Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More trouble with SD card
RE: More trouble with SD card
The lock button is in fact hardware and it is the card reader that detects the position of the lock button and the card does not report the position of the lock..
Do a search on "How the SD-Card “lock switch” works".

There are also some very good images that show a disassembled SD card and the lock button with no electrical connections.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 06:54 PM)diamaunt Wrote: [Snip]
if I may, with no disrespect intended, the slider on the sd card is nothing more than a bit of plastic, just like the slider on the old 3.5" floppy disks. there's no connection internally inside the card.

deeper sd card readers *usually* have a little finger switch on the side that detects if the switch is in the 'unlocked' position, just like the old 3.5" floppies had to be slid to cover the hole, and if there was no slider, (as some people (aol) would send out floppies that were 'write protected' and you had to put a piece of tape over the hole, the same thing applies in SD cards. (there are threads out there about what to do if the plastic slider bit breaks off and the card is always seen as 'write protected'.

some sd card readers don't have that little finger on the side, and thus don't detect the position of the slider. anybody with that kind of reader will not be able to lock their card.

+ 1 for that!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 10:59 AM)retired_guy Wrote: It should be very rare that someone has a reader that ignores the SDCard lock feature.

(07-13-2014, 11:25 AM)retired_guy Wrote: you are only going to have this problem if you are using a non-compliant reader, or if you forget to lock the card.

(07-13-2014, 06:05 PM)retired_guy Wrote: To be very literally precise, the slider on an SDCard (which incidentally is present on any Resmed card I've seen) is a "software" convention, not a "hardware" convention. The SDCard itself reports the position of the switch to the operating system or other program which has every ability in the world to ignore it.

(07-13-2014, 07:03 PM)Skypilot Wrote: The lock button is in fact hardware and it is the card reader that detects the position of the lock button and the card does not report the position of the lock..

You are correct. It is the reader that senses the switch setting. In the above post, I should have said sdcard reader, not just sdcard. It then signals a program attempting to write to the card whether the lock is set or not. More and more it is being reported that Microsoft, virus writers, or others are able to "defeat" the locking action. To me, that makes it software, not hardware. But that discussion is actually irrelevant as to what the OP needs to do to solve his problem. My recommendation to the OP is to purchase an inexpensive SDCard to USB converter. It should take care of the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Moderator Note: Just a gentle reminder to everyone: Please stick to the subject matter of the thread and treat each other with respect and kindness.

If you find yourself getting angry at another member, it's probably best to step back and not post.

Thank you.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am running Windows 8.1 Home Edition and would like to help but unfortunately (or fortunately) my card reader does not allow Windows to alter the card when the lock is on. I installed the following card reader to accommodate Sleepyhead downloads. AFT PRO-57U USB 3.0 5.25" Bay All-in-one Internal Media Card Reader. I suspect that retired_guy is right in believing that card readers that ignore the lock are rare.
Post Reply Post Reply
For new users, I might suggest purchase of an inexpensive SD card (I used a 256MB size) to experiment with your current SD card reader if you start running into issues, which is what I ended up doing to figure out why I was getting the prompt [Had an S9 at the time, and I discovered the need to prevent ANY writing by Windows to the card, as it messed up the CRC or checksum.]

I use a laptop at home, which came with the SD card slot, and [obsessively, even to point of having a reminder label on my SD card] now ensure that the SD card lock is on before insertion into laptop. This thread got me curious...

I took a new, shrink-wrapped SD card and tried a variety of readers that I have access to, at home and as part of my work. We're a Dell shop, and while trying 10+ laptops, with built-in SD slots, running Win 7 through 8.1, all respected the lock.

A Precision Workstation [used for AutoCAD] with a factory-installed media card option also had no issues. My work desktop [where I had added an after-market 3.5"-sized device that can read all sorts of SD and other cards] ignored the lock - and I'll be replacing THAT so-called bargain Laugh-a-lot (which is why I like working in IT - learn something every day!). Way back in the day, early Apple floppy drives were totally software-driven [coding was cheaper than expensive hardware servos at the time]. I can see coding shortcuts being used to get around hardware costs in the really inexpensive USB multi-readers.

Finally, I tried another desktop system with an older external USB2-based reader by StarTech.com [a pretty good after-market supplier (I'm not affiliated with them) that is not the cheapest around] and that reader respected the lock. I have not yet tested the newest version {FCREADMICRO3} of this reader, but based on previous experience with their products and technical support, I've had few disappointments... OP and anyone else should be OK.

Card is relatively cheap, data loss can end up being expensive, health-wise...Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 07:52 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: del "F:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
rmdir "F:\System Volume Information

It asks me if I'm sure? Y/N, so I type Y and hit 'enter'

This solution does not work for me, as when I put my SD card back into my S9 elite unit, it still presents me with a message asking me to delete all data from my card.

First, make sure your SD card reader is drive F. Adjust the two commands if it is a different drive.
Second, wait a few seconds after entering the commands and then eject the card manually. DON'T use Windows' right-click eject or such -- If you ask Windows to eject it, it will re-write the dir/file you just deleted. Same if you leave it long enough for indexing to re-occur.

FYI, when I forget to lock the card, I use above procedure, then following to ensure Windows didn't sneak in before I ejected:
Lock card
re-insert into windows
Run following which should give the error "The system cannot find the file specified." if both the directory and file were successfully removed.

dir "F:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 10:15 AM)TzachyB Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 07:52 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: del "F:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
rmdir "F:\System Volume Information

It asks me if I'm sure? Y/N, so I type Y and hit 'enter'

This solution does not work for me, as when I put my SD card back into my S9 elite unit, it still presents me with a message asking me to delete all data from my card.

First, make sure your SD card reader is drive F. Adjust the two commands if it is a different drive.
Second, wait a few seconds after entering the commands and then eject the card manually. DON'T use Windows' right-click eject or such -- If you ask Windows to eject it, it will re-write the dir/file you just deleted. Same if you leave it long enough for indexing to re-occur.

FYI, when I forget to lock the card, I use above procedure, then following to ensure Windows didn't sneak in before I ejected:
Lock card
re-insert into windows
Run following which should give the error "The system cannot find the file specified." if both the directory and file were successfully removed.

dir "F:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"

Here is a web link that describes how to disable this feature in Win 8.1. This article talks about all versions of Win8:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-sy...folder-usb

I hope it helps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even better, thanks! Suggest closing thread with sgearhart's answer.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
This method does not appear to work with Windows 10 Pro. The policy editor puts the correct value into the registry, however the SystemVolumeInformation directory still appears on my SD card.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 701 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 882 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 800 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.