Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More leaks? Less AHI? New mask..help?
More leaks? Less AHI? New mask..help?
Long story short. Started PAP on a Airsense p10(?) (the common nasal pillow). It was fine but it 1) irritated my nostrils/dried them out 2) the headgear is AWFUL. bad adjustments/horrible clips for sizing that fall out at night...just super ill fiting (very bad design imho)

So recently I got a new mask to try (a fit pack) Evora Nasal pillow. Its 10x more comfrotable..my nose irritation is gone. AND my stats are better the last 2 days. However,

1) It seems like my leak rate is up? Is this bad?

2) Why would a higher leak rate lead to a lower AHI? Is it cause its causing errors in sesning AHIs?

3) TBH the mask FEELS like its leaking more. If I lay on my side sometimes i have to move a bit to get it to not feel like the seal is broken, and the vent sems to vent/blow much harder than the airsense mask. Maybe thats by design and not technically a leak? This is just my laymans feelings but it just feels like theres more air coming from the mask around my face if i put my hand near it than there is with the airsense. I might just be imagining it  - im not expert.

Tuesday - Thursday (Airsense)
https://imgur.com/kWbi3Az
https://imgur.com/1YYglW4
https://imgur.com/FhQRWR9

Friday-Sat (Evora)

https://imgur.com/YnRttxX
https://imgur.com/Kombi5M

Really i just want to be sure this comfortable mask is ok for therapy before i order a 3 months supply (this is a fit back with just the 3 sizes. I tried the large (ust for fit not over night and it felt like it leaked more)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More leaks? Less AHI? New mask..help?
Your OSCAR fell off. Try again with attaching one. Yes it can happen, if leaks are high the machine cannot keep up to treat, and they it seems the events went down. But if the leaks are very high it can't possibly sense events.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone? I fixed the links.

I need to make a decision on my resupply soon so any help would be appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
The leak rate would be too high for me with either mask. The displayed AHI is similar in all. As I recall AHI was under 2 for all 5. So you still have leaks to fix IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any leak is a problem with therapy BUT most people have them and IMO yours are something to work on but not worry about. You had a few above the large leak but nothing to worry about. Just try to adjust and work on it. If need be try a different size. You don’t have to buy the complete mask only the part that goes over or in your nose.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2021, 06:31 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The leak rate would be too high for me with either mask. The displayed AHI is similar in all. As I recall AHI was under 2 for all 5. So you still have leaks to fix IMO.

I am sorry I don't understand what you wrote. My AHI is low so ... I have leaks to fix? I thought low AHI was good??
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2021, 06:47 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Any leak is a problem with therapy BUT most people have them and IMO yours are something to work on but not worry about. You had a few above the large leak but nothing to worry about. Just try to adjust and work on it. If need be try a different size. You don’t have to buy the complete mask only the part that goes over or in your nose.

Can you help me understand this better? You are saying leaks is a problem and mine are problematic but not hugely so?

How would i fix this? The other mask with less leakage is uncomfortable so i wouldnt want to wear it.

Is my therapy working or not? .2 AHI seems to me to be insanely good? Yet my leaks are high? Which is right???

Ill need to order my 3 month resupply soon which means I need to let them know which pillows and headset i want.... 

Are these not working? do i need to go full mask?!?

I dont understand if my AHI is almost 0 how do the leaks matter? what are they doing? how do i fix them? are these masks bad?
Post Reply Post Reply
I commented that the AHI was low in those charts. The good part of your therapy I was highlighting.

You still have leaks that are borderline high enough you need to address them. The negative part of your therapy I was highlighting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks are not all or nothing. Any leak compromises how well the machine works. I have had many nights with 0 AHI and felt terrible the next day. I woke up numerous times in the night with leaks. 

How dos the machine detect apnea?  By the air not flowing freely it is an apnea. So if your mask is leaking a high amount the machine would not encounter resistance so it would not show apnea. 

Yours are not large and you are doing well but WE ALL need to watch our leaks and try to stop all we can. So yes your (and mine) are problematic.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2021, 08:40 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I commented that the AHI was low in those charts. The good part of your therapy I was highlighting.

You still have leaks that are borderline high enough you need to address them. The negative part of your therapy I was highlighting.

Gotcha. My question is then... If my ahi is so low... Why do the leaks matter? If they aren't letting RERAS through then does the leak matter?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 136 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.