Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Modification to Reduce noise in Dreamstation from hose to mask
Modification to Reduce noise in Dreamstation from hose to mask
Hi all,
One thing that kept me a wake with using the dreamstation is the slight whine of the motor going up the tube into the mask. I love the easy breathing with the dreamstation but the noise bothered me. A few night I couldn't sleep with that dreaded slight whine noise. I am a very light sleeper and wear earplugs normally to block any noise I hear. When I wore earplugs with the dreamstation the earplugs just amplified this noise in my head.

A engineering friend had a look and said the noise is the whine of the motor going up the tube through the air up the tube and into the mask. What I needed to do was divert and disrupt the air flow which should cancell out most of the noise. We got a 330 ml plastic drinking bottle put the hose connection in the hole where you drink from, cut out a round hole 90 degrees on the side of the bottle and join another small hose to my mask (amara view I have so it has a hose lead anyway). Tried it and it worked at least 80% of the noise is gone. I also tried with small milk carton it worked also.
Took it recently to the sleep physician and he laughed, and he said if it works why not. He measured the pressure the other end and it only dropped from 9 cm to 8.5mm and he said we just readjust for the difference.
The only thing is you have the drink bottle in the bed with you, but it certaintly helped reduce the noise that kept me wake. At least the noise is a lot better and now its just trying to get use to CPAP.
I hope this helps someone else who may have a similar issue with noise going up a tube
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Modification to Reduce noise in Dreamstation from hose to mask
Hi stephennic,
Thanks for the tip, I hope it keeps working for you, and that it helps you get used to your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
In your profile you don't list a humidifier. If you are using the Dream Station without the humidifier that may be the problem. I have the same trouble on my PR 60 series if the humidifier isn't hooked up. Since I don't want heated humidification at the moment, I shut the humidifier and heated hose off but put water in the tank for "passover" humidification. This quiets the machine noise. I haven't tried running it without the water since I do want some humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2016, 02:24 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: In your profile you don't list a humidifier. If you are using the Dream Station without the humidifier that may be the problem. I have the same trouble on my PR 60 series if the humidifier isn't hooked up. Since I don't want heated humidification at the moment, I shut the humidifier and heated hose off but put water in the tank for "passover" humidification. This quiets the machine noise. I haven't tried running it without the water since I do want some humidity.
I do have the humidifier but have not been using the heated tube. I dont know why except I seem to sleep better with colder air. I had a dry mouth last night set it at 3 should I up it to 4. Thanks.
Also how do you post a photo of mod it goes to script prompt box ?
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Due to the file size restriction for posting pictures direct to the page you are better off using a photo hosting website, such as Photobucket or SmugMug, then copy and paste the image link from there in to your posts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope it is a small drinking bottle as the volume will change how the air column reacts to testing for central apneas. I do not know if this change will be enough to upset detecting the CA's. It will be interesting to find out. Just changing from a nasal mask to a FFM has to be changed in the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2016, 01:55 AM)PoolQ Wrote: I hope it is a small drinking bottle as the volume will change how the air column reacts to testing for central apneas. I do not know if this change will be enough to upset detecting the CA's. It will be interesting to find out. Just changing from a nasal mask to a FFM has to be changed in the settings.

Thanks for the feedback.
The sleep person didn't mention that, he measured the pressure at the machine at 9 and then at the end after the bottle at 8.6cm by the other end. he said we can just adjust it up to 9.5 and it should be fine. I did test a 1it bottle and I did notice a slight lag time to normal. I noticed some people put up to 8ft hose on their CPAP machine mine is only 6ft (1.8m). What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Steve
(07-30-2016, 01:34 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Due to the file size restriction for posting pictures direct to the page you are better off using a photo hosting website, such as Photobucket or SmugMug, then copy and paste the image link from there in to your posts.

It sounds a little complicated. In the past with other forums I could post a photo. Could I just attach a PDF or word document with the picture.
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your modification is disrupting the airflow, which is much different than using a longer hose. The swirl of air is going to affect the waveforms which is what dampens the noise. I would expect this to negatively impact the machine's ability to sense what is going on. Maintaining the pressure won't be the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2016, 01:25 PM)chill Wrote: Your modification is disrupting the airflow, which is much different than using a longer hose. The swirl of air is going to affect the waveforms which is what dampens the noise. I would expect this to negatively impact the machine's ability to sense what is going on. Maintaining the pressure won't be the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
I checked it with the sleep physician (SP) and they put a machine on it to check and it seemed very responsive to my breathing. I seem to get similar (AHI) results to when I started without the modification. The modification did reduce the noise but was still a little noisy in the silence of night. It still kept me awake. Even the SP noted it seemed the dreamstation seem noiser than usual. I nearly gave up but they were willing to give me another Dreamstation to try. This one seems a bit quiteter so will give it a try.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Not saying it will be a problem, just keep an eye on it

Think about what the machine sees and what it is trying to figure out. It only sees the end of the tube and has to identify apneas, by type. It does this with pressure pulses and is trying to figure out if there is:

A. a tube, a mask, and lungs (central)OR
B. a tube, and a mask (obstructive)

in your case it will now see a bottle, a tube, a mask and then maybe lungs. This will "look" different and react differently to the pressure pulses. I would think that if you had a large enough bottle, the machine would lose the ability to detect central apneas because the volume of the bottle would look like the same volume of lungs.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,263 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 338 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.