Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Monthly rental cost of CPAP exceeds the retail cost of the device
Monthly rental cost of CPAP exceeds the retail cost of the device
I'm set up for an appointment with the DME next week. They said that based on my insurance, there will be a "rent to own" program of 10-13 months, at about $125/mo. The cost of the Resmed A10 Autoset is only $883, which means that the monthly costs of the device will far exceed the actual MSRP of the product. 

I know I still need to meet the deductible and then I am responsible for 10% co-insurance, but why should my insurance carrier have to eat the cost of the charges above and beyond the value of the device? Ultimately, those overage charges end up as the collective patients' responsibilities as part of increased premiums.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Monthly rental cost of CPAP exceeds the retail cost of the device
I hate to say it, but welcome to the system.

What do you want to do, go through the system pr purchase on your own?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm leasing my CPAP machine / accessories. I have insurance. I'm paying $9.08 per month and my insurance picks up the rest. I don't have any idea as to the actual full lease cost.

I started on Sept. 10th, 2018, and it will become mine on Oct. 10th, 2019.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2019, 06:40 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm leasing my CPAP machine / accessories. I have insurance. I'm paying $9.08 per month and my insurance picks up the rest. I don't have any idea as to the actual full lease cost.

I started on Sept. 10th, 2018, and it will become mine on Oct. 10th, 2019.

This is interesting. Have you met your deductible already? Perhaps that's why your monthly payments are so low?
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your insurer and verify they will REQUIRE rental. Many companies will pay off the machine once the compliance period is satisfied in less than 90 days. The 13 month lease maximizes profits for the DME and ensures your deductibles apply in two calendar years. Your insurance may allow direct sale, or a shorter rental period before ownership. Alternatively, your insurance may allow you to buy "out-of-network". Typically the copay is a larger percentage of your cost. If you costs are significantly lower for a direct sale, you may be better off taking the out of network reimbursement. The DME seeks to maximize profit, and structuring the sale as a 13 month lease works for them. You have to be the one to find out if it's best for you.

As you know, you can get that machine for $625 from Supplier #33. You have to decide what works best for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2019, 06:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: I hate to say it, but welcome to the system.

What do you want to do, go through the system pr purchase on your own?

Lol, thanks. Ultimately, I think it still makes fiscal sense to go through the system. 

Current deductible met: $0/$700

If we take a conservative estimate of $100/mo for the CPAP and supplies (originally they told me $125/mo), I'll reach my deductible in 7 months. 

If we assume the program ends in 10 months, I'll pay $10/mo for the next 3 months, for a total of $730 for an $883 machine. 

If they make me go 13 months, then I'll have paid $760. 

Obviously, my insurance will have paid more (at 10 months lease, they will have paid $270, and at 13 months lease, they'll have paid $540). Combined with my expenditures, this exceeds the cost of the machine.

If it wasn't for the fact that it was is my first machine and I would appreciate hands-on guidance with it, I'd go with an online DME, just so it's one more person not supporting exploitative pricing. 

The one other benefit of meeting my deductible is that other items will be cheaper, I suppose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Download SleepyHead/OSCAR and we will be happy to help you through your journey in any way you wish.  From helping you to frame your conservation with your doctor to assisting you with understanding what is going on including the adjustment of your settings.
My signature contains a number of links to help you along the way
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2019, 07:18 PM)bonjour Wrote: Download SleepyHead/OSCAR and we will be happy to help you through your journey in any way you wish.  From helping you to frame your conservation with your doctor to assisting you with understanding what is going on including the adjustment of your settings.
My signature contains a number of links to help you along the way

I appreciate it! I plan on getting the software once my machine comes in next week! They've confirmed that it's going to be a new one, but I read the wiki and will be prepared to check the clinician menu to confirm hours used!
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you read my post #5? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid287352
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2019, 07:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Call your insurer and verify they will REQUIRE rental.  Many companies will pay off the machine once the compliance period is satisfied in less than 90 days. The 13 month lease maximizes profits for the DME and ensures your deductibles apply in two calendar years.  Your insurance may allow direct sale, or a shorter rental period before ownership.  Alternatively, your insurance may allow you to buy "out-of-network". Typically the copay is a larger percentage of your cost.  If you costs are significantly lower for a direct sale, you may be better off taking the out of network reimbursement.  The DME seeks to maximize profit, and structuring the sale as a 13 month lease works for them. You have to be the one to find out if it's best for you.  

As you know, you can get that machine for $625 from Supplier #33.  You have to decide what works best for you.

I didn't even see this reply until just now! Thank you for that info! 

I am going to call my insurance back and ask them what they're planning on doing. I do recall from a prior conversation that the insurance rep said "we don't the the complete terms of what you'll be paying until we get the billing from the DME," so there's still hope that there aren't any shenanigans going on. 

I think mathematically it makes sense to pay off the $700 deductible so that future expenses this year would only cost me 10%. The $625 price is excellent, though! How are they so much cheaper than anyone else?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,037 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 364 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 355 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice pamphlet 7 896 09-16-2023, 02:10 AM
Last Post: pamphlet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.