Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Monitoring data wirelessly
RE: Monitoring data wirelessly
The FlashAir only emits its handshake protocol once per bootup and is not a bidirectional handshake. The FlashAir broadcasts itself on bootup without verifying if any device is listening. This means that if your Wi-Fi access point's power drops or fluctuates and drops the connection, it will not be automatically reestablished like other wireless devices that you use. The FlashAir doesn't have this reconnection logic built in. If it has been working and just started this, I would look at your Wi-Fi access device. I have a pile of flaky Netgear Wi-Fi routers and their power supplies that, after some age on them, would start to shut down. It seems to be due to overheating caused by the power supply not being able to supply the required voltage and/or amps.

Good Luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, sometimes I'll randomly have to reboot my router (or more often my range extender because I swear I live in a Faraday cage and my room is a literal dead zone for signals, be they router or cellphone). Sometimes just popping out the card and popping it back in will fix it. If not, then I reboot the range extender, if not, I reboot the router AND range extender. That usually fixes it eventually. But someone standing in my doorway between the router and my CPAP is enough to make the signal too bad to connect reliably. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:14 AM)RayBee Wrote: Maybe a little more info is needed. I have a stick-built Sheetrock home, 35’ away, thru 2 walls and a fair bunch of household items in between. And the signal is solid.

Is your house vintage with lath and plaster and chicken wire walls or Sheetrock? Metal or wood studs? And what is the distance from Toshiba WiFi to your home router? Through how many walls and through what kind of stuff? Do you have insulation in the home with aluminum skin?

I have the 64 card, what is yours?

Edit:
Ok, just looked back through some of your journey on this issue. It looks like some of the stuff I'm asking for have already been answered. And maybe some of the other things are a moot point. Maybe you were just lucky and got a flaky card. It looks like you have done everything I would have, but still have drop-outs. Sorry to hear, if it is just a bad SD Card.

House is only 15 yrs old. The extender is about 30' or so away from the machine. I have a Toshiba Flash Air III Wireless SD Memory Card 16GB, the one everyone recommended when I started this thread. What is the exact make and model of your card? Maybe need to test out a new one and see if that makes the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is a W04, 64GB card. The 64GB card presented problems all unto itself given its size. I would prepare it on my laptop and the ResMed machine would immediately reformat it with 32GB and throw away the second half. Along with the reformat it would trash all the Toshiba files that makes its WiFi work.

I had this working a while ago in APPMODE=4 but this MO was a PIA. Ran it this way for 6 months or so. The PIA part is that I would have to switch my laptop's network to the card then use FlashPAP, then switch the laptop back to my normal WiFi. That part was OK. But our two iPhones and two iPads would always latch onto the Toshiba's WiFi as their first connection choice and we would have to manually change back to the house WiFi continuously. The Laptops allow you to set a hierarchy of WiFi's but the iOS devices don't have that functionality.

After putting up with this shenanigans for six months or so, I tried unsuccessfully to use APPMODE=5. I tried countless configurations over six weeks or more with no success. ResMed would immediately reformat the card every time without fail. I didn't want to go back to APPMODE=4, so I threw in the towel and abandoned the whole idea. Can't spend any more time on this expecting different results without conceding that I am truly insane.

I don't think the 64GB model (probably all of the FlashAir's now) is available for purchase other than on the used market for extortion prices. Don't buy a 64GB card. Borrow if you can. Buy - no. I'm still waiting for a viable solution but not holding my breath. (Bad pun intended with my complex apnea)
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a passing thought. After formatting it to the 64 GB with Wi-Fi, use the free version of Parted Magic (Linux) and resize the partition down to 32 GB using GParted. I tried it, and it worked on a 16 GB FlashAir. Of course, I went down to 8 GB for the test.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting idea. Thanks Red.
I'll have to play around with doing that.
Is there much difference with the different partition managers for Mac. Some are free, some have a little fee.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:10 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The FlashAir only emits its handshake protocol once per bootup and is not a bidirectional handshake.  The FlashAir broadcasts itself on bootup without verifying if any device is listening.   This means that if your Wi-Fi access point's power drops or fluctuates and drops the connection, it will not be automatically reestablished like other wireless devices that you use.  The FlashAir doesn't have this reconnection logic built in.  If it has been working and just started this, I would look at your Wi-Fi access device.  I have a pile of flaky Netgear Wi-Fi routers and their power supplies that, after some age on them, would start to shut down.  It seems to be due to overheating caused by the power supply not being able to supply the required voltage and/or amps.

Good Luck!
- Red

Actually no, the FlashAir card has been intermittently dropping since I got it. Should I try another wireless card then?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 12:37 PM)Ratchick Wrote: Yeah, sometimes I'll randomly have to reboot my router (or more often my range extender because I swear I live in a Faraday cage and my room is a literal dead zone for signals, be they router or cellphone). Sometimes just popping out the card and popping it back in will fix it. If not, then I reboot the range extender, if not, I reboot the router AND range extender. That usually fixes it eventually. But someone standing in my doorway between the router and my CPAP is enough to make the signal too bad to connect reliably. LOL

What card are you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:01 PM)RayBee Wrote: Mine is a W04, 64GB card. The 64GB card presented problems all unto itself given its size. I would prepare it on my laptop and the ResMed machine would immediately reformat it with 32GB and throw away the second half. Along with the reformat it would trash all the Toshiba files that makes its WiFi work.

I had this working a while ago in APPMODE=4 but this MO was a PIA. Ran it this way for 6 months or so. The PIA part is that I would have to switch my laptop's network to the card then use FlashPAP, then switch the laptop back to my normal WiFi. That part was OK. But our two iPhones and two iPads would always latch onto the Toshiba's WiFi as their first connection choice and we would have to manually change back to the house WiFi continuously. The Laptops allow you to set a hierarchy of WiFi's but the iOS devices don't have that functionality.

After putting up with this shenanigans for six months or so, I tried unsuccessfully to use APPMODE=5. I tried countless configurations over six weeks or more with no success. ResMed would immediately reformat the card every time without fail. I didn't want to go back to APPMODE=4, so I threw in the towel and abandoned the whole idea. Can't spend any more time on this expecting different results without conceding that I am truly insane.

I don't think the 64GB model (probably all of the FlashAir's now) is available for purchase other than on the used market for extortion prices. Don't buy a 64GB card. Borrow if you can. Buy - no. I'm still waiting for a viable solution but not holding my breath. (Bad pun intended with my complex apnea)

Wow, such a hassle with these cards Sad . Makes the whole point of wireless data transfer moot since it only works intermittently. Thumbs-down-1
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm trying to think of inexpensive ways to test whether it's the FlashAir or the access point. Is your computer closer to the access point compared to your CPAP? If so, inserting the FlashAir in the computer's SD slot will cause the FlashAir to connect to your network. Leave it in the computer during the day. Periodically check it to see if it is still connected to your network.

That's about the best I can think of for now.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 3 286 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Intermittent use of C-PAP machine and OSCAR monitoring Thanassis 6 331 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Thanassis
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 345 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,709 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  Import OSCAR data wirelessly LikeaGlove90 0 566 11-14-2023, 01:13 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
  Changed data directory from OneDrive, Now can't read data Rich66 9 1,111 08-24-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Can OSCAR download data wirelessly clownbell 5 3,333 04-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: TennisTom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.