Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More trouble with SD card
More trouble with SD card
I have been using Sleepyhead for a month and a half now to read my graphs and gain a better understanding of what goes on with my sleep apnea during the night. But what I've found most practical from those graphs is the leak data. Using which, I have been able to manage my leaks; they are now effectively under control.

The problem remaining, a problem that I have had since I started reading my card data, is; whenever I read the data off the card using my laptop, my S9 elite gives a message saying I am using an invalid SD card. Then, it gives me an option whether or not to erase all card data. In order to use my SD card again, I have to select 'yes' , reformatting my card for further use all the while erasing all data on it.

I have all this time been copying and pasting the SD card into a folder on my laptop every time I read the data. Day at a time, or even up to a week at a time, compiling my data there so that I can copy and paste that onto my SD card when my Sleep Therapist needs to read it. I find this method impractical, as I can only find June's data on my Sleepyhead program and not in the DataLog folder. Oops, I guess I have done something wrong there in the process.

I have asked for help previously on this forum, telling me to lock the card when I read it; which I do. I have also been given a command to enter into command prompt, deleting the "system volume information" file that Windows 8 puts onto an unlocked SD card.

del "F:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
rmdir "F:\System Volume Information

It asks me if I'm sure? Y/N, so I type Y and hit 'enter'

This solution does not work for me, as when I put my SD card back into my S9 elite unit, it still presents me with a message asking me to delete all data from my card.

This forum has been extremely helpful and informative to me. I have learned basic data interpreting skills, and much information on how to make my mask fit best. Needless to say, this community has been more helpful than my sleep therapist at my DME! So, would you people be so kind as to offer further input into this persisting issue that I have been having?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More trouble with SD card
How frustrating for you! I'm using SleepyHead with Windows 8.1 and haven't had the problems you're having. I simply save my data on SleepyHead. Locking my card seems to have stopped my ResMed S9 Autoset from giving me the same prompt you are getting on your machine. Wish I could help you, but I can't. I'm sure someone else will come along soon with a solution - or, other things to try.

Five stars for learning all you've learned and reducing you mask leaks! I think you made a keen observation about mask leaks. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 07:52 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: I have all this time been copying and pasting the SD card into a folder on my laptop every time I read the data. Day at a time, or even up to a week at a time, compiling my data there so that I can copy and paste that onto my SD card when my Sleep Therapist needs to read it.

Hi Canadian_Jesus,

Every time the machine reformats the SD card (or erases all data), it will copy onto the card the most recent year's worth of compliance data (hours of use per night) plus statistical summary data for each night. (Mean Leaks, 95 percentile Leaks and Max Leaks, AHI, Obstructive OAI, Central CAI, etc.)

If the Sleep Therapist would be interested in more than just compliance data and statistical summary data (and if so, then kudos to him!) then I would suggest that you not download any data from your card for the 7 days immediately prior to your appointment with the Sleep Therapist. That way he will be able to review one week of full detailed data. Immediately after the appointment (before you return the SD card to the machine and turn the machine ON again) you could download the data on the card into SleepyHead and/or ResScan.

By the way, if using a new SD card does not help, perhaps you have a virus on your laptop which is writing to the card?

Good luck and take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
it's a well known issue with windows 8.1 and some macos's,

not being a windows person, I don't remember the 'helpful feature' that microsoft put on windows 8.1 that corrupts the card (it's not sleepyhead) but others in the forum know, and will hopefully chime in.

in the meantime, locking the card *should* keep windows from being able to write anything..

if it's still writing things, then you've got a card reader that ignores the little lock tab.

there's some way (reportedly) to tell windows not to do the indexy thing... I think, but I don't know what it is.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 07:52 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: The problem remaining, a problem that I have had since I started reading my card data, is; whenever I read the data off the card using my laptop, my S9 elite gives a message saying I am using an invalid SD card. Then, it gives me an option whether or not to erase all card data. In order to use my SD card again, I have to select 'yes' , reformatting my card for further use all the while erasing all data on it.
and
Quote:I have asked for help previously on this forum, telling me to lock the card when I read it; which I do. I have also been given a command to enter into command prompt, deleting the "system volume information" file that Windows 8 puts onto an unlocked SD card.

It asks me if I'm sure? Y/N, so I type Y and hit 'enter'

This solution does not work for me, as when I put my SD card back into my S9 elite unit, it still presents me with a message asking me to delete all data from my card.
It does not surprise me that deleting the system volume information does not work. That can still leave traces that the card's contents have been "changed".

But you also seem to be saying that physically locking the card does not work either. And that's a big concern: The SD card is a physical lock, not a software lock, and apparently your computer is getting around that physical lock in some fashion.

Some things to try in terms of troubleshooting the issue:

1) Put a locked SD card into your computer and try to write a file to it. (I'd suggest NOT using your S9's SD card for this experiment.) If you can write a file to a locked SD card, then you know there's something not right in how your computer is reacting to the lock on the SD card. Perhaps the SD slot is worn enough where it can't tell the position of the Lock switch. In that case, using a new SD card reader plugged into a USB port might be the answer.

2) Run a complete malware scan on your computer's system even if you do keep up-to-date anti-virus software on your computer. Way, way, way back in Fall 2010, I had this problem every time I imported my Resmed S9 AutoSet's SD card into ResScan on a Windows XP machine even though I locked the card. I could put the locked SD card into my mac and back up the DATALOG folder and stick it back into the S9 and the S9 didn't complain. But if I put the card into the XP machine and then back into the S9, the S9 squawked big time. Hubby finally told me to run a full malware scan, and we found some viruses and/or worms. Disinfecting the XP fixed the problem.

3) Try a brand new SD card. Perhaps the lock switch on the SD card itself is faulty and replacing the card might fix the problem.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Try rebooting, unplug from wall socket, wait a while and plug back, if does not helps:
might be corrupt SD card, faulty card reader, machine SD card slot faulty spring, or something else have not come across before yet
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 08:58 PM)robysue Wrote: The SD card is a physical lock, not a software lock, and apparently your computer is getting around that physical lock in some fashion.

Robysue, the lock on an sd card is just a sliding bit of plastic, like the locks on the old 3.5" floppy disks, the actual write protect activity happens in the card reader, and not all of them have the little switch that detects whether the slider is locked or not.

that may be the OP's problem.

I've got a usb sd card reader right here that's that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take out my SD card to read the data - I have had the SD card not recognised so I turned off the machine by holding the power button down for several seconds and then inserted the SD card and power on and all was fine - the SD card was recognised and read.

I used to get the message on my win 7 64 pc that (Words to the effect) I needed to format the SD card but I ignored that and went to the software and the card was still read and working well.

I also copy the data from the SD card to the PC - I have also copied the saved data to another SD card and have taken that to the sleep doc and he was able to read that OK although he did look at the card quizzically as it was not the normal ResMed card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 07:52 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: I have asked for help previously on this forum, telling me to lock the card when I read it; which I do. I have also been given a command to enter into command prompt, deleting the "system volume information" file that Windows 8 puts onto an unlocked SD card.

Gosh CJ, what a pain for you.

As Diamaunt suggests, it may be a goofyness with your reader.

For openers however, when you entered the "Del F:" stuff, was the card set to lock? If so, by definition the "Del F:" stuff would fail.

Here's the script I use each morning. I put the SDCard in the machine, unlocked, and execute Sleepyhead from a file containing the following: (Note I'm drive "F:" where you're drive "G:")

@echo off
cd C:\Users\John\Desktop\SleepyHead-20140623-Win32-0.9.6-testbuild-Qt5.3.0-BrokenGL-WinXP-MinGW\SleepyHead-20140623-Win32-0.9.6-testbuild-Qt5.3.0-BrokenGL-WinXP
SleepyHead.exe
del "g:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
rmdir "g:\System Volume Information"

Notice the script calls Sleepyhead first, then futzes with the card. I don't know if that matters or not.

All I did to create this script on the desktop was right-click and create a new Notepad file. Then entered the text and did a "Save As" Sleepy.bat.
Post Reply Post Reply
google is my friend... and probably yours:

how to turn off that "feature"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...3f5?page=2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 211 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,875 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 460 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 702 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 884 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 800 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.