Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Monitoring need for treatment
Monitoring need for treatment
Hi all,

I just took my sleep test in September, diagnosed with an AHI of 16. They gave me an AirSense 10 with the pressure set to 5-20. With the machine my AHI averages 1.41 with a pressure of 6.6 for the last 30 days.

A week or two before my test I started a diet and have since lost 15lbs. In about another 10lbs I'lll be down to a healthy BMI. 

While I know weight isn't the only cause of sleep apnea, is there a metric I can monitor or adjustments I can make as I lose weight to gauge how much I'm really benefiting from the machine?

My guess is average pressure is an indicator which does seem to be going down.

Thanks for any info.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Monitoring need for treatment
Losing weight will result most of the time with lower pressures required. But you'll reach a point where it levels off and weight loss won't reduce the pressure any more.
At least that's what I've experienced.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 55 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 282 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 198 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,025 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 583 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.