Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moisture feel on nose
Moisture feel on nose
New to Cpap, it’s been going pretty well.  I would like some advice on what I can do regarding a feeling of moisture on my nose that is causing discomfort while asleep. I often have to wake up, remove mask and wipe the outside of my nose nostrils.
I currently use the ResMed Airfit N20 nasal mask, no heated hose, humidity (tried none to 4).  Regardless of humidifier setting, I am still getting a moisture feel particularly on the side of my nostrils.  From the research I’ve done, I don’t believe I am getting rainout, as I don’t see any condensation water drops in the mask or in my hose.  I’ve tried no humidifier, up to humidity of 4, all the same moisture on nose feel.  
Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moisture feel on nose
Well if you turn off the humidifier and still got the moisture on nose then it is exhaled moisture, means your own exhaled breath is condensing before it can reach the mask's exhalation port, well i guess your using Nasal Mask the only solution i can think of is a full face mask with exhalation port on mask itself not on elbow where hose connects
Post Reply Post Reply
Nick -- you said "no humidifier". Does that mean it was off, -- but maybe there was still water in the chamber? Try with empty chamber or no chamber if you haven't already.
Maybe try a heated hose. I love mine.
Maybe try the next largest nose cushion.
There seems to be a lot of trial and error in this cpap world.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity turned off with no water in chamber.  
I already tried to use larger size cushion but can’t get a good seal.  
Will a heated hose really help with what seems to be my exhalation condensation in my nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2022, 12:35 PM)Nick123 Wrote: Humidity turned off with no water in chamber.  
I already tried to use larger size cushion but can’t get a good seal.  
Will a heated hose really help with what seems to be my exhalation condensation in my nasal mask?
No it won't help, the only solution is a full face mask where the exhalation port is on the mask itself
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this same issue with the n20 and the brevida nasal pillows.  I don't have this issue with the dreamware nasal cushion, dreamwisp (although it makes my nose red Sad ), or most other masks that I've tried.  The n20 seems like it would be the perfect mask for me but I've yet to make it a whole night without a drop of moisture on my nose.

I've tried lowering humidity, increasing hose temp, and adding a hose cover.
Post Reply Post Reply
My original thought was maybe you picked up some water from the chamber, but since it was empty, that's not likely.
I've had water in the nose piece and it wakes me up. I've turned the tube temp up one degree, problem solved. Other times I've had to turn the humidity level down to solve the issue. It's so much trial and error. But I've always used a heated tube. I don't know what else to try other than a different mask as suggested.
Keep in mind, I have lung issues, you probably push out a lot more air than I do. Some days, I don't have enough power to blow my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2022, 01:11 PM)fishfinderG Wrote: I have this same issue with the n20 and the brevida nasal pillows.  I don't have this issue with the dreamware nasal cushion, dreamwisp (although it makes my nose red Sad ), or most other masks that I've tried.  The n20 seems like it would be the perfect mask for me but I've yet to make it a whole night without a drop of moisture on my nose.

I've tried lowering humidity, increasing hose temp, and adding a hose cover.

I also really like the N20 mask, but this moisture condensation issue will wake me up at least two times a night to remove and wipe my nose.
I contacted my DME and since I am within 30 days, they are giving me the option of getting another mask.  I do only have this one free courtesy mask change, anything after that will have to be out of my pocket.
 I NEED SUGGESTIONS please!  I am a side sleeper and I don’t want to worry about whatever mask I choose leaking.  
THANKS
Post Reply Post Reply
Dreamware Nasal Cushion is my favorite nasal mask as a very active side sleeper. I don't have any moisture issues and I have 0 leaks if I tape my mouth.

I was pursuing the n20 since I do sometimes have issues with the Dreamware Nasal Cushion nose holes getting partially out of alignment with my nostrils which makes it feel more difficult to breathe, but it's a minor issue and not one that prevents me from successfully using the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.