chance that she'll be honest), I can be properly fitted and know what type/size mask is best suited for me, since this is my first time, I think if would be a good idea, even if it will be a little more expensive than online. All that will probably cost about 40% of what VitalAire was charging.
01-14-2016 12:07 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  xpap treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension- right ventricular dysfunction 0rangebear 0 119 11-12-2016 06:10 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Anyone with UARS here? JohnnyTenFingers 2 212 10-13-2016 03:48 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child keela1979 21 1,063 10-06-2016 05:09 AM
Last Post: archangle
  UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience? LB1982 11 452 09-30-2016 09:09 AM
Last Post: richb
  [Equipment] AirSense 10 smart start with nasal pillows Jacto 6 557 09-13-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment SleepySleeps 30 1,197 09-12-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: SleepySleeps
  Advice for getting treatment for a New Bee Millie 30 1,306 09-02-2016 09:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider