Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More than sleep apnea
RE: More than sleep apnea
(08-10-2014, 05:16 PM)storywizard Wrote:
(08-10-2014, 05:08 PM)Galactus Wrote: You didn't get this way in a few weeks, and you are not going to get better in a few weeks. It does take some time for the vast majority, and in the interim you have to focus on the positives, even if they are small positives, one small step a step at a time and sooner or later you feel much better and don't even realize it. hang in there because throwing it all in the trash will just insure you're not getting better.

throwing it all in the trash was not me...:-) That was Bill P...

I understand about the gradual thing, I am 64, been this way half my life...its going to be a long haul I understand that...I am trying a few different therapies that complement CPAP...one day at a time...

thanks for the support..

Story

Apologies, wasn't really directing at you specifically was just really an overall comment. I'm 6 months in myself. Been losing weight and on cpap have struggled with it too. Recently was at the nutritionist talking about weight loss and the fact that I am annoyed I haven't lost more weight in the time with diet and exercise and all that. She is on the other hand quite happy with my progress and my A1C and yadda yadda, but me being a results orientated person was complaining. At one point I guess she got let's just say perturbed at me and said "So, you aren't happy because you aren't losing the weight fast enough so what now? Go back to eating the way you were and gaining more weight or put back on the 65+ you have lost so far? Or focus on the positive effects so far and the positive losses so far?" At the time it annoyed me, but the more I considered it the more I realized she did have somewhat of a point, and as I thought it over more and more I realized she was right. It took me some time to get fat, and it's going to take me some time to get skinnier, just have to suffer through. For me it's hard mentally in the sense that I quit smoking 5 packs a day cold turkey. I loved to smoke, I was never addicted. I quit when it started affecting my health. the same way I started, I just stopped. And there were immediate results, and I could tell I succeeded because I never smoked again. All this cpap and losing weight is not like that. I can't stop eating, and I can't stop breathing, so it grates on me, and I'm sure others. We live in a world of very almost instant gratification and we expect this treatment to work RIGHT NOW or we get flustered, and I can relate. So again my apologies, just was trying to get across the point that time is our friend here, let it take the time and do it right. Best of luck!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, looking at the table, it looks pretty good so far except for the apparent flyer on 8/9. It looked like the increase to 10 was having the desired effect. We can not tell from the table if the CAs are Sleep/Wake Junk or something else. Keep working with it. It looks like you are on the right track. The CAs are weird but may just be temporary. It would be helpful if you could upload Sleepyhead charts from a bad night.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No need to apologize..:-)

Thanks for your story, I hope to lose weight too, patience is everything it seems...

all the best,

Story
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's any consolation, I'd be very happy if I had your reading from my system. I tend to discount centrals since I know they can be created by things that don't really pertain to apnea. I'm sure mine are created by me swallowing or just being awake and perhaps holding my breath while turning over or something equally mundane. Pay them no mind and focus on those other great numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2014, 05:38 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually, looking at the table, it looks pretty good so far except for the apparent flyer on 8/9. It looked like the increase to 10 was having the desired effect. We can not tell from the table if the CAs are Sleep/Wake Junk or something else. Keep working with it. It looks like you are on the right track. The CAs are weird but may just be temporary. It would be helpful if you could upload Sleepyhead charts from a bad night.

What charts would be useful here??

Story

Post Reply Post Reply
OMG, I was misreading the data in Sleepy Head...

Last night:
CA = 64
H= 14
OA = 7
Periodic = 10

http://www.mediafire.com/view/w571v2v3pq...0Rate.jpg#

The readings I had put in a table in my previous post were those on top of the pie chart, not sure what they mean...anyway, last night...
Pie Chart
http://www.mediafire.com/view/2r92uk6r6qwg8l7/Pie.jpg#

I am no longer sure that the CAs are really CAs...seems I am just not sleeping deeply, sure feels that way...

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 02:55 PM)storywizard Wrote: I am no longer sure that the CAs are really CAs...seems I am just not sleeping deeply, sure feels that way...

Storywizard

Which kind of makes me think the CA's are a problem.

Sometimes CA's go up a little when a pressure increase is made, then go back down in a day or so. In your case a pressure increase of 1 was made Wednesday? I'm thinking they should have settled down by now if that's the issue.

You're seeing your doc this week so explore this with him. Take your Sleepyhead reports with you to show him. Be ready for him to diss them, because they do that sometimes. But the visual of the CA's should catch his attention.

In the end, you may need to go to a different machine, one that works better with CA's, but it's probably too soon to make that call.

Let us know what the Doc says.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seeing the sleep tech on Thursday, going to have the small sleep test, you wear a clamp on the finger that reads oxygen levels and apneas...I guess I will do that for two nights. I don't have a sleep doctor, should I have one??

Lousy night last night:
AHI 13.41
CA 71
H 14
OA 4
PB 14

But I am committed to finishing this trial period, will see where I need to go after the two months is up...on the 26 August...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
looks to me like you need a different machine as in one that treats centrals. They just seem way too high here. Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2014, 12:05 PM)storywizard Wrote: I am realizing that there must be more wrong with my sleep than sleep apnea. Yes the forced air is stopping my gasping for air at night and no or few night time bathroom breaks are good. But I just cannot get a good sleep.
PAP fixes sleep disordered breathing and NOTHING else. If your sleep was bad for other reasons in addition to to the undiagnosed OSA prior to your starting PAP therapy, it's likely to remain bad once the PAP therapy properly manages your OSA.

So you need to think in terms of what else might be causing your sleep problems.

And you need to give yourself enough time to fully learn how to sleep well with the mask.

I'd suggest starting by keeping a sleep journal for a few weeks. Include the following information:
  • Time to bed
  • Wake up time
  • Estimate of how long it took to get to sleep
  • Estimate of how many times you woke up and if you remember anything about what triggered a wake, jot that down. In particular, write down any PAP-related comfort issues: "Woke up with a large leak" or "Woke up with aerophagia" is good enough.
  • Estimate of total sleep time for the night
  • A quick note about whether you remember dreaming and whether you remember anything about your dreams
  • A list of all medication taken during the day
  • Notes about whether you consumed alcohol and/or caffeine during the day and how close to bedtime the last alcoholic or caffeinated beverage was consumed.
  • A simple scale for "How refreshed/rested do I feel on waking?"
  • A simple scale for "How did I feel during the day?"
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 128 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 570 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.