Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More Z-1 bits: hours
More Z-1 bits: hours
My little infatuation with learning about the Z-1 continues ...

I was wondering how you look at total blower hour history on the unit.

Nowhere to be found in available documentation.

So I call them. Get to tech support. Ask "How would somebody find the total number of hours on a machine?"

The guy replies "That's an interesting question. I don't think anybody has ever asked that. Hold on. I'll ask somebody else. I'm back. We don't think you can."

"You're kidding me. That would seem to be a very important thing to have, sort of like having an odometer on your car so you can track things for maintenance."

"Well, maybe it's there and we could get it but we just don't know about it, but a patient probably couldn't get it."

"You guys are the folks that designed and marketed this machine, right??? At least tell me what version of the firmware is most current."

"Um, I don't know. I think it was sometime in June of last year."

Hmmmmmm.........

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More Z-1 bits: hours
To run such a low power machine, don't look for all the bells and whistles you find on the big boy CPAPs.
The Z-1 cannot be much more than a blower, a pressure sensor; and a rather simple controller to maintain pressure.
I doubt that it even has a flow sensor.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 10:31 AM)justMongo Wrote: The Z-1 cannot be much more than a blower, a pressure sensor; and a rather simple controller to maintain pressure.
I doubt that it even has a flow sensor.

I don't consider total run time a "bell and/or whistle". That's just basic functionality.

And these are not cheap little machines - little yes, cheap no: The price of the Auto unit rivals the price of a new S-10 AutoSet. And significantly exceeds that of the Respironics 560 Auto. Cost of the CPAP model is $75 less than a ResMed S-9 Elite CPAP and a smidgen more than a Respironics 60 Series Pro CPAP.

And the Z-1 is at least a limited (maybe more) data capable machine that tracks compliance (and thus usage time), pressure and leak data (and thus, I am speculating a flow sensor). At the very least. I do not know about AHI or other events yet. It hooks into the PC for download via a standard mini USB. One other thing it has going for it is the ability for the user to upgrade the firmware in the field. The "big boys" don't do that. Maybe a firmware patch could provide a non-volatile lock down of total blower hours, or if the data is already there, to display it. I know that they did change the pressure relief parameters with the last firmware update.

The Z-1 Auto appears fully data capable. Heck, it has some better reporting functions than the "big boys" - it is bluetooth compatible and syncs wirelessly to iPhone or iPad and can even be controlled via the phone/pad app. According to the HDM propaganda.

I just found it a little unnerving that it would lack such a common, basic feature as run time reporting, especially since the time monitoring is already built in for compliance reporting. And a little bit moreso at the lack of authoritative knowledge on the part of tech support. I will however, give them a thumbs up for at least having tech support a patient can talk to. I don't know if the "big boys" do do that.

OMM

Post Reply Post Reply
Keep posting about the z1.

I've got a transcend I use as a backup in the truck.

I'm watching the z1 to learn.
(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply
OMM,

I don't think it's expensive because it's particularly hi tech and feature laden, it's expensive because of the niche market it serves. If you need a tiny machine you'll figure out a way to pay for it Smile

You can control the Z1A from the app but I really don't see the need to do that but I suppose that it's easier than remembering the button presses you need to use the machine.

I will travel with nothing else but my Z1A.

The Android and Desktop software is coming for it but I've not heard when yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 03:00 AM)truckerdad57 Wrote: Keep posting about the z1.

I've got a transcend I use as a backup in the truck.

I'm watching the z1 to learn.
Truckerdad, what do you want to know about the Z1? I've got lots of hours on one.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 08:02 PM)bill-e Wrote: I don't think it's expensive because it's particularly hi tech and feature laden, it's expensive because of the niche market it serves. If you need a tiny machine you'll figure out a way to pay for it Smile

I fully get that, and I was not saying that it's features should rival those of the S9 or the 560. In the portable CPAP/APAP world, I fully expect to forgo some things. Maybe some reporting functionality. And humidification. And heated tubes (I'm not sold on that concept anyhow). And silent running.

But at that same price points as the top-tier tabletop machines, you should be able to expect the same BASIC functionality. And the ability to determine how much a given machine has been used is very, very basic. Especially when the machine already has time recording functionality.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
OMM,
I agree, I'd like to see more data available from the Z1 and I'm sure it's there, just not available to us for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently received a Z-1 Auto for traveling. The first night was a bit miserable as it was pre-set in auto 4-10. Well my normal pressure setting is 13 using a P&R Remstar Pro Sys 1. I finally figured out how to change the settings by requesting the clinician's manual from this website. I reset them to 8-17, which seems to work well for me. But the noise through the Resmed Swift FX was so noisy (the blower is also noisy but I placed it near the floor well below the bed level, which made it almost completely quiet). Last night I placed the water container from an F&P HC150 stand-alone humidifier in-line from the Z-1 and it almost completely quieted the noise. Now how will this effect the auto function of the Z-1? I left a message with the manufacturer of the Z-1 concerning the unit but no one has returned my call (also tried their chat feature on their website but no one responded to that either). Apparently the manufacturer is not very customer friendly.

I am looking forward to using the Z-1 while traveling, as a wildland firefighter. Many times I'm in very remote areas living in a tent without electricity, other than occasionally a vehicle or a battery pack. A couple of years ago I ruined a P&R Remstar while in Montana with low 20 degree temperatures and having a rain-out condition with condensation water backing into the blower from the tubing. I had to have my spare sent overnight as I cannot sleep without a CPAP. I've had many interesting experiences using a CPAP the past 5 years in near wilderness conditions all over the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lakeranger, welcome to the forum. I bet your use of CPAP outdoors would be very interesting to hear, and I hope you'll be able to share. Hope the Z-1 works out for you. The Z-1 has a reputation of being noisy because it uses a smaller fan that spins up at higher speeds.

I hope you find a small lightweight container that an work for passover humidity. The old Respironics M-series humidifiers had a self-contained water chamber that could easily be modified to fit a hose from your Z-1 and then deliver to your mask. The bottom metal plate could be placed on a warm surface to provide more moisture. The replacement chamber like this is only $25 from Supplier #1 (see list at top of page).

[Image: humidifier-chamber-respironics-m-series-...003758.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 385 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 319 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 528 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 312 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 516 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 473 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Consistently Waking Up After 3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 557 01-11-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.