Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More Newbie questions: how is too high for mask leak?
More Newbie questions: how is too high for mask leak?
I keep getting notifications that my mask is leaking 6 Lpm or 4Lpm.  Yet, I have the green smiley face...  how high is too high?  Anybody?

Also, I am using a nasal mask, chin strap, and even tape sometimes for the dry mouth -- a full face mask would make more sense, right?  I tried three...first one killed the bridge of my nose, second one leaked so badly....shooting air up into my eyes, etc.  Third one was the best...under the nose full face by DreamWear...but it still leaked!  I guess my lower jaw is a bit narrow and receeding and the minute I fell asleeppp.....lllleeeaaaak!  Argh!  And the back strap was awful....being a woman, I have hair.  Lots of hair.  Hair all tangled up in the  blinkin' strap....Argh!

So... back to the under the nose nasal mask.    So, how much leak is too much?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More Newbie questions: how is too high for mask leak?
I believe 24 L/m is the upper threshold for Resmed machines.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, OK.  I'm doing alright then.   Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 10:15 AM)Palmtrees Wrote: Oh, OK.  I'm doing alright then.   Thanks!

Yep. Nothing to worry about there.  Well-done
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
In this scenario, I'd agree with upsman. ResMed uses 24 L/m as it's leak redline. Above that, the leaks hinder the machine from adjusting pressure accurately for occuring events.

FWIW that ResMed smiley or frowny face will drive you crazy. There's a probable method to ResMed's madness for determining whether the smiley or frowny shows, but at times it seems arbitrary to me. Personally, I'd stick with the OSCAR chart for accuracy. You say you've seen reported 4-6 L/m, if it hovers there that should be OK. Obviously less is better, maybe focus on a different aspect for now such as comfort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As the others have said the leak level that the Resmed is happy with is anything less than 24 L/M but you won’t get the red frown face for leaks until your leaks are over the 24 l/m red line for 30% of the time
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 02:25 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: As the others have said the leak level that the Resmed is happy with is anything less than 24 L/M but you won’t get the red frown face for leaks until your leaks are over the 24 l/m red line for 30% of the time

The 30% of the time must be the trigger for a frown face. 

I've had leaks as high as 42 L/M and still no frown face.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks... was just wondering.  I have a brick...so I'm thinking that the smiley face/frowny face is not something to rely on too much.  I did download OSCAR and it happily told me that I have a brick!  LOL! 
Working on getting something better.  First have to check with doc, get prescription, fight with DME, etc.  Learning the ins and outs.  Medicare.  Fairly new for me as I started on it recently.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.