Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Monitoring actual waking
Monitoring actual waking
The issue with apnea is that we are awakened during sleep by them, but we fall back to sleep and don't remember them and so without a sleep study we don't realize we have an apnea problem, excepting being tired.

The machines through inferred back pressure flag apneas and we monitor these. 

However, what monitoring devices or sets ups are there to directly measure actual awakenings during the night. The ultimate objective is not to be waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Monitoring actual waking
(04-06-2017, 06:07 PM)sleepy1235 Wrote: However, what monitoring devices or sets ups are there to directly measure actual awakenings during the night. The ultimate objective is not to be waking up.

As far as I know the only sensors that can decide unequivocally that you are awake or asleep involve electrodes pasted to your scalp and connected via multiple wires to an EEG machine.   Generally only available in hospitals.

Your CPAP or APAP machine can monitor your breathing but has no way of telling if you are awake.  In general the lower your AHI gets the less likely you are to have awakenings.  Some machines monitor RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousals) as well as apneas and hypopneas.  These give you more information, but I don't know how accurate they are so far as the RERA's are concerned.

But I don't think there is anything that you or I can afford that can do better than to guess your sleep/wake status.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 187 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 232 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 133 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 359 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 412 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 214 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 470 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.