Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Monitoring data wirelessly
RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - OSCAR Wi-Fi
I was advised to post my question to this thread instead, by the wiki editor.
OSCAR software proposed addition
For devices that already have built in Wi-Fi  like my Dreamstation would it be possible to add the facility to download the data via Wi-Fi similar to how the Android Dreammapper app does it?
That would alleviate having to purchase a special card / hardware or keep removing the SD-card. Obviously you would leave the SD-card option for those devices that do not have Wi-Fi.
Any chance Wi-Fi transfer could be added to OSCAR?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Monitoring data wirelessly - OSCAR Wi-Fi
(12-20-2020, 11:23 AM)Toob Wrote: I was advised to post my question to this thread instead, by the wiki editor.
OSCAR software proposed addition
For devices that already have built in Wi-Fi  like my Dreamstation would it be possible to add the facility to download the data via Wi-Fi similar to how the Android Dreammapper app does it?
That would alleviate having to purchase a special card / hardware or keep removing the SD-card. Obviously you would leave the SD-card option for those devices that do not have Wi-Fi.
Any chance Wi-Fi transfer could be added to OSCAR?
Thanks

Possible? Perhaps.
Probably? No.

Respironics has not published any mechanisms or protocols for wirelessly transferring its data. And given it doesn't transfer detail data to Dreammapper or any enduser device the answer is no.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Monitoring data wirelessly
Your idea is a good one but with some major pitfalls along the way.   The CPAP's Wi-Fi data bandwidth isn't large enough to allow for the transmission of the high resolution data that is contained on the SD card.  In fact, in order for the CPAP to collect the high resolution data, that OSCAR uses for analysis reporting, the CPAP requires an SD card to be present.  Without the SD card present during the CPAP's operation, only summary data is stored.  

In the past few years the alternative for wireless data transfer involved a Toshiba FlashAir wireless SD card.   A couple of our members developed free download software to use with the FlashAir to acquire the data.  Unfortunately, Toshiba has divested itself of this division and the new owners have ceased manufacture of this product.  If you can find a FlashAir currently, the prices have become astronomical and no longer a viable option.   The Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card is the only other card that showed any promise for our needs has been out of production longer than the FlashAir. There are several other current providers of Wi-Fi SD cards on the market but their firmware is hardcoded to only allow for image files (.jpeg, .png, .raw) and music files.  Additionally, their IP addressing convention is severely restricted.  I for one, have been trying to find a way to access these SD card's code without success.  Trying to contact the manufacturers has been unsuccessful.  I would welcome anyone's help on this venture.

I hope I have answered your question.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be clunky, but too bad there isn't a way make an interface to the SD Card port on our machines to a Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or other similar device. Then it could interface wirelessly to a WiFi network or Bluetooth and stream the data to OSCAR.

Above my pay grade, but I can dream that it may be a possibility.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
As said before, the only way would be to bring the SD Card over to the Parpbeyy Pi or Arduino, which then easily could transmit the data to your PC. 
Although, I think it would be easier to put the card directly in your pc ...  Oh-jeez

On second thought... Isn't there anybody (who knows someone) who could make a hardware interface cable connecting a Pi to a CPAP, using the SC card slot? I.e. an SD-to-USB cable...???
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2020, 12:53 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your idea is a good one but with some major pitfalls along the way.   The CPAP's Wi-Fi data bandwidth isn't large enough to allow for the transmission of the high resolution data that is contained on the SD card.  In fact, in order for the CPAP to collect the high resolution data, that OSCAR uses for analysis reporting, the CPAP requires an SD card to be present.  Without the SD card present during the CPAP's operation, only summary data is stored.  

In the past few years the alternative for wireless data transfer involved a Toshiba FlashAir wireless SD card.   A couple of our members developed free download software to use with the FlashAir to acquire the data.  Unfortunately, Toshiba has divested itself of this division and the new owners have ceased manufacture of this product.  If you can find a FlashAir currently, the prices have become astronomical and no longer a viable option.   The Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card is the only other card that showed any promise for our needs has been out of production longer than the FlashAir. There are several other current providers of Wi-Fi SD cards on the market but their firmware is hardcoded to only allow for image files (.jpeg, .png, .raw) and music files.  Additionally, their IP addressing convention is severely restricted.  I for one, have been trying to find a way to access these SD card's code without success.  Trying to contact the manufacturers has been unsuccessful.  I would welcome anyone's help on this venture.

I hope I have answered your question.

Hi & thanks for the reply, however I have to disagree...

You mention high resolution data however I do not see the large amounts of data you speak about.
For each sleep period it creates 3 ASCII files that average around a total of 150KB which is nothing. Even allowing for several device resets during the sleep period the amount of data bandwidth is minimal and well within Bluetooth's capability, even if you left it a month between downloads.
I have successfully downloaded and decoded the data which I see is being used in OSCAR and it's predecessor. Looking at the OSCAR code I can see that it creates the graphs and reports locally so graphical data is not being passed between the CPAP machine and OSCAR, only small files averaging only 3 files per night. (if the user does not switch the service off and back on during the same sleep period)
Also the data that needs to be downloaded is only that that has not already been synced since the last download, it not as if you would need to transmit all the historical data on each sync.
On my tests Bluetooth transmits all the required data in around 15 to 20 seconds, not allowing for Bluetooth to start on the receiving device, should it be off.
Also the Dreammapper Android app is using the same files that OSCAR is using to create it's charts from. My point being there is not any other data that needs to be downloaded to create what I see in OSCAR than what Dreammapper is using to create it's reporting. The OSCAR charts and reports are all generated locally from those same small encrypted files of around 150KB per sleep period. And as Dreammapper is successfully sending those files over Bluetooth, bandwidth obviously is not going to be an issue.
Assuming you are a coder on the OSCAR project is only a matter of renaming the Android Dreammapper app .apk file from .apk to .zip to be able to see what Dreammapper is doing to make contact with the Dreamstation device over Bluetooth or a network sniffer.
As far as I can see there is no reason why Bluetooth integration could not be written into OSCAR, it certainly would overcome many of the issues I have read about with data transfer as well as making it much easier for the end user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Essentially true, so stick with Dreammapper if you do not recognize the difference...
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2020, 02:15 PM)A KLERK Wrote: Essentially true, so stick with Dreammapper if you do not recognize the difference...

You've missed the point. Dreammapper does not have charts unlike OSCAR. That is why I was suggesting adding the advantages of bluetooth from dreammapper into OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, no charts in Dreammapper when you just use Bluetooth, would mean the same in OSCAR...
If that fits you, just use Dreammapper. If you want charts, you need all data that is on the SD card...
And these are not transmitted over Bluetooth, hence the small footprint...
Now clear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Stated differently: if your AHI is ok and you feel like a king in the morning, Dreemmapper suits you..
But if you feel bad and want to know what's going on during the night you need a professional program, like Encore Pro or Basic. Here is when OSCAR comes in view... These programs use all the data available. That's why the doctor asks for your card when it comes so far, after having seen your online alarming data...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 72 9 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Intermittent use of C-PAP machine and OSCAR monitoring Thanassis 6 240 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Thanassis
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 289 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,628 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  Import OSCAR data wirelessly LikeaGlove90 0 541 11-14-2023, 01:13 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
  Changed data directory from OneDrive, Now can't read data Rich66 9 1,023 08-24-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Can OSCAR download data wirelessly clownbell 5 3,235 04-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: TennisTom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.