Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Monitoring oxygen saturation?
Monitoring oxygen saturation?
Hi. I am looking for help. I have mostly central sleep apnea with a bit of obstructive as well. While my numbers are good, according to the machine, I continue to feel that I'm not getting enough air at times during the night because I wake up with headaches and feeling very foggy.

I can't quite figure out what kind of 02 sat monitor i can use with my machine. It's an Aircurve 10 ASV.  Can anyone help?

I am having a difficult time at the moment, including cognitive issues due to headaches and poor sleep, so I cannot wade through much technical material. I would be really grateful to just be pointed toward an 02 Sat monitor product that would work with my machine so i can see if the 02 saturation is better than what it feels like to me. I want a device that will record it all night long so I will know if there are times that it significantly drops.

Many thanks,
Midge
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation?
Hi Midge82 - Welcome

While Resmed does make an oximeter, it usually proves too costly for most people.  For this reason many of us use one of the Contec CMS-50 models. The "F" and "I" models are the preferred units with the D+(plus) model coming in third.  The reason for this is the F and I models strap on like a watch and employ a finger probe.  The D+ model is an all-in-one unit that is somewhat bulky and can require special attention to keep it on during a sleep session.  All the unit's data can be viewed with SpO2 Assistant software, provided by the manufacturer or imported into #SleepyHead.   #SleepyHead allows a direct import or a file import together or separate from your CPAP's data.

I hope I've provided the answer you are seeking.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Midge82,

The ResMed O2 monitor is very expensive at something over $1,000. There's a brand called Contec that makes a 50 series monitor, available on Amazon and other places that's highly recommended. It typically does integrate with Sleepyhead charts, and should be available for well under $100.

Others likely have more specific Contec info than I do on the best selection.

PS Crimson Nape beat my post, including more details on Contec.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had a question on oxygen levels, my sleep doctor loaned me a monitor for overnight use. It wasn't compatible with Sleepyhead but he read the results and said I was OK oxygen-wise. My DME also had one I could have borrowed.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the difference between the F and I models?
Post Reply Post Reply
The F model only stores one session and will overwrite the previous session everytime you start the record option. The I model, depending on session length, can store up to 15 individual sessions. The I model also records and reports "Perfusion Index". It sounds neat but I haven't found much use for it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the contec that goes on the wrist with a lead. In the meantime if you get some sleepyhead charts up, if the setting and tidal volume, minute vent is ok, you shouldn't be having desaturations.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2019, 07:54 PM)ajack Wrote: I have the contec that goes on the wrist with a lead. In the meantime if you get some sleepyhead charts up, if the  setting and tidal volume, minute vent is ok, you shouldn't be having desaturations.

Which model of Contec do you use?

Can you explain your comment above "If the  setting and tidal volume, minute vent is ok, you shouldn't be having desaturations."

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to look it up, I forgot that it was a 50f "CONTEC CMS50F. There is also a bluetooth 50fw that I haven't looked at.

As to desaturations, I was referring to his ASV machine, Even with 0.00 there can be setting issues causing a low tidal volume during a CA event, that the machine is designed to correct.

But your resmed apap can do a very similar job of keeping the OA/H low with minimal desaturations. You can also follow the tidal volume chart, to see where it dips to below a number you are happy with. I like to have very few and for a short duration below Tv 2-300 of air per breath, or I would try another CM of min pressure. I just had a look at your chart on your thread, I think your leaks are the main issue and what you need to work on, possibly even a change of masks to a full face. You may need another cm of min pressure later. To see how that goes.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ox saturation and CPAP therapy dandan1978 3 138 03-12-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 615 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 343 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 504 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,034 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 396 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.