Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More trouble with SD card
RE: More trouble with SD card
(07-13-2014, 08:42 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 09:36 PM)diamaunt Wrote: google is my friend... and probably yours:

how to turn off that "feature"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...3f5?page=2
Apparently doesn't work with Home Edition.

The group policy editor part works, but, in theory, the registry editing part should work.

From the article:
"Try adding DWORD value DisableRemovableDriveIndexing = 1 in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Search" in the registry and restarting the PC"

Of course, telling noobs to go into the registry editor is scary.

Note I haven't tried it myself. Luckily, my PC is not infested with Windows 8.

Burn in hell, Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and successors.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 11:25 AM)retired_guy Wrote: No, you are only going to have this problem if you are using a non-compliant reader, or if you forget to lock the card.
The problem I am talking about is what do we tell folks when the problem seems to be that their default built-in SD card slot is a non-compliant reader.

If your computer's SD card slot cannot detect the position of the Lock tab (i.e. is "non-compliant"), then every time you stick the card into that slot and import the data, you're going to have this problem pop up even when you are careful to lock the card each time. And being repeatedly told to "just lock the card" is NOT going to fix their problem. And so we to address the problem they are facing. Maybe the best solution is to tell the affected folks: Buy an external SD card reader.

I strongly suspect that since MS regards the ability for Win 8.1 to write system files to removable media as a FEATURE, it may also be strongly recommending to the folks who make Win 8.1 machines to include built-in SD card readers that ignore the Lock switch. (I admit that I have no data to support this claim.) And if large numbers of Win 8.1 computers ARE being made with "non-compliant" SD card readers, then I expect we'll see an increasing number of folks like Canadian_Jesus who report that locking the SD card doesn't fix the problem.

Quote:Also, isn't everything except the 7 days of high res stored in the machine? I haven't noticed anything getting misplaced except for that.
Nope. Nothing except the summary data is written to the S9's internal memory.

You can test this by leaving the SD card out of the S9 all night. When you put the card back in and download the data into ResScan you will not be able to get any of the detailed graphs. In older versions of SH, SH will tell you there's no available data. In SH 0.9.6, SH will be able to display the summary data, but not the detailed graphs.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 11:59 AM)archangle Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 08:42 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 09:36 PM)diamaunt Wrote: google is my friend... and probably yours:

how to turn off that "feature"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...3f5?page=2
Apparently doesn't work with Home Edition.

The group policy editor part works, but, in theory, the registry editing part should work.

From the article:
"Try adding DWORD value DisableRemovableDriveIndexing = 1 in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Search" in the registry and restarting the PC"

Of course, telling noobs to go into the registry editor is scary.
Exactly my point.

Now if buying an external SD card reader that recognizes the physical lock switch works, the best thing to tell folks who get caught in this trap may be "buy an external SD card reader and see if that works."

Note I haven't tried it myself. Luckily, my PC is not infested with Windows 8.

Burn in hell, Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and successors.
[/quote]

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 12:01 PM)robysue Wrote: I strongly suspect that since MS regards the ability for Win 8.1 to write system files to removable media as a FEATURE, it may also be strongly recommending to the folks who make Win 8.1 machines to include built-in SD card readers that ignore the Lock switch.

This would fly in the face of all laws of computerism since God invented the floppy disk. Therefore, it is probably the case.

In the meantime, people could be asked to get one of the cheap SDCard to USB adapters available at their friendly drugstore or camera department. $10 or less, they're golden.

Post Reply Post Reply
We need to find out if the external card reader will be such that Windows 8 can not circumvent the lock reader. If this is the case, I think what retired_guy said is the solution. Purchase a cheap external card reader. I would do that in a flash if I was faced with this problem. Of course I paid $50 to get a proprietary card reader for my S8.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:people could be asked to get one of the cheap SDCard to USB adapters available at their friendly drugstore or camera department.

one of those cheap usb sdcard readers (that came with my little photo scanner) is one of the ones I have that does NOT detect the lock slider.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 02:06 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 12:08 PM)retired_guy Wrote: In the meantime, people could be asked to get one of the cheap SDCard to USB adapters available at their friendly drugstore or camera department. $10 or less, they're golden.

one of those cheap usb sdcard readers (that came with my little photo scanner) is one of the ones I have that does NOT detect the lock slider.

Mine does fine. I think I paid $8 for it. Yours is broken. Take it back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Yours is broken. Take it back.

Mine is *not* broken, it's working as designed. smaller mini and micro SD cards don't even *have* lock sliders on them.

saying otherwise, and dismissing the point only clouds the issue and will lead to more confusion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 06:27 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 06:05 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Mine does fine. I think I paid $8 for it. Yours is broken. Take it back.

I'm very happy for you, however mine is *not* broken, it's working as designed. smaller mini and micro SD cards don't even *have* lock sliders on them.

your saying otherwise, and dismissing the point only clouds the issue and will lead to more confusion.

Thank you for pointing out that I am clouding issues and creating confusion. What would I do without you.

To be very literally precise, the slider on an SDCard (which incidentally is present on any Resmed card I've seen) is a "software" convention, not a "hardware" convention. The SDCard itself reports the position of the switch to the operating system or other program which has every ability in the world to ignore it.

In the case of MY Windows 8.1, it honors the position of the switch. Yours may be different.

Also, if you happen to have a virus on your computer, there is every chance in the world it will ignore the position of the switch and infect the card. In which case Resmed will be very unhappy with the card.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:To be very literally precise, the slider on an SDCard (which incidentally is present on any Resmed card I've seen) is a "software" convention, not a "hardware" convention. The SDCard itself reports the position of the switch to the operating system or other program which has every ability in the world to ignore it.
the slider on the sd card is nothing more than a bit of plastic, just like the slider on the old 3.5" floppy disks. there's no connection internally inside the card.

deeper sd card readers *usually* have a little finger switch on the side that detects if the switch is in the 'unlocked' position, just like the old 3.5" floppies had to be slid to cover the hole, and if there was no slider, (as some people (aol) would send out floppies that were 'write protected' and you had to put a piece of tape over the hole, the same thing applies in SD cards. (there are threads out there about what to do if the plastic slider bit breaks off and the card is always seen as 'write protected'.

some sd card readers don't have that little finger on the side, and thus don't detect the position of the slider. anybody with that kind of reader will not be able to lock their card.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,143 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 277 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 254 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 501 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 730 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 950 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 851 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.