Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More leaks? Less AHI? New mask..help?
RE: More leaks? Less AHI? New mask..help?
Sarcastic I got my Vitera and tried it last night. The full mask was actualy more comfortable than I thought ! It seemed sealed well and was excited to try it... however... 2 hours in I was woken up by like what I can only describe as constantly farting from my mask. It went from like a nice seal to like no seal. I kept adjusting it trying to get a seal but eventually i had to just toss it away and reconnect my nasal pillow. 

Did  I do something wrong? What would cause this? lol =/
Post Reply Post Reply
https://imgur.com/1nUzZYJ

Dat 90/s leak for 10 minutes at 5 AM tho .. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
OK you've got the Vitera, congrats. Now let's review how to adjust it according to what I've found to work for me.

Do not make any strap tight, the looser it is the better.

Lie back on the bed as if you're going to bed.
Mask up with all straps loose.
Start PAP at regular settings, not using mask fit.
Starting at the bottom set, tighten so that it just pulls in just a bit at the bottom, chin area. As in the cushion has a slight amount of tension, chin area.
Ditto top set. The plastic bar should not touch you.
OK so far?
Top of the head facial height strap, undo velcro for this one, now do not undo the other 4 straps, just lift the mask straight up off your face and re-settle a bit lower closer to chin and settle it in place. Then cinch that top of head one.
Wiggle it a bit. Pay very particular attention to the nasal bridge area. This is where it's going to leak before anywhere else.
OK how's it doing there? Any leaks? No, go for as night's test drive.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ill try again tonight. Any idea as to why it woke me up 3 hours into the night to start farting and constantly breaking its seal? It was the most assinine thing ive ever experience because when i went to bed it was perfect.
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess would be it got bumped or something like that. However, once you get this to work, you'll notice the bellows folds on the silicone. That's RollFit and it should allow movement and maintain seal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ya I could see how it could get moved and in the wrong position.

The ridiculous thing was I got up and i re-oriented it and legit couldnt stop it from farting out air no matter what i did. 

It almost felt like how rainout feels in a nasal pillow when it gets bad? but there was no rainout.

it suckkkkked lol , i threw it on the ground and pluged in the pillow lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing happened. Full face mask might just not be for me. Go to bed and its fine, wake up 2 hours later and its farting in my face and no adjust i make stops it.

to be honest this strains my understanding of physics and reality. i dont get how it can be fine and then not fine 2 hours later lol =/
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be because of increasing pressure. Put up a nights Oscar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
its all fine till liek 5AM then the mask farting begins lol

https://imgur.com/hDd0AYC
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks to me all was well until almost 5:30 - 6 your pressures are going up and as it gets around 14 - 15 you have a blow out. You need to set your machine to Cpap 15 and adjust your mask for that pressure, laying down as you would when asleep. 
Once you get it adjusted so it will not leak at the higher pressure- change the settings back to normal. That should help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.