Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More trouble from DME mask/machine
More trouble from DME mask/machine
I'm trying to change DMEs because the one won't answer questions on the phone. I'm disabled and driving 50 miles to take daughter to them is killing me FOR MORE THAN ONE QUESTION and I have more than one!
I'm waiting for the doctor to give script to the new DME.  Waited a week, tomorrow will call and if no response I'll GO there.  cheesh.
OK thanks to you all I have some info and may change machines.  Dreamstation WAS putting a steady stream of air out, but now it ramps up and down with each breath.  Too many problems.  She has sedative medication and undoes the straps in her sleep.  Had trouble with nurses learning how to put it back together.  Next time I'm sewing it once I get a good fit.  Thanks for all your info.  Now I can do check mask fit.  At least I can do that now.  DMEs and their secrets!  Thank God for you all.  I cannot understand why she feels short of breath NOW when she didn't before.  Also why it ramps up and then down with her breaths.  Not the steady stream of air it used to have.  If it weren't  for you all I don't know what I'd do.  She stops breathing in her sleep so I have to fight the powers and get this right.
Thanks. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More trouble from DME mask/machine
It's worth the fight! Keep at it!

When I first started on CPAP, my Rx'd pressure of 5 was perfect for me. But as I adjusted to the therapy (2 weeks or so), I started feeling like I wasn't getting enough air - I'd pull the mask off, I'd yawn, etc. When I raised my pressure just a tad, that went away!

As far as the constant "stream of air" vs the up/down with each breath... My guess is you/someone somehow changed the exhale support setting. That's easy enough to go in and adjust. In the clinician settings, it's called Flex. The lower the number, the less of a gap in the up/down pressures with each breath. Or you can just turn it off, and it'll stay at the constant pressure no matter if you're breathing in/out.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you can do is download sleepyhead and post a couple of charts on here so we see what's going on. All you'll need is a SD card to record the info during the night and a card slot on your computer or you can pickup a card slot at the store. The links for sleepyhead and how arrange and post charts are below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
For lynneat's benefit:  In case you're not familiar with this stuff, below are images of an SD card and a USB card reader device (click thumbnails to enlarge).  If your computer already has an SD-card slot built in, then you don't need the USB gadget.  Typical retail prices are $10 for the card and $5 to $10 for the reader.  The card is a full-size SD card, not micro-SD, although it is possible to use a micro-SD if you get one that includes an adapter to make it full-size. This photo of the card reader shows both a full-size card and a micro card. The micro card will fit into the reader, but you need the adapter to use it with the CPAP machine.

Search strings on Amazon are "Transcend 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card TS2GSDC" for this cheapest one (you don't need more than 2 gigabytes), and "usb sd card reader" as a generic search for any make & model of reader.

[Image: 92286074_an-sd-card.jpg] [Image: 92286077_a-usb-sd-card-reader.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
be sure to check the filter also. a clogged filter will affect the air flow with each breath.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 227 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,242 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,222 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 197 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 302 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 259 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 506 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.